The Student Room Group

Mental breakdown from english!

Hi all,
I am having a mental breakdown!! I have just done my English iGCSE Language and I've totally messed it up! I did question 3, 1 and then I had 10 minutes to do number 2. So as you can imagine, question 2 will be absolutely terrible because I couldn't even think about what the quotes meant when I was writing them down. I don't think I'll get any marks on question 2. I always got B's in my mocks, and I think ive got a D in this one. My coursework is at a B, but that would only make it about a C overall. I really wanted a B, as that's what I need for Uni to do dentistry! If I do get only a C..or below..when would I resit it? And does the resit even get taken into account? Thanks guys - hope it went well for everyone else !:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blonde_girl_
Hi all,
I am having a mental breakdown!! I have just done my English iGCSE Language and I've totally messed it up! I did question 3, 1 and then I had 10 minutes to do number 2. So as you can imagine, question 2 will be absolutely terrible because I couldn't even think about what the quotes meant when I was writing them down. I don't think I'll get any marks on question 2. I always got B's in my mocks, and I think ive got a D in this one. My coursework is at a B, but that would only make it about a C overall. I really wanted a B, as that's what I need for Uni to do dentistry! If I do get only a C..or below..when would I resit it? And does the resit even get taken into account? Thanks guys - hope it went well for everyone else !:smile:

calm the hell down, its only gcse's...
Original post by LearnForYOU

Hate when people say things like this. GCSEs are important when applying to university as many require at least a B in English.

So if you're just going to be condescending then don't bother posting at all.
Reply 3
Yes - but that's GCSEs determines my future career

No, no it doesn't. And whoever made you think that is a moron.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmNero
No, no it doesn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I don't get a B in English Lang I can't get into the uni I'm wanting to get into?
Reply 5
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Hate when people say things like this. GCSEs are important when applying to university as many require at least a B in English.

Completely wrong, not only that but completely misleading. Most require a C or above in Maths and English, but it is never a core requirement. Don't post if you do not know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by LearnForYOU

They're not 'only' for those who are doing it this year. It's a priority for them. In a couple of years it probably won't matter but for the next few years it will.
Original post by ScienceFantatic

Thank you! I know it's not the end of the world for some people but I really needed this B for Leeds uni!:frown:
Hi all,

You dont know. Dont panic, but move on and focus on your next exam as you cnat do anything now. Learn the lesson of timing and alloting equal time to questions. You probably havent doen as poorly as you think, but deal with it later. You cna resit if need be.
Reply 9
Hi all,

If the situation for re sit comes then November is the best option. However there's still hope for a B considering you did reasonably well on Q1 and 2
Hi all,

Something like that happened to me last year. I would say you would have to resit if you don't get the grade you want. Re-mark is only if you think you did better than the grade you got/really close to another grade.

But keep in mind that because of changes to the curriculum, if you decide to resit, exams will only be graded the same way from November. In the Summer of 2017 they'll use that whole 1-9 thing. Good luck.
Calm down! You have to remember that everything seems worse than what is actually is! You're probably not the only one that struggled with the exam, so just accept that it didn't go to plan, and move on. Put that exam to bed and move on, focussing on you're other upcoming exams :smile:
Obviously GCSE's are a priority right now, but by next year you will have forgotten about them. A levels are the main deciding factor, and your choice of university is likely to change over the next couple of years too. At the end of the day, do not stress! I thought I did awful in my GCSE's, although my own fault as I didn't revise for them, but got no lower than a B in anything. I am sure you will have done well, don't stress! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Questioness
Something like that happened to me last year. I would say you would have to resit if you don't get the grade you want. Re-mark is only if you think you did better than the grade you got/really close to another grade.

But keep in mind that because of changes to the curriculum, if you decide to resit, exams will only be graded the same way from November. In the Summer of 2017 they'll use that whole 1-9 thing. Good luck.

Thank you ! I didn't know when I would be able to resit before this changing of course thingy! Thank you :smile:
Reply 14
Thank you! I know it's not the end of the world for some people but I really needed this B for Leeds uni!:frown:

No you don't. It's a minor setback if you don't get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmNero
Completely wrong, not only that but completely misleading. Most require a C or above in Maths and English, but it is never a core requirement. Don't post if you do not know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to go to the top universities and do dentistry many will require you to achieve a B.

Pretty much all of them will require at least a C. I'm not sure why people like you try to start petty arguments and act like they know more than others.

Get over yourself.
Original post by A-LJLB
Obviously GCSE's are a priority right now, but by next year you will have forgotten about them. A levels are the main deciding factor, and your choice of university is likely to change over the next couple of years too. At the end of the day, do not stress! I thought I did awful in my GCSE's, although my own fault as I didn't revise for them, but got no lower than a B in anything. I am sure you will have done well, don't stress! :h:

Thank you so much...hopefully I will be proved wrong! :smile:
Reply 17
Hi all,

that's what i did, i did the bullet points first, then Q1 then Q2 but because i was running out of time i had to do the summary and Q2 simultaneously. Q2 was very rushed and i didnt get to finish the summary:frown: , hopefully question one and the bullet points were good
Thank you so much...hopefully I will be proved wrong! :smile:

Honestly, work hard for what you want and nothing will stop you. I am sure you will, good luck!
Original post by Amrw
that's what i did, i did the bullet points first, then Q1 then Q2 but because i was running out of time i had to do the summary and Q2 simultaneously. Q2 was very rushed and i didnt get to finish the summary:frown: , hopefully question one and the bullet points were good

It's so annoying! I keep thinking how I should have done Q3 bullet points, Q1, Q2 and then gone back to do Q3 summary as its only worth 5 marks! Argh! Now just got to focus on our other exams - biology next which I'm trying to knuckle down at as its one of the A-levels I want to take..good luck! Hopefully we will be surprised with our English Lang!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending