The Student Room Group

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
No (calm down), as I said its an unconscious bias, thanks to news like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3626788.stm

Which make ethnic employees look like tokens (rather racist, isn't it?) and reduces my trust in them, unfortunately.

The ethnic employer think is more like political correctness and positive discrimination, its hardly bias.

The beauty of irrationality is that you can change it, considering that many of those who become doctors arent white i would suggest you can change your view that 'white doctors are more qualified and safer'. If it takes as little as a silly news article and your own judgement cant see past it then im afraid i cannot help you.
Lol we are lucky to even have free healthcare , and u bring up skin colour.
No, skin colour really is irrelevant.

The only doctor I've ever had a problem with was one that struggled with English. I think he was Dutch or German and we couldn't understand each other.
Original post by iEthan
:rolleyes:

That's the default reaction I have to everything that comes out of this guy's mouth
Original post by Mojo Banjo
And if so why?

The more qualified they are the more i trust them, why does race matter?
Original post by blackdiamond97
as long as they have the right qualifications I couldn't give a ****

same
Original post by L1U1x1o
No, the exact opposite, pakistani and inidian doctors are more genuine.

I can never tell if white doctors really care about their patients.

I totally disagree. I've had non-Jewish white drs and dentists etc who have been so kind if not too kind but still kind, especially the younger women. The younger men are professionally chatty, and the older ones are stern but cool

Never ever had a warm Muslim dr even their hands have been cold, I rem one especially.

However I don't go to hospital for spa service lol but still I had one Indian dr dunno if he's Muslim or not but he had to give me injections and while my mam praises him for his efficiency he just practically doused me with skin alcohol, stabbed me in the arm, slapped a plaster on me, and pushed me out the bloody room, no hi no bye roflll
Original post by 0to100
I totally disagree. I've had non-Jewish white drs and dentists etc who have been so kind if not too kind but still kind, especially the younger women. The younger men are professionally chatty, and the older ones are stern but cool

Never ever had a warm Muslim dr even their hands have been cold, I rem one especially.

However I don't go to hospital for spa service lol but still I had one Indian dr dunno if he's Muslim or not but he had to give me injections and while my mam praises him for his efficiency he just practically doused me with skin alcohol, stabbed me in the arm, slapped a plaster on me, and pushed me out the bloody room, no hi no bye roflll

anecdotal fallacy mate, im sure there are many who disagree
Original post by Zargabaath
That's the default reaction I have to everything that comes out of this guy's mouth

:giggle:
And if so why?

Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place

Original post by Boss_Rhythm
As long as they do this, as soon as I get into their clinic:

****ing racist thread. ****ing racist posts. Wtf??

Original post by Serine Soul
Trying to attract right wingers of TSR I see

He's always hanging out in News and Current Affairs. Always trolling, sometimes he posts right wing stuff, sometimes left wing stuff, just to stir up a ****storm. Thankfully, we've enclosed all the fascists in the NaCA forum, and they only rarely come out into the wider TSR
Yes, but if you narrow the pool from which you employ people, you will probably get less good people overall. Do you want exceptional employees or merely good employees? Any discrimination is bad for a meritocracy.

You don't seem to understand that one of the problems facing the NHS right now is a shortage of capable doctors to deal with patients. Any employee that is qualified to do the job is a good employee; 'exceptional' or otherwise. There is no discrimination taking place in terms of trained medical staff.
Original post by 0to100

And you. Another fascist troll
Original post by Youngmetro
anecdotal fallacy mate, im sure there are many who disagree

Of course there are ppl who will disagree and I'm sure there are people who will agree.
Not that I'm posting worrying about either though.
It's not a "fallacy" either since I've experienced it while fallacy means an untrue belief...
And anecdotal means I've experienced so you just contradicted yaself
Stop using words too big for you.
Original post by Multiculturalism
****ing racist thread. ****ing racist posts. Wtf??

He's always hanging out in News and Current Affairs. Always trolling, sometimes he posts right wing stuff, sometimes left wing stuff, just to stir up a ****storm. Thankfully, we've enclosed all the fascists in the NaCA forum, and they only rarely come out into the wider TSR

I sincerely apologise sir, for my senseless comment.
I have never seen you swear, so please calm down, I am sorry to have pissed you off..... :frown:
Reply 33
A doctor is a doctor. it is not the skin colour that should determine their capabilities as a doctor.
Rather it is their performance in how they carry out their role as a doctor itself.

why would one feel safer with a white doctor than others?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Multiculturalism
And you. Another fascist troll

Explain the fascism please

Original post by Boss_Rhythm
I sincerely apologise sir, for my senseless comment.
I have never seen you swear, so please calm down, I am sorry to have pissed you off..... :frown:

I thought it was funny n I'm white. Check his name, he's having a go at anyone who isn't far left.
Racism in healthcare is definitely still a thing. I'm white and British with a slightly unusual surname. A patient once heard my surname after a college said 'Nurse X will be treating you' and the patient loudly declared that they did not want a Pakistani nurse anywhere near them. :K:
Original post by h333
A doctor is a doctor. it is not the skin colour that should determine their ability of being a good or bad doctor.
Rather it is their performance in how they carry out their role as a doctor itself.

why would one feel safer with a white doctor than others?

and @Multiculturalism It's just op winding people up obviously lol but of course skin colour can't determine ability but for me I find white female drs to be the most comforting
And if so why?

No, I'm not racist. I wouldn't give a crap what race/ethnicity a doctor was, the only thing I would keep in mind is qualifications.
Original post by Charlotte49
Racism in healthcare is definitely still a thing. I'm white and British with a slightly unusual surname. A patient once heard my surname after a college said 'Nurse X will be treating you' and the patient loudly declared that they did not want a Pakistani nurse anywhere near them. :K:

That kind of racism is completely ok and before you get bothered let me explain lol
as long as it's not preventing someone from living their life and if it's not harming them I don't see the harm in personal opinion like
Honestly, with all the 'equality' nonsense, I'd be more comfortable with those who I am sure have earned their place

While a drive for ethnic diversity does exist in some career options like the police force, I am unaware of such positive discrimination taking place in medicine due to the large numbers of bright young Indians choosing to qualify as doctors. However, there is a huge amount of research showing that those with White European names are far more likely to be called for interview following job applications in a variety of fields, even when qualifications and other relevant factors are equal. This suggests that if anything, it is Whites who are likely to have not earned their place and sneaked in with a mediocre track record, not us Indians. :tongue:

EDIT: I am not complaining, by the way. While it is certainly not ideal, I realise that this discrimination is to be expected when I choose to live in a country where I am an ethnic minority. I am just pointing out that your lack of trust is misplaced.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest