The Student Room Group

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, cuz everyone working in the UK is going to save kids from cancer..

What they do is provide a service, they help allocate capital to the organisations (gov, corporations, non-profits etc) that need it. They also act as intermediaries, advising on how best to buy or sell other entities. Traders/salespeople provide liquidity to the market - for example your pension, which is invested into the public markets by pension funds, would be at risk from said funds being unable to come in or exit transactions as easily in the public markets. Leaving significant risk exposure to price movements, a.k.a you losing a chunk of your pension.

A lot of this stuff is pretty damn large scale, and without it, the glue that smoothens out how capital is allocated would disappear leaving chaos behind. People don't understand this yet pass it off as 'evil' because that's the easier route to take.

No one would survive in the city if they're only motivation was 'money'. The money is the side effect of the career, not the reason for sticking through it for so long.

This is partly why I think IBs are completely useless. Probably cheaper to have an integrated analyst department in your business/gov.

It would make sense for a small business to outsource this department to an IB, but not large corporations that do business with IBs.

Maybe I'm missing something, or it's in the interests of many to keep this layer of inefficiency alive.
Degree: Pharmacy
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Dentist (hopefully to do a postgrade after pharmacy)
Graduate Salary Expected: 23k (as a pharmacist)
Maths.

Algo Trading

£1.5 mil
Original post by KatieBlogger
All I read was "concepts totally removed from workers humanity", "I think the things these workers are doing are massively important even though it's just stuff we've made up which wouldn't mean a thing if we were hit with a nuclear bomb tomorrow. Who would you want whilst the world was burning? A really ''important'' banker or a medically trained individual?

Banking is devoid of humanity, nature, compassion etc and it would have zero meaning if we stripped it of it's meaning whereas other professions have inherent meaning...but yeah, banking is really important to make the earth spin on it's axis. I'd say the same thing about working in Tesco. It's all the same to me.

Take it all away - what matters? What would need to be done and be worth doing regardless of monetary systems? Helping people, helping animals, helping the environment...or banking? Being a nurse or carer, protecting endangered animals, replanting forests etc is important - not playing around with numbers which mean nothing without the meaning we've placed on them.

I haven't said banking is evil I've just said people do it for the money - I'm not wrong. People don't think ''I want to be a banker in London'' in order to make a difference to the world - they do it for money.

Have you heard of effective altruism? The financial services industry and bankers by extension pay insane levels of tax into this country and the bankers I happen to know all contribute a portion of their earnings to charitiable organisations and causes, every year.

It's all nice and good to have this 'let's help everyone directly, we're all in this together, let us live among nature and be one with 'humanity' view on life but in practical terms we've evolved from that.. Inherent meaning doesn't count for much in a capitalistic economy - but value on the other hand, propped by what the markets (a.k.a humans) are willing to pay for services or goods, is how we appropriate things nowadays.

You sound like you just don't care for modern day society. Would you be able to type on the device you're using if some entrepreneur didn't see a gap in the market to exploit? Would you even be able to use TSR if not for the formation of the underlying company that makes all of this happen? I've just never understood how people can dismiss the reality we live in to embrace the history we have left behind.

Regardless all of these value judgements are subjective. To you, it might be important if everyone in the world was a nurse, doctor or what have you but to me that seems like a colossal waste of resources with no practicality behind it whatsoever.
Original post by DrownedDeity
This is partly why I think IBs are completely useless. Probably cheaper to have an integrated analyst department in your business/gov.

It would make sense for a small business to outsource this department to an IB, but not large corporations that do business with IBs.

Maybe I'm missing something, or it's in the interests of many to keep this layer of inefficiency alive.

You forget that capital raising and advisory services are inherently meant to be impartial. There could massive conflicts of interest if it was done completely in-house.
Original post by Jbaby98
Degree: : Chemical engineering
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Lots. Offshore engineering or oil finance type stuff if oil prices come out of the shitter. Otherwise, finance/banking/ professional dota 2/football player/teacher/truck driver/stripper/ Game of Thrones actor(only if they offer me the role of headless zombie ned stark)/modern artist/househusband/dictator
Graduate Salary Expected:
Banking - 50k+
Offshore engineering - 45k+
Other finance/engineering jobs - 25-35k
Dota 2 player/footballer/modern artist - 1mil+
teacher - 22k
truck driver - no clue for a truck driver but it cant be bad cus this guy I know who drives trucks buys Ben and Jerry's so he must be rich
stripper - everyone knows strippers make bank
GoT actor - wont have any lines as a zombie so probably very little
househusband - might buy and sell stuff on ebay so like 1k max
dictator- depends on size of my future country

Someone has a lot of interests..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
Someone has a lot of interests..

Posted from TSR Mobile

So many options m8, cant choose just one..
Because then you'd realise most bankers are pretty normal people, not 'robots' as you so aptly put it.

Are you one of those news hipsters who's convinced all mainstream media is conspiracy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've worked in IB and "money obsessed robots" covers nearly all of them pretty well.

As for the bits about interesting work with intelligent co-workers: forget it. The work is incredibly dull and the co-workers nowhere near as smart as they think they are.
Original post by CharlieGEM
I've worked in IB and "money obsessed robots" covers nearly all of them pretty well.

As for the bits about interesting work with intelligent co-workers: forget it. The work is incredibly dull and the co-workers nowhere near as smart as they think they are.

Not the first time I've heard this sentiment, but imo, most bankers I know are normal human beings..
Not the first time I've heard this sentiment, but imo, most bankers I know are normal human beings..

According to someone who has been networking since the age of 15...
'Everybody else?'. Not all of us are doing jobs purely for the salary - some of us chose vocations that make a difference to peoples lives.

yawn

Earning to give, especially in high paying careers like banking, results more readily in a bigger social impact than a doctor can achieve. By donating a small proportion of their earnings, they can save more lives too. 'Bankers are evil' is trite. Search effective altruism.

Here's a nobel laureate arguing that a career in finance makes more of a difference than one as a google engineer:
[video="youtube;O6ecPxD_tV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ecPxD_tV0[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
According to someone who has been networking since the age of 15...

Congrats, you've made an attempt at sarcasm.. Do you want a prize dude?
Original post by Jbaby98
Degree: : Chemical engineering
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Lots. Offshore engineering or oil finance type stuff if oil prices come out of the shitter. Otherwise, finance/banking/ professional dota 2/football player/teacher/truck driver/stripper/ Game of Thrones actor(only if they offer me the role of headless zombie ned stark)/modern artist/househusband/dictator
Graduate Salary Expected:
Banking - 50k+
Offshore engineering - 45k+
Other finance/engineering jobs - 25-35k
Dota 2 player/footballer/modern artist - 1mil+
teacher - 22k
truck driver - no clue for a truck driver but it cant be bad cus this guy I know who drives trucks buys Ben and Jerry's so he must be rich
stripper - everyone knows strippers make bank
GoT actor - wont have any lines as a zombie so probably very little
househusband - might buy and sell stuff on ebay so like 1k max
dictator- depends on size of my future country

What's your MMR bro? Let's try and make it to TI7
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BizzStrut
yawn

Earning to give, especially in high paying careers like banking, results more readily in a bigger social impact than a doctor can achieve. By donating a small proportion of their earnings, they can save more lives too. 'Bankers are evil' is trite. Search effective altruism.

Here's a nobel laureate arguing that a career in finance makes more of a difference than one as a google engineer:
[video="youtube;O6ecPxD_tV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ecPxD_tV0[/video]

You don't get it do you? You can't buy morals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 214
Original post by Metrododo
What's your MMR bro?

2k/3.5k depending on account but I would be 9k if my team didnt hold me back.
You don't get it do you? You can't buy morals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you watch the debate, you'll find the very first statement he makes is "I'm assuming nobody here just wants to make a lot of money, because then you'd go to Goldman. This is a debate for idealistic students."

Please go elsewhere with your shaming rhetoric. I care. I just know that I am very well suited to corporate work environments and I know I can make a hell of a difference if I succeed there. More than anywhere else.

It might make you feel warm and fuzzy pulling a splinter out of a kid's finger or building a house in Africa for a single family but every large scale project worth doing needs finance and I can support those things that actually matter, instead of piling into field that is already overly saturated with applicants (like medicine) and people who are in it because they want society to think they're kind, considerate and decent people.

I'll have to carry the judgement of people like you for my whole career and it's silly because it's unjust.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jbaby98
2k/3.5k depending on account but I would be 9k if my team didnt hold me back.

Good response - made the mistake of playing ranked asap when I started 3 years ago so just made a new account, much quicker climb than 2k MMR hell
yawn

All those things in banking that are so moral like gaming the regulators (who don't appear to even make a genuine effort to ensure the rules are followed), or applying political pressure to get a 100 billion Euro bailout of toxic assets (the bank I worked for was essentially bankrupt without this according to a speech given by one of the senior executives). The more time you spend in this industry the more you realise the financial system is basically rigged in favour of the top 0.01% of the population.

I started off with the attitude that it was providing capital to efficiently and effectively oil the wheels of trade but my views changed over time actually working in the industry. It does provide capital but only so long as a certain tiny minority get to take their large slice of the pie first. And I think the industry itself has changed over the last 10-20 years.
All those things in banking that are so moral like gaming the regulators (who don't appear to even make a genuine effort to ensure the rules are followed), or applying political pressure to get a 100 billion Euro bailout of toxic assets (the bank I worked for was essentially bankrupt without this according to a speech given by one of the senior executives). The more time you spend in this industry the more you realise the financial system is basically rigged in favour of the top 0.01% of the population.

I started off with the attitude that it was providing capital to efficiently and effectively oil the wheels of trade but my views changed over time actually working in the industry. It does provide capital but only so long as a certain tiny minority get to take their large slice of the pie first. And I think the industry itself has changed over the last 10-20 years.

Here's the thing. Your argument is essentially: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

But we know that no matter what I do the banking field is not going away. We know that there are 20 applicants willing to kill for a position who don't give a ****. So my presence there or not doesn't make a difference. It's going to happen.

I can take a stand on principle. But what for? It's meaningless. What I can also do, though, is use that cash that would be in an *******'s pocket and use it well.. to donate. To give to the right places. If I'm better suited to making money than by doing good directly then why shouldn't I? I'm not *adding* to the problem. It's one that would exist either way... so me being there and donating leads to a net positive effect. Surely you see the logic is there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Here's the thing. Your argument is essentially: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

But we know that no matter what I do the banking field is not going away. We know that there are 20 applicants willing to kill for a position who don't give a ****. So my presence there or not doesn't make a difference. It's going to happen.

I can take a stand on principle. But what for? It's meaningless. What I can also do, though, is use that cash that would be in an *******'s pocket and use it well.. to donate. To give to the right places. If I'm better suited to making money than by doing good directly then why shouldn't I? I'm not *adding* to the problem. It's one that would exist either way... so me being there and donating leads to a net positive effect. Surely you see the logic is there.

I do completely understand the logic, equally someone could use the same argument to justify a life as a drug dealer though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending