The Student Room Group

Struggling to forget my ex...

It's been over a year since she cheated on and broke up with me after a five year relationship. The breakup was bitter and it still hurts that I lost such an important part of my life.

I still think about her every day. Not much and usually there's no feeling behind it, but occasionally there are times when I still sit in thought for a few minutes sad and sometimes crying at what I lost. She's moved on with her life and there's no getting back together, I know this, but I just don't know how to move on entirely.

I've focused on myself and all that, been on a few dates etc but just no luck.

Is this normal? How do I deal with this?
you're clearly going to be so much better off without her, as much as it seems bad right now, you will get over it in time, don't try to make yourself forget, like I said, just give yourself time, be patient and distract yourself. I'm sorry you've had to go through this op but she's clearly not even worth thinking about and frankly it looks like you've dodged a bullet being able to get out of the relationship and into a much more rewarding one with someone better, good luck!
Five years is a long time to be with someone and naturally it takes a while to get over it, but just remember she cheated on you. If she valued you that much then she wouldn't have done it, she is the one that tossed the relationship away and in time one day she will realised what she has lost. I would try and go out with friends etc I find that always helps.
Original post by Anonymous
It's been over a year since she cheated on and broke up with me after a five year relationship. The breakup was bitter and it still hurts that I lost such an important part of my life.

I still think about her every day. Not much and usually there's no feeling behind it, but occasionally there are times when I still sit in thought for a few minutes sad and sometimes crying at what I lost. She's moved on with her life and there's no getting back together, I know this, but I just don't know how to move on entirely.

I've focused on myself and all that, been on a few dates etc but just no luck.

Is this normal? How do I deal with this?

She betrayed you and hurt you, you won't get past it until you have someone new to fill that who in your life, but the hurt you feel will never go away. Plus the yearning desire to never ever think about her ever again, will you don't want to hate her and lose the good times you had and how you felt about her which make your life meaningful. Just hate her, push out of your mind, find someone to love. Then over time the hate will go away and you will feel nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending