The Student Room Group

Why is it that in the exam I go blank but ..

but when I get to solve the same questions at home, I seem to do well.:confused:

And no, it has nothing to do with exam nerves, cos I don't get nervous when I sit an exam.:tongue: It's just that I go blank and don't seem to understand the question.:curious:

---

So basically I'll be resitting some of my AS levels, I sat my AS biology last year on May/June.

I tried solving the same paper that I sat last year, & the questions seem to be more clearer than it did when I sat the exam.:hmmmm2:
Reply 1
Well, you've completed another year of learning, so that should help.

Do you do past papers under exam conditions? Or do you take your time, look up the answer after every question, etc.?
Reply 2
Original post by llys
Well, you've completed another year of learning, so that should help.

Do you do past papers under exam conditions? Or do you take your time, look up the answer after every question, etc.?

I have never tried doing past papers under exam conditions, I always take my time and have the mark scheme by my side.:redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Adorable98
I have never tried doing past papers under exam conditions, I always take my time and have the mark scheme by my side.:redface:

I do think that's good for learning, but it could explain why you do better at home than in the exam.

Maybe try doing a paper under strict exam conditions (with a timer etc.) and only go through it more slowly afterwards to get a more realistic idea of how you will do in the exam?
Reply 4
but when I get to solve the same questions at home, I seem to do well.:confused:

And no, it has nothing to do with exam nerves, cos I don't get nervous when I sit an exam.:tongue: It's just that I go blank and don't seem to understand the question.:curious:

---

So basically I'll be resitting some of my AS levels, I sat my AS biology last year on May/June.

I tried solving the same paper that I sat last year, & the questions seem to be more clearer than it did when I sat the exam.:hmmmm2:

omg...this is me omg I have this problem and looking at the papers I did before makes me cry like I could have easily answered that! I had the knowledge and revision time but the questions always have me confused and I forget how to construct an argument?????

---

This happens to me too and even some of the most basic things which i know sometimes make me question if i'm doing it right.

Personally i think it's you bigging things up and making them seem much worse than they actually are. You make it seem like everything will be so much worse in the real thing so you get "scared" and forget stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by sadly
omg...this is me omg I have this problem and looking at the papers I did before makes me cry like I could have easily answered that! I had the knowledge and revision time but the questions always have me confused and I forget how to construct an argument?????

Original post by thefatone
This happens to me too and even some of the most basic things which i know sometimes make me question if i'm doing it right.

Personally i think it's you bigging things up and making them seem much worse than they actually are. You make it seem like everything will be so much worse in the real thing so you get "scared" and forget stuff.

Soo true!!:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by llys
I do think that's good for learning, but it could explain why you do better at home than in the exam.

Maybe try doing a paper under strict exam conditions (with a timer etc.) and only go through it more slowly afterwards to get a more realistic idea of how you will do in the exam?

I'd deffo give that a go, thanks!!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending