The Student Room Group

STEM snobbery

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yashvi
I'm a STEM student but I personally really admire those who do arts because it takes a lot of courage to do what you truly love even if it doesn't yield the best career/financial results. Many STEM students are only studying their degree because they think it's a safer choice in terms of job security. It takes guts to take a risk by studying arts. This doesn't mean that arts students can't get a stable job, it's just harder for them to do so.

Law is an example of a highly paid employment area in the arts/humanities.

Can you prove that STEM degrees yield better 'financial results'?
Reply 81
I'm pleased you found that helpful, someone else may have had different experiences though! What A Levels are you planning on taking?
Original post by iEthan
French! :teeth: and Spanish :teeth:

Everyone has their own special way of learning a language. I like the security of being taught in a classroom environment :yep:

Why learn two lol thats like 2 degrees you crazy
Granted yes it is better than doing nothing but it is nowhere near as respected as basically any STEM subject at GCSE or A-Level.
Original post by Youngmetro
Why learn two lol thats like 2 degrees you crazy

Because I love 'em! :yep:
Original post by iEthan
Because I love 'em! :yep:

lol im a german language kinda guy myself
Reply 86
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Law is an example of a highly paid employment area in the arts/humanities.

Can you prove that STEM degrees yield better 'financial results'?

What I said was a generalization, but one which is relatively accurate. NOT ALL arts/humanities areas have poor job/financial stability and NOT ALL STEM areas have good job/financial stability. It just tends to be that way in most cases.

As for proof, I don't exactly have the time to search for myself but I guarantee that there is research out there on earnings of arts/humanities graduates vs STEM graduates if you want cold hard statistics to prove it. But really, it's common knowledge that STEM jobs are usually easier to find, offer more job security, and pay more. There are exceptions for sure, but the general trend is like this.
Original post by Yashvi
But really, it's common knowledge that STEM jobs are usually easier to find, offer more job security, and pay more.

Have you actually looked at the figures that show this? Or are you just going with what you've been told? 'Common knowledge' is a poor source to cite. The figures suggest that there is not a STEM crisis at all; there is in fact a surplus of STEM graduates, and that's going to get even worse with all the new students studying in STEM thinking that they have better job prospects.
Reply 88
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Have you actually looked at the figures that show this? Or are you just going with what you've been told? 'Common knowledge' is a poor source to cite. The figures suggest that there is not a STEM crisis at all; there is in fact a surplus of STEM graduates, and that's going to get even worse with all the new students studying in STEM thinking that they have better job prospects.

I'm sorry if I've offended you but I was just speculating. When I say it's common knowledge, I mean that I've met many people in my life who have experienced the disadvantages of an arts degree over a STEM degree in the past. This may be changing now, but many people still have the idea stuck in their head that STEM degrees are more valuable. I'll repeat this once more because I think you're misjudging my intentions - I do not think that STEM degrees are any better than arts degrees and I have not chosen to study a STEM degree because of the perceived financial benefits or job security.

And yes, I could go and research, but I think you're forgetting that this forum is a place for candid discussion and not a bloody economics essay where I need to cite everything I say the minute I decide to join a conversation. For goodness sake, why can't people just chill out?It's impossible to say anything on here without being attacked.
Human is not like a plant. Stem & root can make a plant. But they can't make a human. Does a plant need morality or ethics? Some people in NSF should realize they are humans,not machines..not plants.

Only STEM can't create the peaceful world.:-)

1462830593540.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest