The Student Room Group

Cream paper not allowed in exams?

Hey!
I have a dyslexic friend who mentioned that he isn't allowed to use cream paper in his exam to help making it easier for him to read. He claimed that it was against the exam board regulations and not the school.
Is this normal for exam boards to do, or is it just my school cutting on costs?
If it was what exam boards do then isn't it discrimination?

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure that's what my friend did and the teachers told him that he wasn't allowed to do it
my friend had this so they gave her extra time but im not sure if that helps?
I think they should allow it.
Original post by hellowhatismynam
I'm pretty sure that's what my friend did and the teachers told him that he wasn't allowed to do it

They should allow it, sounds like the school is being ridiculous, if they havent already get a meeting with the headteacher and contact the jcq as it should be allowed.
Original post by claireestelle
They should allow it, sounds like the school is being ridiculous, if they havent already get a meeting with the headteacher and contact the jcq as it should be allowed.

So you're certain that the exam board allows cream paper and it's my school at fault here?
So you're certain that the exam board allows cream paper and it's my school at fault here?

They should do, its a pretty reasonable adjustment to ask for. I know that papers with larger font sizes are readily available so alternative colours should be possible, i think the school sounds at fault here.

Page 77 of the document on this page, says that schools can photocopy and enlarge onto coloured paper with the permission of the exam boards so unless they dont meet the criteria for that adjustment (which i doubt it) then yes it's definitely allowed.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/access-arrangements-and-reasonable-adjustments-2015-2016
They should do, its a pretty reasonable adjustment to ask for. I know that papers with larger font sizes are readily available so alternative colours should be possible, i think the school sounds at fault here.

Thanks a lot, that's very helpful. My school are also not allowing me to go into a separate room for my exam, even though I find it difficult, and with medical proof, sitting in a room with so many people for a few hours. I'll be glad to leave next year

These are the official instructions for conducting school exams

See sections 1.10 and 11.1

http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations/instructions-for-conducting-examinations-2015-2016.
Thanks a lot, that's very helpful. My school are also not allowing me to go into a separate room for my exam, even though I find it difficult, and with medical proof, sitting in a room with so many people for a few hours. I'll be glad to leave next year

Glad to help, I know how you feel my school were absolute rubbish when it came to reasonable adjustments, I got extra time at school, at uni i was offered Pc use and rest breaks on top so i've never had to sit another exam in pain since then. So it can and does get better when you leave school i promise.
Page 77 of the document on this page, says that schools can photocopy and enlarge onto coloured paper with the permission of the exam boards so unless they dont meet the criteria for that adjustment (which i doubt it) then yes it's definitely allowed.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/access-arrangements-and-reasonable-adjustments-2015-2016

I know this is off topic to this, but do you know where I could find something similar to this where it mentions seating arrangements? Like I mentioned, the school are not allowing me to sit in a smaller room even though I do have a medical certificate of this. Thanks
I know this is off topic to this, but do you know where I could find something similar to this where it mentions seating arrangements? Like I mentioned, the school are not allowing me to sit in a smaller room even though I do have a medical certificate of this. Thanks

I'm afraid further in the document it implies that seperate room arrangements for most circumstances are at the school discreition for long term impairments or circumstances of being suddenly ill, so i think you'd have to go a different way to get it sorted. I presume your school senco is crap?

Get your GP to write a 'letter of recommendation that...' state schools have a somewhat legal role to follow a medical professionals 'advice'.

Hope this helps.
I'm afraid further in the document it implies that seperate room arrangements for most circumstances are at the school discreition for long term impairments or circumstances of being suddenly ill, so i think you'd have to go a different way to get it sorted. I presume your school senco is crap?

Aren't all sencos s**t? :biggrin:
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
Aren't all sencos ****? :biggrin:

Well i've never met a good one, i had to explain to mine what dyspraxia actually is but i've met nothing but good disability support staff at uni, supposedly sencos now have to be trained whereas anyone got the job when i was at school.
Well i've never met a good one, i had to explain to mine what dyspraxia actually is but i've met nothing but good disability support staff at uni, supposedly sencos now have to be trained whereas anyone got the job when i was at school.

Yeah...

you should be able to do it on a computer, they can track what you do so y'know, they should also have a teacher looking after you too....

I'm not sure who my senco is (although I have an idea) and when she was talking to me about not being allowed to take my exam in a separate room she kinda pressured me into saying that I'm fine with doing it in the main hall, so i've got my parents to contact them

I remember a few months ago, she asked me if i wanted to sit in a separate room (this was after my mocks as I had taken one exam out) and she said she'd sort it out, months later she hasn't done anything
I'm not sure who my senco is (although I have an idea) and when she was talking to me about not being allowed to take my exam in a separate room she kinda pressured me into saying that I'm fine with doing it in the main hall, so i've got my parents to contact them

I remember a few months ago, she asked me if i wanted to sit in a separate room (this was after my mocks as I had taken one exam out) and she said she'd sort it out, months later she hasn't done anything

Pressured you into doing something that doesn't suit you, I bet the pta and governors would love to hear that.

Quick Reply

Latest