The Student Room Group

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor?

And if so why?

Scroll to see replies

as long as they have the right qualifications I couldn't give a ****
Original post by Mathemagicien
Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place

What's this supposed to mean?
Reply 3
Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place

Woah
U no. U no. :colone:

Its not much of an issue in healthcare, I'd imagine, since only a small proportion of doctors are white British. But anyway

http://rentaminority.com/

Doctors all have an MBBS or some sort of qualification, ethnicity is irrelevant.

It seems like its white ppl are the ones using this lol
As long as they do this, as soon as I get into their clinic:

Did you want honest answers or not? Its the effect of 'drives for diversity in the workplace' and quotas.

You gotta problem with the skin colour of your doctor?
Original post by Mojo Banjo
And if so why?

What country are you messaging from firstly? Seriously.
The only people that I've seen who have had issues with the colour of a doctors skin have been the racist/ignorant type/mentally challenged.
Idc as long as they're hot :sexface:

My GP is a 50 year old :frown:

Trying to attract right wingers of TSR I see
Reply 10
Tbh, I'd feel more comfortable around a doctor that looked like me or had similar features relatable to me e.g. Ethnic backgorund/Fairly young/Female etc
In general, I think people feel more at ease when they are around people that look like them
Why does colour matter when they can save your life. :smile:
:rolleyes:
These ppl have worked hard to become a doctor, give up their time for you and you spit in their faces and say 'i dont feel safe, you're not white' smh
(edited 7 years ago)
No.
No, as long as they are qualified to treat patients then it doesn't matter for me. As long as it's not Dr Nick from the Simpsons.
No (calm down), as I said its an unconscious bias, thanks to news like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3626788.stm

Which make ethnic employees look like tokens (rather racist, isn't it?) and reduces my trust in them, unfortunately.

There's a difference between having a token receptionist in an awful media firm, and having a token qualified doctor, in that it doesn't matter if they're token - they're still fully qualified to treat you. It's actually not possible to have a token person in such a highly trained field - people there deserve it.
The colour makes absolutely no difference in my mind. However, I met a few foreign doctors in British hospitals and found I struggled to understand what they say - their English wasn't brilliant or they had a thick accent, and this might worry me slightly if this was the case! While Im sure theyvwere very clever and good at their job, for being a doctor, communication is really important! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Mojo Banjo
And if so why?

No, the exact opposite, pakistani and inidian doctors are more genuine.

I can never tell if white doctors really care about their patients.
I've had Muslim drs since I were small and they are so detached and rough like tyhey're about to perform surgery or something. They just come in like "oo oo-kee. Get on de taburl an' I vill opan you up an' see vuts inside joo." It's like er ok nice to meet you too Dr. Kamal...I'm 4 can you be nicer, cheers?

Meanwhile a Dr. Mitchell lets me call her Dr. Kate and gives me candy for being a good lad :cool: lool
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply