The Student Room Group

Almost 17 and 5"7... Will I grow anymore?

So basically I am really insecure about my height. I know that I should just accept it and get on with my life as there are people in much worse situations, but I just really struggle to accept the fact that I am short and probably will be for the rest of my life.

Is there any chance I will keep growing for a couple more years and get to like 5"10? M parents aren't short either at 5"11 and 5"6... so I feel as though I definitely reached my limits, but I haven't seen significant growth for the last year or so which is what worries me.

Are there any exercises I can do to try and help my body to gain a few more inches? Also is there any foods that I should be eating? And will lifting weights stunt my growth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sam_1999
So basically I am really insecure about my height. I know that I should just accept it and get on with my life as there are people in much worse situations, but I just really struggle to accept the fact that I am short and probably will be for the rest of my life.

Is there any chance I will keep growing for a couple more years and get to like 5"10? M parents aren't short either at 5"11 and 5"6... so I feel as though I definitely reached my limits, but I haven't seen significant growth for the last year or so which is what worries me.

Are there any exercises I can do to try and help my body to gain a few more inches? Also is there any foods that I should be eating? And will lifting weights stunt my growth?

Dude just eat healthy and you'll grow. Men don't stop growing until 21. I wouldn't worry about it, lol, I'm 5'8 and 18 xD

Yes, weights will stunt your growth, I'd keep away from them until you reached your peak height.
Original post by Drunq
Dude just eat healthy and you'll grow. Men don't stop growing until 21.

You sure? Can't think of many people I knew at 18 who suddenly became notable taller in the few years after. Apparently it's more bone broadening than lengthening.

Pretty sure I was 5ft 7 at 17, and I'm 5ft 7 now. Go Japan OP, 5ft 7 or above is tall lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drunq
Dude just eat healthy and you'll grow. Men don't stop growing until 21. I wouldn't worry about it, lol, I'm 5'8 and 18 xD

Yes, weights will stunt your growth, I'd keep away from them until you reached your peak height.

No, that's a myth, any proof to back that statement up?
Reply 4
Original post by XOR_
I'd predict you being in the middle of 5"8 and 5"9.

I guess 5"9 would be okay, I'd be so happy if I can reach 5"10 though
Reply 5
probably won't grow much more buddy

but it's not worth fussing over.
Reply 6
Original post by joey11223
You sure? Can't think of many people I knew at 18 who suddenly became notable taller in the few years after. Apparently it's more bone broadening than lengthening.

Pretty sure I was 5ft 7 at 17, and I'm 5ft 7 now. Go Japan OP, 5ft 7 or above is tall lol.

You could simply go to your GP and ask if your growth plates have closed yet, by doing this you'll have a much more accurate answer.

Original post by Blazing 420
No, that's a myth, any proof to back that statement up?

It is a myth, however there is also no evidence to support the opposite (weights don't effect height)
Reply 7
Original post by Drunq

Yeah I think that is a good point, I need to make sure I get a lot of sleep and eat healthy. I'm going to start drinking a lot of milk and water as well.
Reply 8
Original post by joey11223

Japan seems good, I don't like anime but I guess I will try and become a weeaboo from now on.
You are 17 so your growth plates most probably aren't closed. So try to get as much nutrients as possible, especially vitamin D.

Also I heard stretching every morning and evening can help.
Reply 10
Original post by Goaded
probably won't grow much more buddy

but it's not worth fussing over.

:frown:

I'd be happy with 5"9 but even so after uni I want to join the Royal Marine's so I guess that will make up for it? (I'm definitely going to have short man syndrome loll)
Reply 11
Original post by XOR_
You may just be late for a growth spur, I went from 5"9-5"10 to 6"0-6"1 in the course of a year (at 15).

Yeah I was kind of a late bloomer in puberty so maybe I will get lucky and have one soon
Japan seems good, I don't like anime but I guess I will try and become a weeaboo from now on.

Dude you don't need to go Japan, trust me.

Some people are late bloomers, like me. I was 5"9", till I was 18 then I had a growth spurt and got to 5"11". And by 19 I was an inch taller.

It all depends on the individual and their genetics, so don't don't jump to conclusions so soon.
Reply 13
:frown:

I'd be happy with 5"9 but even so after uni I want to join the Royal Marine's so I guess that will make up for it? (I'm definitely going to have short man syndrome loll)

ugh, i went to school with my brother and people used to always tell me how hot he is.... and now he's in the army it's even worse :s-smilie: not what you wanna hear lol

but honestly if you're worried about finding someone... anyone worth having wouldn't care.

i'm 5'6 which i guess is average/above average a bit for a girl and honestly i really don't care as long as a guy is taller

Spoiler

You probably won't grow much more to be honest, but don't worry too much about it. Plenty of short men are successful.
Reply 15
Original post by Blazing 420
You are 17 so your growth plates most probably aren't closed. So try to get as much nutrients as possible, especially vitamin D.

Also I heard stretching every morning and evening can help.

Yeah going to try to get as much nutrients as possible, as well as drinking like 4 big glasses of whole milk a day
Original post by Drunq
You could simply go to your GP and ask if your growth plates have closed yet, by doing this you'll have a much more accurate answer.

It is a myth, however there is also no evidence to support the opposite (weights don't effect height)

Here a quick Google search and I have already debunked your claim:https://www.google.mu/#q=lifting+weights+stunts+growth+myth
Reply 17
Original post by Goaded
ugh, i went to school with my brother and people used to always tell me how hot he is.... and now he's in the army it's even worse :s-smilie: not what you wanna hear lol

but honestly if you're worried about finding someone... anyone worth having wouldn't care.

i'm 5'6 which i guess is average/above average a bit for a girl and honestly i really don't care as long as a guy is taller

Spoiler

Haha, it's just when I see all of the girls on Twitter say like men under 6ft shouldn't exist I do get a bit insecure lmao
Reply 18
Haha, it's just when I see all of the girls on Twitter say like men under 6ft shouldn't exist I do get a bit insecure lmao

a good 90% of those girls have STIs and no one to luv them, i wouldnt worry
Reply 19
Original post by anonwinner
Lots of manlets in denial in this thread...

You probably won't grow much more to be honest, but don't worry too much about it. Plenty of short men are successful.

Yeah I guess that's true, I want to join the Royal Marine's and as my dad was one I have met plenty of them and loads were like 5"6/5"7

Latest