The Student Room Group

National 5 English

Hi! Is anyone doing Edwin Morgan poems for the textual analysis? If so, what poem do you think it will be this year?( praying it's not Good Friday!!!) how many quotations have you learnt for 8-marker? :smile:
I'm doing Edwin Morgan too. It is not very likely that it will be hyena or on the snack bar as they have been used before. We did winter for the prelim.
I'm not so keen on good Friday either as it is the poem that we were taught the least.
Ive learned four quotations per poem but I really need to revise for the critical essay as I have done no practice essays at home and it is in 2 days :frown: although I did get 17/20 in the prelim.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ___Sophie___
I'm doing Edwin Morgan too. It is not very likely that it will be hyena or on the snack bar as they have been used before. We did winter for the prelim.
I'm not so keen on good Friday either as it is the poem that we were taught the least.
Ive learned four quotations per poem but I really need to revise for the critical essay as I have done no practice essays at home and it is in 2 days :frown: although I did get 17/20 in the prelim.

We did Winter aswell for our Prelim :smile:
I haven't done any essay practice either:/ what are you doing it on? I'm doing it on the novel Frankenstein.. So so fun hahaha not. Really worried about which question will come up on the day! It 'll either go really well or really badly! Have you done any close reading practice?x
Original post by Marina1264
We did Winter aswell for our Prelim :smile:
I haven't done any essay practice either:/ what are you doing it on? I'm doing it on the novel Frankenstein.. So so fun hahaha not. Really worried about which question will come up on the day! It 'll either go really well or really badly! Have you done any close reading practice?x

We are doing Macbeth. I really hope there is a character or a theme question and not one about effective opening. However there has not been a question about effective opening yet so it is likely.
We did our close reading prelim quite early in November and since then we really haven't done much.
I definitely need to look over how to answer the different types of questions because I'm aiming for 26/30 in the close reading so that if the essay question is really difficult then my grade won't suffer if I get high marks in everything else.
I'm really worried about my handwriting though because you need to write so much and everyone really struggles to read my handwriting so it could cause me to lose marks. :frown:
Reply 4
I always struggle with all the writing aswell hahaha my hand starts spasming and then my writing goes all weird.. Anyway! Haha good luck!!! Tell me how you found it on Thursday! :tongue:
I always struggle with all the writing aswell hahaha my hand starts spasming and then my writing goes all weird.. Anyway! Haha good luck!!! Tell me how you found it on Thursday! :tongue:

Best of luck for you aswell :smile:

How did you find the good Friday questions? I'm a quite worried as I really struggled with one of the questions and I'm not sure if I chose the correct idea for the 8 marker.
However the close reading went well and the essay question went well I think :smile:
Reply 7
How did you find the good Friday questions? I'm a quite worried as I really struggled with one of the questions and I'm not sure if I chose the correct idea for the 8 marker.
However the close reading went well and the essay question went well I think :smile:

That was the exact same as me! I was so annoyed about it being Good Friday! What human themes did you talk about? I did religion, love and celebration or something... Completely messed it up I think hahaha what are human themes!
Reply 8
Is there any marking scheme to the close reading and if not when could I get access to some answers?
Reply 9
How did everyone find the exam? Shame it actually turned out to be Good Friday.
:frown:

I wrote about human love and linked it to TRIO in the 8 marker!

Who else found the last two questions on the close reading hard?
(edited 7 years ago)
That was the exact same as me! I was so annoyed about it being Good Friday! What human themes did you talk about? I did religion, love and celebration or something... Completely messed it up I think hahaha what are human themes!

I compared it to in the snack bar and said the human theme was how we judge other people lol its probably wrong. I know a couple of people who did religion through the idea of resurrection. I didn't like the wording of the question though, it wasn't specific enough :frown:
Original post by JFizz
How did everyone find the exam? Shame it actually turned out to be Good Friday.
:frown:

I wrote about human love and linked it to TRIO in the 8 marker!

Who else found the last two questions on the close reading hard?

Yeah that question about contrast was hard but apart from that I think the other questions were quite good :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah that question about contrast was hard but apart from that I think the other questions were quite good :smile:

yeah I wasn't sure what the contrast was for that question and had really ran out of time for the last 5 marker :frown:

Was anyone studying Macbeth to use for writing the essay?
Original post by JFizz
yeah I wasn't sure what the contrast was for that question and had really ran out of time for the last 5 marker :frown:

Was anyone studying Macbeth to use for writing the essay?

Yeah we did Macbeth too.
What question did you pick?
When I read the first question I was horrified but then I saw the question about theme and I was so happy :h:
We're doing MacCaig, MacBeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending