The Student Room Group

my school wont give us study leave :(

not sure how to word this but my school have literally refused to give us study leave, even after we all made a petition that they said could help them change their mind if there was enough signature. Its annoying because every other school in our district is on study leave.

I just wanted to see whoever else is on study leave, and for those of you who have already done their GCSE's, did you have study leave, if so did it help? If not, did you struggle? I'm trying to bring up a valid argument to my headteacher (who, by the way, is really new and has made some awful changes within my school and we're the only year 11 group to not get study leave so far)

my main argument is that the school has given us about 5 sets of mocks this year that has thrown almost everyone off, we're all stressed out and some teachers have argued that we've been the most exhausted year group so far, which i believe is a fitting reason for us to have study leave. Unfortunately these teachers refused to vouch for us, for fear of their own jobs, but thats another story...

Scroll to see replies

We're not having it either and we're a level students :frown:
Hardly any schools/sixth forms in England have study leave now
Reply 3
Original post by 1secondsofvamps

whyyyy thats so ugly
Reply 4
I had study leave (2015 cohort) and it really benefited me. It allowed me to revise what I thought I was weakest in. When you're at school, the teacher won't necessarily be revising the stuff you personally need to - they'll be revising stuff the teacher chooses. Also, you'll be pretty tired by the time you get home, limiting the amount of valuable revision you can do.

And when you're having exams, you can choose which subject to prioritise (e.g. revising for a History exam the day before a History exam is logical - revising Science before a History exam isn't, which is what you'll end up doing without having study leave).

I'm sorry your school aren't allowing You to have it. Could you just not go into school (will you parents allow you)? That's what I would do.
Reply 5

Every school/college in my area have it - a lot of the people on TSR do, too.
Our school's giving us study leave in two weeks, but I'd rather not have it, since I'd be less likely to actual revision done on my own.

Spoiler

I'd say just to make the most of the fact that you've got your teachers for longer so that they can help you more with exam techniques and whatever questions you might end up having.
Fight them bruh. Give em the good ol one two ya know?
Original post by celloel
Every school/college in my area have it - a lot of the people on TSR do, too.

It's what one of my teachers told me. When I did my GCSEs last year I didn't get study leave and neither any other schools in my area. Now in college there aren't any study leave either
Reply 9
Original post by TheOtherSide.

I'd say just to make the most of the fact that you've got your teachers for longer so that they can help you more with exam techniques and whatever questions you might end up having.

It's not like teachers disappear the second you get study leave. If you go to school (even college), they'll still be at the school, teaching other year groups/other courses/just at school. A lot also offer revision sessions.

There's also email - you can still contact teachers for help and advice.
It's what one of my teachers told me. When I did my GCSEs last year I didn't get study leave and neither any other schools in my area. Now in college there aren't any study leave either

Maybe it's a regional thing? I'd hate that though, it really helped me with my GCSEs (last year as well) & I have it for my A levels too
Reply 11
Original post by celloel
I had study leave (2015 cohort) and it really benefited me. It allowed me to revise what I thought I was weakest in. When you're at school, the teacher won't necessarily be revising the stuff you personally need to - they'll be revising stuff the teacher chooses. Also, you'll be pretty tired by the time you get home, limiting the amount of valuable revision you can do.

And when you're having exams, you can choose which subject to prioritise (e.g. revising for a History exam the day before a History exam is logical - revising Science before a History exam isn't, which is what you'll end up doing without having study leave).

I'm sorry your school aren't allowing You to have it. Could you just not go into school (will you parents allow you)? That's what I would do.

exactly my point! I am way too tired by the time I get home, which cuts off my revision time. Plus the whole sleeping/waking up early mess really messes up my concentration throughout the day when I'm at school.

My teachers force their specific methods of revising on us which again, throws me off and confuses me.

Thank you sooo much for your input I knew I was right.
Reply 12
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Our school's giving us study leave in two weeks, but I'd rather not have it, since I'd be less likely to actual revision done on my own.

Spoiler

They literally haven't taught us exam techniques in the 2 years we've had with them, they're pathetic at answering questions, I'm really at the worst school.
Reply 13
Original post by Someboady
Fight them bruh. Give em the good ol one two ya know?

I'm considering getting myself excluded like some girls have already done; they're literally staying at home and revising.
Reply 14
Original post by celloel
It's not like teachers disappear the second you get study leave. If you go to school (even college), they'll still be at the school, teaching other year groups/other courses/just at school. A lot also offer revision sessions.

We still get study leave but they've moved it so that its pretty much after all our exams are finished. We asked my form tutor why and she said it's because some students didn't bother to come back so this way, it's easier to make sure everyone is here for their exams.

Wonder why...is there a new policy or something now in place?
Reply 16
Original post by senpyi
We still get study leave but they've moved it so that its pretty much after all our exams are finished. We asked my form tutor why and she said it's because some students didn't bother to come back so this way, it's easier to make sure everyone is here for their exams.

Its horrible that we have to suffer for a /few/ people. I'd rather not stay in school around a bunch of stressed out people before an exam, know what I mean? I'd rather come in, relaxed and focused at my own pace instead of waiting around like everyone else.
Original post by celloel

Suppose so, except I'm sure fewer people will take the initiative to actually get round to going up to teachers if they're not basically made to be there in school. Dunno, that's just what I think.
Reply 18
My school isnt letting us have one aswell :frown: and its not like we can try to change their minds cos last years year 11s didnt get one aswell. Im just doing as much revision as i can at home and Ill take a day off every week or smth
i know my school dont because loads of people just chose not to revise -_-

Quick Reply

Latest