The Student Room Group

How did you find the IGCSE English Language exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TRAnders
This is bad to say but I am so glad that everyone struggled with Q2 its making me feel a little more confident about it. I was glad it was a letter because is messed up in November when it was a speech. However the text was unbelievably dull and I also found it hard to understand. Had to read it through about 3 or 4 times just to get the general idea of the the passage. Did any one give a name to Mr Head? His initials where M.R Head right? I called him michael :3 and said that I was euphoric when he left, not sure if thats gonna convince the examiner, but hey! at least I squeezed euphoric in there!

When it was a letter I was so happy...
This is bad to say but I am so glad that everyone struggled with Q2 its making me feel a little more confident about it. I was glad it was a letter because is messed up in November when it was a speech. However the text was unbelievably dull and I also found it hard to understand. Had to read it through about 3 or 4 times just to get the general idea of the the passage. Did any one give a name to Mr Head? His initials where M.R Head right? I called him michael :3 and said that I was euphoric when he left, not sure if thats gonna convince the examiner, but hey! at least I squeezed euphoric in there!

Same, if most people had low marks, they may bring the grade boundaries down.I didn't understand passage A and it took me so long to even work out who Maria was. Am i the only one who had to read the text 3 or more times to find out who Maria was and what her part in the text was ?

I thought M.R Head was Maria Head
Reply 122
Same as me haha i couldnt work it out, but i found the paper not too bad afterwards
For Q2: Was an effect of some of the quotes, for example "entrancing",that is showed how effective Maria's writing was?
Q1: Great, got good overall points and make some decent developments I feel, 15/20 at most.

Q2: Completely screwed up, didn't get the overall effects for half of the words, 7/10 at most.

Q3: Lovely question, most confident that I achieved the bulk of my marks here, 16/20 at most.

Predicted Marks: 38/50
Reply 125
Is my school thw only one that told us to answer q3 then q1 and then q2 so you dont miss out on the easiest marks? 🙈
Bloomin hell, I hope M.R Head wasn't Maria :P O well I suppose Mr Head could be called Michael anyways :/
Bloomin hell, I hope M.R Head wasn't Maria :P O well I suppose Mr Head could be called Michael anyways :/

I said it was....

https://imgur.com/a/zHXfq#qAU67nG
Reply 128

I believe his name was Dick, although in my response i called him richard...
Reply 129
Anyone else looked at the unofficial mark scheme like DAYUUUUMN I ACED IT. Also for q2 the bit wuth laced and trees and stuff... I wad explaining shoe laces 😂 XD
Original post by Yuuna
Anyone else looked at the unofficial mark scheme like DAYUUUUMN I ACED IT. Also for q2 the bit wuth laced and trees and stuff... I wad explaining shoe laces 😂 XD

Do you have a link to this ?
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown

the link dont work..
Original post by NAILFISH007
Do you have a link to this ?

the link for the unofficial markscheme :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4058147
Original post by dizzy daisy
the link for the unofficial markscheme :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4058147

Original post by Rhianmaghie
the link dont work..

That is because it was a leaked image of the paper, it was deleted from the website and 'doesn't exist anymore'
Original post by Yuuna

Looking at the unofficial mark scheme I think I did way better than I thought I did! Hopefully it's enough for an A my dream of getting an A* was shattered after figuring out what the hell the passage was on about hahaha!
The only thing I did different from most people is that for bp3 in q1 I wrote that maria (me) is going to teach the husband a lesson and that he should think about other peoples opinions etc and wrote nothing to do with staying in the hospital, going out to town, playing with the cat while drinking mint tea etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I royally ****ed up this exam. So I accidently made the letter to the hotel manager ((don't ask how!!!)) .. Am I going to lose all 20 marks for that?

Yh i called him pete.
Question 1 was alright, enjoyed the passage actually. I did ramble on a bit though. Question 2 was okay, I just seemed to have way too many ideas and wrote WAY too much (over a page over word limit :frown:) and for Question 3 I mucked it up a bit. I had 15 minutes to do all of Q3, so quickly found as many points as possible (left 2 bullets blank) and wrote pretty much what I needed to (but obviously did not summarize the full 15 bullets).
do u lose marks if you write over limit? If so, how many?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending