The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dbrownbeast
i didnt sign it off, will i get marked for that?

Yeah I forgot to sign off as well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by examhater44
Guys in Q2 could we have talked about the husbands stubbornness and fussiness:

"unimpressed", "complaining loudly"

I think so, I used exactly those 2 and I also explained the adverb "loudly"
yes
What points did you all write for 3a ?
Got a feeling I failed this test as I missed a key point out on question 1
Original post by thecomputernerd
yes as long as you used imagery and good annotations you are good, I used those two quotes but developed it of course

I wrote about the use of 'tatty trinkets' and how he didn't like what they were selling and didn't like the town
Original post by tmg1999
is CCD a point in itself for question 3!?

Hope so, I put that because I couldn't find anything if I'm honest
Jesus why couldn't Mr.Head just be happy he got a free holiday smh.
I got 38/40 on all 3 coursework pieces and 30/30 on S+L.

How many marks do I need for an A or an A*?
What is the formula for working out the marks needed for certain grades?
I am partially concerned about the exam; question 1, 2 and 3b were all rather easy, however I soon found myself struggling to find points in question 3a. I initially only found 10/15 points and had to go out on a bit of a limb for the other 5
Original post by JasmineMartin99
I ended question 1 as "speak soon from (my name)" instead of Maria - however in the whole letter I showed that i knew I was Maria but I stupidly forgot when signing off, do you think I will get marks deducted?

I did the same as you, you're not the only one, don't worry about it. I asked a few of my English teachers about it and they said the most they would knock off was about 3 marks as long as you wrote it in the correct format and had the content.
(edited 7 years ago)
was it just me who thought 2 hours wasn't enough???
Original post by SkyeAmber
Hope so, I put that because I couldn't find anything if I'm honest

I used that point as well, I honestly didn't know which points to use
Original post by Jagraj16
I got 38/40 on all 3 coursework pieces and 30/30 on S+L.

How many marks do I need for an A or an A*?
What is the formula for working out the marks needed for certain grades?

Speaking is out of 20 ?.

To work it out you 0.843 x (S&L) + (CorseWork)
-eg 0.843 x 12 = 10 + 36 = 46
-eg C=76. 46 - 76 = for a c - 29

HOWEVER the grades may change they can go up or down
i wrote more than the 250-350 words suggested for question 1 and 2 i was told it doesn't matter but i just wanna check that i cant lose marks for it ? If so how many? Please help i'm getting stressed about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Although I acknowledge it is difficult to predict one's mark, what do we all think we got in the exam out of 50?
Original post by Phoebe2108
right guys so im really worried heres what i did
q1) bullet point 1:
- welcoming staff - met me at the airport and made an effort to provide me with a comfortable stay
- exactly like the website description - tranquil, great views etc
- impressed with the scenery etc
-cant really remember my point
bullet point 2:
-husband had a bad attitude to the hotel and was rude to staff (complained about the market and thing
-made the staff change their plans because they were dull
-acted irresponsibly and hurt himself - injury disturbed the atmosphere of the holiday
bullet point 3;
-continue writing and enjoying the surroundings (she had a note pad and it said she was a talented writer?)
-explore the town/highlights of the tour
-write a good review of the hotel

question 2 - focused my points arounf the idea of a 'mirage' thats only seen by those who search for it for paragraph 4 and talked about the connotations of sunlight and talked about the word 'entranced' and how it captivated the reader

paragraph 6 - wrote about 'a rainbow of produce' because rainbows have a connotation of bringing fortune and are rare etc aand discussed the contrasting quotes like tatty trinkets etc

question 3 i probably did all the bulllet points wrong and wrote similar ones and that

i really wanted an A but it seems like i blew it judging by the comments

lol i really struggled to create an effect out of mirage - i had no clue what it meant, along with a few other words. maybe i need to work on my vocab
Can we have a separate thread for people who want to spam: "What's the grade boundary" and "How do I work out my mark".

Anyhow.
For "tatty trinkets", did anyone say anything like: repetition of the "t" sounds sharp/harsh on the tongue and thus reflects Mr Head's attitude and personality on the holiday. (utter s*** but possibility for marks?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Redcoats
Although I acknowledge it is difficult to predict one's mark, what do we all think we got in the exam out of 50?

Honestly I thought it was a hard paper with being question 1 the hardest then 3 the easiest.
All I want is a C that's what I'm happy with but I'm not sure if I would get one ;/
Original post by LifeInEducation
i wrote more than the 250-350 words suggested for question 1 and 2 i was told it doesnt matter but i just wanna check that i cant lose marks for it ? If so how many

nope you don't get penalised at all for going over the word count in questions 1-2. it only matters on q3 - the summary.
Original post by Redcoats

Hopefully 25+

Quick Reply

Latest