The Student Room Group

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
How else would I have got to 8 gems? :biggrin:

Now if there was neg rep
Original post by 0to100
Of course there are ppl who will disagree and I'm sure there are people who will agree.
Not that I'm posting worrying about either though.
It's not a "fallacy" either since I've experienced it while fallacy means an untrue belief...
And anecdotal means I've experienced so you just contradicted yaself
Stop using words too big for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_vividness

Seriously, you're too stupid to realise you're stupid.
Reply 42
Original post by Mojo Banjo
And if so why?

I don't care what their skin colour is but I do feel slightly more nervous when the doctor is foreign and English is not their first language , only because it could result in miscommunication or misunderstanding that could potentially cause mistakes to occur.
Humans naturally feel more secure around those similar to us. It's an evolutionary response. It's probably minimised in the modern age seeing how exposed we are to those who are different to us, but still present. Even if consciously we may know that all doctors are similarly qualified, it's no surprise if white people feel more comfortable around white doctors (and black people around black doctors, etc.).
Original post by 0to100
That kind of racism is completely ok and before you get bothered let me explain lol
as long as it's not preventing someone from living their life and if it's not harming them I don't see the harm in personal opinion like

No kind of racism is ok.

If a patient refuses treatment because the doctor/nurse is rude or incompetent or whatever then fair enough, but refusing treatment on the basis of race (or assumed race in this case) is not right.
Reply 45
Original post by 0to100
and @Multiculturalism It's just op winding people up obviously lol but of course skin colour can't determine ability but for me I find white female drs to be the most comforting

Ok then I assume your comfort (if it is not to do with the fear that other skin colours or races are not as good doctors) then can be reasonable.
Reply 46
Original post by Zargabaath
That's the default reaction I have to everything that comes out of this guy's mouth

Who cares lol

Learn to make some good, popular threads first
Reply 47
Original post by free_the_mind
What country are you messaging from firstly? Seriously.
The only people that I've seen who have had issues with the colour of a doctors skin have been the racist/ignorant type/mentally challenged.

Hit the nail on the head right there :yy:
Who cares lol

Obviously the person who repped me does.

Why are you wasting time on here, shouldn't you be begging it off people on kik anyway?
Original post by Charlotte49
No kind of racism is ok.

If a patient refuses treatment because the doctor/nurse is rude or incompetent or whatever then fair enough, but refusing treatment on the basis of race (or assumed race in this case) is not right.

Morally wrong maybe, but people should still have the right to do so. When it comes to your own health it's important that you be entirely comfortable with your treatment, even if that discomfort is born of prejudice.
Original post by Youngmetro
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_vividness

Seriously, you're too stupid to realise you're stupid.

Again you used the term completely wrong since I experienced it and now you're accusing me of stating my experience as intending to get other ppl to agree with me?
I simply stated it because I wanted to even if in hindsight it was uncouth. I'm not "leading" or "misleading" anyone with anything I say, so why are you worried people will agree that certain drs make them uncomfortable? It's their opinion they have a right to.
Who cares lol

Your threads are not good. Lol. :toofunny:
Original post by Charlotte49
No kind of racism is ok.

I never said it is right but I'm saying they have the right not to want a certain dr, it's their personal situation their health, they should feel comfortable with whoever they want. They're not barring people from working there by having an opinion.
Original post by h333
Ok then I assume your comfort (if it is not to do with the fear that other skin colours or races are not as good doctors) then can be reasonable.

No I dont think that simply having a certain skin colour makes you unqualified lool just that it makes me uncomfortable because I feel culturally I will be handled differently depending on the person.
Reply 55
Original post by ohgodwhatamidoin
Humans naturally feel more secure around those similar to us. It's an evolutionary response. It's probably minimised in the modern age seeing how exposed we are to those who are different to us, but still present. Even if consciously we may know that all doctors are similarly qualified, it's no surprise if white people feel more comfortable around white doctors (and black people around black doctors, etc.).

I do not think that is always the case. I feel that chinese and indian doctors do very well at their job most of the time than other doctors (of course others do but with my family this is the case). although I am not chinese or indian. Despite that, I feel comfortable with a doctor of any race.
I don't care what race they are. As long I can understand what they're saying (no thick accent) and do they're job to the best of their ability.
It don't matter if they're an alien as long as they can patch me up well, they're a 10/10 in my book
Not really. I feel more safer in the presence of female doctors especially during moments when I have to talk about female things and [physical contact.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by 0to100
No I dont think that simply having a certain skin colour makes you unqualified lool just that it makes me uncomfortable because I feel culturally I will be handled differently depending on the person.

Ok that is your opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest