The Student Room Group

Would you feel safer being treated by a white doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
Right and my point is that unless you speak out as a professional and insist they accept treatment from "our trusted, qualified staff" and then lay out what you just said to me, it can't go any other way than well. Otherwise you're just complaining that people have an opinion that sometimes will hurt your feelings if they can't tell the difference between your background and your name.

Just because someone makes an informed decision and we have made them aware of the potential harm that will come to them does not mean everything is 'well'. As professionals, it is not our place to 'insist' anything to patients, all we can do is inform them of facts.

It is incredibly difficult for staff/relatives/carers to see patients making decisions that aren't in their best interests and can cause a lot of emotional distress to them. Of course we respect patients' decisions, but we want to provide the best care possible and being unable to do that for any reason is very difficult to deal with because naturally, we want to do everything we can to help patients. So yes, it can 'go any way other than well', especially if a patient is harmed as a result of a decision they have made due to racial prejudices.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Account created in april 2016. I'll say no more

Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
I would feel safer being treated by someone who spoke fluent English, I know it has no baring on how good they are at their job but as a patient I should be able to trust and communicate easily.

We both joined in April as well as probably 100 other ppl. Looks like we're trolls.
Original post by Youngmetro
It would have been until you started arguing hence why it is a fallacy. You generalised with your own experiences.

It's not a fallacy because it's not a belief. And I'm not mistaken in a Muslim dr in a hijab I had being cold. It is however anecdotal but as I told you don't use words too big for you. You might know the meaning (after you looked on wiki) but you certainly don't know how to apply it.
Harold Shipman tho :tongue:

I would prefer an English doctor purely because its easier to actually hear and understand what they are saying. But skin colour? lol
Original post by Charlotte49
Just because someone makes an informed decision and we have made them aware of the potential harm that will come to them does not mean everything is 'well'. As professionals, it is not our place to 'insist' anything to patients, all we can do is inform them of facts.

It is incredibly difficult for staff/relatives/carers to see patients making decisions that aren't in their best interests and can cause a lot of emotional distress to them. Of course we respect patients' decisions, but we want to provide the best care possible and being unable to do that for any reason is very difficult to deal with because naturally, we want to do everything we can to help patients. So yes, it can 'go any way other than well', especially if a patient is harmed as a result of a decision they have made due to racial prejudices.

If you see someone who you explained to be in the ER demanding a non pakistani then if their situation is severe and they refuse certain treatment I'd assume you would "insist" that they take who they can??
I say this to your last sentence as well.
Original post by 0to100
We both joined in April as well as probably 100 other ppl. Looks like we're trolls.

I joined in march, around 7 posts per day

You joined in late april, around 70 posts per day

Anyway, as for your previous point, I'm not far left

I'm interested to see what you get
couldn't care less as long as they seem competent
Reply 87
we
Original post by 0to100
Why should I be careful? lol since I didn't generalise either. I just playfully stated my opinion about my personal situation, which is the opposite of generalising. I nevr said all Muslims are this way and all whites are this way, I said in my experience I feel they are this way or that, and I can do that if I want. I would never be like bleeding out my head and refusing a pakistani come on. But if I on the inside feel more comfortable if a white woman attends to me oh well? Maybe she reminds me of my mam or something lol

I edited it too late but the reason why i said your opinion was because: "you used the words "I feel culturally" correct me if I am wrong, but that sounded like an opinion to me."

Muslim is not a race or skin colour firstly, where did that come from? and It is reasonable maybe by your experience I guess.

LOL for the last part and is quite sweet.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol we are lucky to even have free healthcare , and u bring up skin colour.

I dont want to be nitpicky but its NOT FREE. WE PAY FOR IT
I like ones fluent in English. Sadly not always the case with the NHS.
Original post by h333
we

I edited it too late but the reason why i said your opinion was because: "you used the words "I feel culturally" correct me if I am wrong, but that sounded like an opinion to me."

Muslim is not a race or skin colour firstly, where did that come from? and It is reasonable maybe by your experience I guess.

LOL for the last part and is quite sweet.

Exactly a few ppl are accusing me of being racist but I said Muslim lool
No. Lol do people actually think 'oh hope he/she is white' once they enter a clinic? I really do not care. I only care when I hear the words 'ooops' or 'that wasn't meant to happen' when I'm being treated or attended to...apart from these words/phrases- a doctor is a doctor regardless of race.
Original post by Multiculturalism

I'm interested to see what you get

How can I take that?
Original post by 0to100
How can I take that?

politicalcompass.org/test
Original post by 0to100
I think I know why. Probably because a lot of white can relate to that whereas more traditional communities will laugh it off.

You errantly called me a deceitful nationalistic xenophobe yesterday and here you are telling us how its ok for patients to pick and choose their doctors on race and making assumptions about ethnic groups

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
If you see someone who you explained to be in the ER demanding a non pakistani then if their situation is severe and they refuse certain treatment I'd assume you would "insist" that they take who they can??
I say this to your last sentence as well.

No, if the patient has capacity to consent and has made an informed choice then that must be respected, as I reiterate, staff have no right to insist that a patient takes any course of treatment. Doctors take an oath to do no harm, and nurses follow a similar code of conduct, but patients have a right to refuse treatment (with exceptions in certain circumstances). I don't have time to explain all of the consent and capacity legislation as I'm logging off shortly, and frankly don't see the point, if you're interested you can look it up very easily online.
Original post by 0to100
It's not a fallacy because it's not a belief. And I'm not mistaken in a Muslim dr in a hijab I had being cold. It is however anecdotal but as I told you don't use words too big for you. You might know the meaning (after you looked on wiki) but you certainly don't know how to apply it.

You've totally ignored what i said, You're generalising. You're arguing.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You errantly called me a deceitful nationalistic xenophobe yesterday and here you are telling us how its ok for patients to pick and choose their doctors on race and making assumptions about ethnic groups

It's literally not the same thing but I'm glad you remember me. I never said deceitful though, did I? Idk show me where I did.
And yes I said you were using your worries for the migrants safety as an excuse to not want migrants to come in.
You never truly clarified whether or not that is the case and I left it alone.
I dont see how it's relevant to this though lol

the other girl never said she picks and choose anyone
she said she simply feels more comfortable talking to a white. And as I'm white it's not the same as you saying no to migrants is it.
Original post by Youngmetro
You've totally ignored what i said, You're generalising. You're arguing.

You keep accusing me slagging me off, you're not providing anything constructive yourself
Original post by 0to100
You keep accusing me slagging me off, you're not providing anything constructive yourself

ironic.

Quick Reply