The Student Room Group

How hard is psychology a-level?

I'm in year 11 and for my options next year, I want to do Health and Social care, philosophy and ethics and Psychology in sixth form.
People tell me psychology is very hard and i don't know if I will be able to do it. Can you please tell me what it's like? How science based and maths based it is? Is it really hard to study for?
For my grades now I get
C's in English (I'm on higher for English) and science (I'm on foundation science so C is the highest I can get) and in maths I get D's/E's and sometimes C's (I'm on foundation for maths) I have enough grades to get into sixth form with my other subjects btw:smile:

Scroll to see replies

you're choosing 3 of the softest subjects

don't do psychology do something else, psychology is NOT hard there's barely any maths or science only a few statistical tests there is just alot of content.
It was quite some time ago when I did mine. But I found it to be the most enjoyable and easiest of my other science A-levels. I don't feel I put a lot of effort in perhaps because it came to me so naturally. I was able to grasp theories and concepts quickly and remember them and apply them and write long essays about them. Plus I'm one of those people who has a good memory when it comes to remembering stories etc. So I think my advice is it's not heavily science based you don't need to be good at maths. I think you have to have good English as you will be writing essays and these need to flow. Definitely do it if you have an interest in the area I have learnt this helps more than anything! Hope that helps pm me if you want more advice or if I was a bit vague.
Original post by spookyjimfangirl
I'm in year 11 and for my options next year, I want to do Health and Social care, philosophy and ethics and Psychology in sixth form.
People tell me psychology is very hard and i don't know if I will be able to do it. Can you please tell me what it's like? How science based and maths based it is? Is it really hard to study for?
For my grades now I get
C's in English (I'm on higher for English) and science (I'm on foundation science so C is the highest I can get) and in maths I get D's/E's and sometimes C's (I'm on foundation for maths) I have enough grades to get into sixth form with my other subjects btw:smile:

hi, our 6th form recommends that you have a B in gcse lit or lang, gcse grade B in maths, and gcse grade B in at least one gcse science. I can't speak from first hand experience since i don't psychology but both my friends do and they have TONNES of notes and folders with psychology notes - and you don't learn about mind control etc. sorry to disappoint... apparently it gets mathsy in year 13, but a few people have had psychology maths `catchup` sessions. H&SC is great (i do that) but be prepared for A LOT of coursework to do - depends on exam board. Your subjects are all nicely linked :smile: have you thought about sociology at all? that links very well with your subjects too :smile: good luck.
There's a significant amount of content involved, however I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult. There's a lot of stuff to remember but it's enjoyable and very interesting. Having said that, no offence, but looking at your grades in the core subjects I'm not sure how you'd cope. What exam board is Psychology a level on at your school? The scientific content isn't immense, but there is an entire chapter dedicated to biopsychology which requires you to have knowledge of the nervous system,brain structure, endocrine system etc.. It's nothing compared to A level biology but can prove challenging to someone who struggles with science. The maths involved are quite basic,and regarding English, as long as you're able to write effective essays and communicate the points well you'll be fine.

What do you want to study at uni?
Original post by alkaline.

don't do psychology do something else, psychology is NOT hard there's barely any maths or science only a few statistical tests there is just alot of content.

But psychology is a science?

OP, I study psych and I have genuinely considered death as a better option.
I'm not saying don't do it, but it is hard. The amount of content you'll have to know is ridiculous - its not just about what's on the syllabus, you also have to learn how to write the essays in your exams since not all of them format the same way, and that can get too much.
inferential tests come into it in your 2nd year, you'll have to identify which one you need to use and then be able to use the maths behind it, but that should be about it from what my teachers have told me about the spec you might be doing (I'm basing this of WJEC/Educas' syllabus btw).
In your first year you'll cover 5 approaches, 2 of which are science based, 1 of which is kind of scientific, and two which aren't really considered by scientific communities. I'm not sure about your second year, but its usually really helpful to find out which exam board you'll be with then have a root around for papers and what not to see if it's right for you

Lool who told you this? Psychology is not soft...
Heavy content with lots of A01 and A03 to learn
Plus your A01 will be tested with A02 (application) questions

It is an interesting subject though!

they may be seen `soft by TSR's standards but health and social care allows you to gain some experience which other a levels may not offer. you can put that on your personal statement as well. But agreeing with psychology isn't really necessary but still would be fine to do - maybe as a fourth option (AS).
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Lool who told you this? Psychology is not soft...

looool "soft science. any of the specialized fields or disciplines, as psychology, sociology, anthropology, or political science, that interpret human behavior, institutions, society, etc., on the basis of scientificinvestigations for which it may be difficult to establish strictly measurable criteria."

also we discussed it in class *with my psychology teacher* and an agreement formed. I do all other science alevels and in technical terms yes it is soft.

Original post by AlteredBoy
But psychology is a science?

OP, I study psych and I have genuinely considered death as a better option.
I'm not saying don't do it, but it is hard. The amount of content you'll have to know is ridiculous - its not just about what's on the syllabus, you also have to learn how to write the essays in your exams since not all of them format the same way, and that can get too much.
inferential tests come into it in your 2nd year, you'll have to identify which one you need to use and then be able to use the maths behind it, but that should be about it from what my teachers have told me about the spec you might be doing (I'm basing this of WJEC/Educas' syllabus btw).
In your first year you'll cover 5 approaches, 2 of which are science based, 1 of which is kind of scientific, and two which aren't really considered by scientific communities. I'm not sure about your second year, but its usually really helpful to find out which exam board you'll be with then have a root around for papers and what not to see if it's right for you

I do psychology and it's just learning ALOT of stuff so personally I find it requires more effort than other subjects but it's the actual content is pi$$ easy.

Original post by bizzy_penguin
they may be seen `soft by TSR's standards but health and social care allows you to gain some experience which other a levels may not offer. you can put that on your personal statement as well. But agreeing with psychology isn't really necessary but still would be fine to do - maybe as a fourth option (AS).
it's seen as soft by science standards, let's not argue this.
Reply 10
For my grades now I get

Psychology is mostly essay baised and you need to remember studies including names etc... for more detail.

I have done it last year and ended up with a grade B (on the boundary). My English language GCSE grade was a C. So I believe if you try hard you will get the grades.

However I highly recommend you picking the subjects you like as A-level can be challenging.

no offence but do maths and science students know how to write a 20 mark essay in half an hour? or can they conjure up a 40 mark essay? mind if i ask which subjects you do?
looool "soft science. any of the specialized fields or disciplines, as psychology, sociology, anthropology, or political science, that interpret human behavior, institutions, society, etc., on the basis of scientificinvestigations for which it may be difficult to establish strictly measurable criteria."

also we discussed it in class *with my psychology teacher* and an agreement formed. I do all other science alevels and in technical terms yes it is soft.

I do psychology and it's just learning ALOT of stuff so personally I find it requires more effort than other subjects but it's the actual content is pi$$ easy.

it's seen as soft by science standards, let's not argue this.

You stated that Psychology was one of the softest subjects, you did not say that it was a 'soft science'. There is a difference
Original post by teenhorrorstory
There's a significant amount of content involved, however I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult. There's a lot of stuff to remember but it's enjoyable and very interesting. Having said that, no offence, but looking at your grades in the core subjects I'm not sure how you'd cope. What exam board is Psychology a level on at your school? The scientific content isn't immense, but there is an entire chapter dedicated to biopsychology which requires you to have knowledge of the nervous system,brain structure, endocrine system etc.. It's nothing compared to A level biology but can prove challenging to someone who struggles with science. The maths involved are quite basic,and regarding English, as long as you're able to write effective essays and communicate the points well you'll be fine.

What do you want to study at uni?

The exam board is Aqa and I don't know if I'd cope either, if I try hard enough (which I will) I could do it but it will involve a lot of effort which is why I'm wondering if it's worth it. With uni I want to do child teaching (I'm not sure of the name exactly but it's to be a primary school teacher!) but I've been wanting to do psychology since year 8 when I found out about it
no offence but do maths and science students know how to write a 20 mark essay in half an hour? or can they conjure up a 40 mark essay? mind if i ask which subjects you do?

well I don't want to take psych to A2 because I cba for the essays, yes I would be able to write those timed essays because I write fast as **** but currently it's max 12 markers. I did some essay based GCSE's but they were alot simplier. (20 marks in english gcse lol? I got a* and I never even stuck to time constraints lol just rambled on in an organised fashion)

+ people that can't, essay writing skills can easily be learnt.

conjure up a 40 mark essay? well I know many science students that do EPQ, biologists particularly write articles etc.

I commend people who take essay based for actually having the willpower to sit there and almost enjoy writing such long ass answers, I don't have the patience.
(edited 7 years ago)
hi, our 6th form recommends that you have a B in gcse lit or lang, gcse grade B in maths, and gcse grade B in at least one gcse science. I can't speak from first hand experience since i don't psychology but both my friends do and they have TONNES of notes and folders with psychology notes - and you don't learn about mind control etc. sorry to disappoint... apparently it gets mathsy in year 13, but a few people have had psychology maths `catchup` sessions. H&SC is great (i do that) but be prepared for A LOT of coursework to do - depends on exam board. Your subjects are all nicely linked :smile: have you thought about sociology at all? that links very well with your subjects too :smile: good luck.

Thank you! I would like to do sociology but health and social care is a double and you can only do 4, it sounds interesting my brother did it as A/S
The exam board is Aqa and I don't know if I'd cope either, if I try hard enough (which I will) I could do it but it will involve a lot of effort which is why I'm wondering if it's worth it. With uni I want to do child teaching (I'm not sure of the name exactly but it's to be a primary school teacher!) but I've been wanting to do psychology since year 8 when I found out about it

I'm on AQA too. If you really want to do it, then go for it! Just make sure you work hard. Whichever subject you do,you'll have to put effort in,so don't let that put you off.
well I don't want to take psych to A2 because I cba for the essays, yes I would be able to write those timed essays because I write fast as **** but currently it's max 12 markers. I did some essay based GCSE's but they were a lot simpler. (20 marks in english gcse lol? I got a* and I never even stuck to time constraints lol just rambled on in an organised fashion)

+ people that can't, essay writing skills can easily be learnt.

conjure up a 40 mark essay? well I know many science students that do EPQ, biologists particularly write articles etc.

I commend people who take essay based for actually having the willpower to sit there and almost enjoy writing such long ass answers, I don't have the patience.

groan those essays - same for us sociology kids... no there are 20 mark essays for sociology i stated i don't do psychology previously, but i guess its very similar- perhaps you should have done sociology...lol the essays are SO easy to answer in this subject - when looking @ past papers I don't know what the people who wrote some of the papers were thinking... I tend to enjoy essays. I couldn't answer a science paper to save my life. lol.
Thank you! I would like to do sociology but health and social care is a double and you can only do 4, it sounds interesting my brother did it as A/S

it is really interesting - ours was a single one though.. :smile: have fun with it :smile: last minute advice 4 h&sc? back up your health and sc coursework. please. I lost 1/8 of it. you don't wanna lose 40,000 words of work.

Depends on what topics your centre does but A-level psych might not be that useful for teaching - if you've got any mates that do english language it will be worthwhile looking over their language acquisition notes though

Quick Reply

Latest