The Student Room Group

How did you find the IGCSE English Language exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiniun
huh?

did u do higher?
Guy's do you think that the grade boundaries are gonna drop?
I was advised to do Q3 then Q1,Q2.
Q1 was easiest for me
Q3 was okay
Q2- I only managed to do 7 paragraphs(ran out of time) im so upset.
Reply 23
Original post by Rhianmaghie
did u do higher?

Yep

Guy's do you think that the grade boundaries are gonna drop?

No lol, CIE is known for changing up the grade boundaries all the time and being as we are the last year to even do this exam It's most probably gonna go up
Original post by abbigm1
Of all exams to f up on I'm glad it was this one tbh at least now I know this isn't a joke and not to look at invigilators instead of writing as if I've never seen people before

its so annoying when the invigilators stare ugh..
Reply 25
Original post by bikiniikilll
Q1 was easiest for me
Q3 was okay

7 is fine!
On previous mark schemes it says that as long as the student has a minimum of 3 quotes for each paragraph, attaining high marks is still possible - depending on the content of your explanations as well ofc
Original post by abbigm1
Of all exams to f up on I'm glad it was this one tbh at least now I know this isn't a joke and not to look at invigilators instead of writing as if I've never seen people before

really? English Language is THE most important GCSE next being amths
Original post by Kiniun
Yep

No lol, CIE is known for changing up the grade boundaries all the time and being as we are the last year to even do this exam It's most probably gonna go up

Nope i doubt as some ppl found it hard therefore, the exam board will take this into account and then either keep the boundaries the same or drop them hopefully. Last year maths, everyone legit complained and the exam board did drop the grade boundarie, hope its the same for english
Reply 28
Nope i doubt as some ppl found it hard therefore, the exam board will take this into account and then either keep the boundaries the same or drop them hopefully. Last year maths, everyone legit complained and the exam board did drop the grade boundarie, hope its the same for english

I really really hope so
Original post by Kiniun
7 is fine!
On previous mark schemes it says that as long as the student has a minimum of 3 quotes for each paragraph, attaining high marks is still possible - depending on the content of your explanations as well ofc

Thanks! Do you know if they will divide the total amount of marks(whole paper) by 2?
What did you guys write for a2 and a3 for question 1?
Reply 31
Original post by karnan1999
really? English Language is THE most important GCSE next being amths

I'm aware of this but I'm not in the position where I'm gonna fail English language as 60% of my grade is an A* so I'm in a calm position
I panicked as it was the first exam and I'm saying I would rather have panicked in a subject that isn't 100% exam-based rather than in an exam from May 16th on wards
Original post by Kiniun
I really really hope so

another thing, last year the students went extreme and started tweeting the Cambridge Board and you know, saying soooooooo much stuff to them :P and then they dropped the grade boundaries, which was good news to the students.
Original post by bikiniikilll
Q1 was easiest for me.
Q3 was okay

Yeah we were advised to do q. 3 first too and lol I only did like 3 paragraphs in total for q. 2. I floppppped i guess that A* is out of the bag lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys can u explain how this coursework and speaking + L works, and then the exam??? not a year 11 on here...would be nice explaining it to me...
Original post by I'm_infires
Yeah we were advised to do q. 3 first too and lol I only did like 3 paragraphs in total for q. 2. I floppppped i guess that A* is out of the bag lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

A is still good :biggrin: I did be happy with a B,nothing below.
It went al-right.
Think I got a bee.

It's ok if you feel you did bad keep you M.R Head up!
Reply 37
Original post by T0s1n_100
Had no idea what colony collapse disorder was before

it was very interesting tbh.
its so annoying when the invigilators stare ugh..

omg me too! its like i cannot even look anywhere apart from my paper. While they stare, i just forget what to write next.
Original post by TheYearNiner
In Question 2 I didn't understand most of the vocabulary used in paragraph 4:frown:

Original post by Starlight15
Yes like "(something) gowns" "rainbow of..." and "tratty blah blah" and had to guess the meaning and the effect

I found this??
https://m.imgur.com/a/zHXfq#qAU67nG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending