The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellaramsay_
Problem with me is I describe instead writing in all the good facts. As in I feel like I only really said a few points where I could have said so many more ugh

Same here I feel like half my writing was actually how Maria was feeling instead of the points

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annagrace16
If I got 78/80 in coursework (three written and speaking&listening) what do I need for an a*? I'm hoping my coursework will bring my grade up because I think I failed the exam

You need a 32 for an a* you're so lucky because I need like 36 (i flopped my s+l)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nlx
Can someone please upload the unofficial mark scheme please? :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4058147
Reply 1123
I got 26 in speaking and listening and I got band 1 in all my other coursework (I don't know the exact marks) how many marks will I need in the exam to get a B?
just wanna shoot myself in the head tbh. what was that -_-
Original post by hq7
I got 26 in speaking and listening and I got band 1 in all my other coursework (I don't know the exact marks) how many marks will I need in the exam to get a B?

I'd love to help but I can't really without your other coursework marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anaaa546
I called him Dave too! ;P

Brilliant! I spent ten minutes contemplating names... :P
Original post by byaakun
lol i really struggled to create an effect out of mirage - i had no clue what it meant, along with a few other words. maybe i need to work on my vocab

i remember mirage as when in deserts people can hallucinate water and stuff because ive seen it in films so i just made it relevent to the context - dont worry though, my vocabulary is extremely rusty too. i don't think i did enough for an A after all that work oops. how did you find it?
For 15 bullet points I put these:
1) 30% thing
2) global starvation
3) loss of healthy foods
4) no need to pay farmers to find alternative less efficient ways of pollinating
5) 500 medicines thing
6) a bees health tells us a lot about the environments health
7) pesticides distort their behaviour fatally
8) local weather systems threaten them
9) change in weather threaten them
10) transporting beehives to diff countries cause them to stress out
11) Increase in bees in the city will lead to less nectar available for wild bees
12) immune system becoming less efficient
13) fungal infections/known bee viruses
I had two more but forgot what I wrote!

Do you think this is correct?

Also for the summary I developed some points such as medicines has used honey since the egyptian times so medicines would not be as advanced as it is now if we didn't have honey. I also wrote that loss of healthy foods will lead to a regress in health in the world.

Will this mark me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Phoebe2108
i remember mirage as when in deserts people can hallucinate water and stuff because ive seen it in films so i just made it relevent to the context - dont worry though, my vocabulary is extremely rusty too. i don't think i did enough for an A after all that work oops. how did you find it?

This is what I wrote too :tongue: i still think it was utter ******** tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellamoon_22
Sameee like in the past when have u ever had to infere that much, I feel like now I need to revise more for english lit cause I usually get A*s and i cant fail that too

Yep ikr and ooh we did english lit in january and i got an A*!! Even though i spent half my exam time having a panic attack and well crying lmao oops but i guess luck was on my side!! 😄 You should revise lots and good luck on it!! I hope it goes well for you! What books/ plays are you studying? We did Romeo and Juliet and Of mice and men
Reply 1131
Original post by I'm_infires
I'd love to help but I can't really without your other coursework marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will find out :smile: and then can you find out?
and can you not give me like an estimate? (really stressed right now)
Original post by ducks_sd
How did u work out wht u needed for an A* can you help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To get an A*, you need 106/125 so add your average writing coursework mark and speaking&listening mark.

Then divide 106 by 125 and multiply it by 130 (the coursework, s&l and exam total 130) and subtract the total of coursework and s&l mark to get your exam mark needed for an A*. Is this explanation too confusing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vasuxx
OMG YES!! please tell me you did varient 2

I did about how they were 'like a rainbow' or something like that. How he 'sourced' them which shows time and care. How there was alliteration in 'tatty trinkets' . And the old town being linked to a beehive
I did mine in November 2015 (i'm in year 11 rn) and I got an A and i was soooo happy. Some of my friends did it today and they said that question 3 was really easy but question 1 was hard apparently ???!!! How did you think you did today???
Original post by hq7
I will find out :smile: and then can you find out?
and can you not give me like an estimate? (really stressed right now)

Yes I can tell you what you need to get in the exam if you know your coursework marks.

But lets say you got like 47/50 on average on the writing coursework and your s&l is 26, then you would need at least 27 in the exam to get an A overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1136
It has been a pleasure to host this thread. I hope everybody found it useful. BTW guys, did you notice the error in Q3 where they stated the importance of honeybees. They forgot to include humans. It may have an effect on some people although I think it really didn't have an effect on me but that Was unacceptable.
Original post by I'm_infires
To get an A*, you need 106/125 so add your average writing coursework mark and speaking&listening mark.

Then divide 106 by 125 and multiply it by 130 (the coursework, s&l and exam total 130) and subtract the total of coursework and s&l mark to get your exam mark needed for an A*. Is this explanation too confusing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's right because I need 48/50 for an A* but this method says I need 52/50 lol which isn't possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tamanna___
Yep ikr and ooh we did english lit in january and i got an A*!! Even though i spent half my exam time having a panic attack and well crying lmao oops but i guess luck was on my side!! 😄 You should revise lots and good luck on it!! I hope it goes well for you! What books/ plays are you studying? We did Romeo and Juliet and Of mice and men

Well done on ur A* im doing purple hibiscus and DNA
Created a separate thread for the next exam (6th) on Directed Writing and Composition, if y'all want to use it to chat about that (and help me out) - any tips/tricks/techniques you want to share/queries you have.

Hopefully we can find a remedy to the imminent destruction of our A*'s.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4058387

DONTSWEATIT

Quick Reply