The Student Room Group

Electric shock collar for cats?

I got another cat a couple of months ago and he keeps attacking my first cat. They're both male, the first is 4 years and the new one is 2 years old.

I want to stop the new one attacking my other cat so I thought if I could shock him everytime he does it he might stop. Does anyone have experience with such a collar?

I also found this:
http://www.amazon.com/SENTRY-Stop-That-For-Cats/dp/B00EG8LIN0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1462307800&sr=8-7&keywords=shock+collar+for+cats Has anyone tried something similar?

If not a shock collar, does anyone have any other ideas that might work? I spray him with water which splits them up but he just attacks again a few minutes later. I also tried clapping my hands loudly but again he just goes back to attacking.

Scroll to see replies

A big part of me really seriously objects to something as inhumane as an electric shock collar. Maybe keep them separated when you're away and discipline the cat by tapping it on the nose every time it makes an advance? It's time consuming, but far less inhumane than an electric shock collar. :erm:
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
A big part of me really seriously objects to something as inhumane as an electric shock collar. Maybe keep them separated when you're away and discipline the cat by tapping it on the nose every time it makes an advance? It's time consuming, but far less inhumane than an electric shock collar. :erm:

Him attacking my other cat is pretty inhumane. My first cat is now constantly on edge, never comes over for cuddles anymore and has taken to hiding under the sofa or in my closet all day.

I tape him on the nose or make a loud sound when he bites/scratches me and so far neither have made him cut it out.

I don't want to give him back to the shelter as he's lovely a lot of the time and they'll just kill him.
Was never able to discipline dogs with water. Disciplining cats is very hard without use of force, stubborn creatures, I don't see what other choice you have if it keeps attacking the other one, although in theory I strongly object, this is the only practical option I can see.

I very much doubt this will work though.
Original post by Sabertooth
Him attacking my other cat is pretty inhumane. My first cat is now constantly on edge, never comes over for cuddles anymore and has taken to hiding under the sofa or in my closet all day.

I tape him on the nose or make a loud sound when he bites/scratches me and so far neither have made him cut it out.

I don't want to give him back to the shelter as he's lovely a lot of the time and they'll just kill him.

I understand, I wasn't trying to patronise you. I'm sorry if it came across that way! The same thing happened to my cat Sage.
Reply 5
Original post by iEthan
I understand, I wasn't trying to patronise you. I'm sorry if it came across that way! The same thing happened to my cat Sage.

Oh no, I didn't read it as patronizing, I was just trying to outline why things have gotten to this point. I feel really bad for my first cat, he has never been the friendliest cat around but now he's scared of everything (he keeps randomly attacking like my book bag or the bed or the sofa :s-smilie:) and I feel like it's not fair on him. I really like this new cat (he does the sweetest thing where he buries his face into your neck if you're lying down :h: ) and I don't want to give him up but the fighting sometimes gets really bad - they'll be lying on the floor each kicking and biting the other's neck. :/
Oh no, I didn't read it as patronizing, I was just trying to outline why things have gotten to this point. I feel really bad for my first cat, he has never been the friendliest cat around but now he's scared of everything (he keeps randomly attacking like my book bag or the bed or the sofa :s-smilie:) and I feel like it's not fair on him. I really like this new cat (he does the sweetest thing where he buries his face into your neck if you're lying down :h: ) and I don't want to give him up but the fighting sometimes gets really bad - they'll be lying on the floor each kicking and biting the other's neck. :/

It might be of some use to talk to their vet? They might have some behavioural advice. When my cat Onion was bullying Sage, we went to the vet and they recommended the nose tapping thing and some other behavioural stuff. It was so long ago now so I can't remember, but it's worth a go. Sometimes cats just don't get on :erm: — I hope you can get it sorted though. They both sound lovely in their own right… it would be awful to have to give one away.
Reply 7
Original post by iEthan

If this is the cat, I fully support it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
If this is the cat, I fully support it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pardon?
Reply 9
Original post by Foo.mp3
A firm tap on the nose + a stern "NO/BAD!" + the removal of the aggressive cat (ideally put them out) usually learns them (unless they feral) :mrt:

They're both indoor cats so I don't put him out, but I do lock him in the spare bedroom (he has his food and litter box there). He meows and scratches the carpet (he's made a right mess) to get out.

The shelter I got him from found him living behind a supermarket and my wife is always saying how his "eyes look feral". He seems to have adapted well to living inside, it's just my other cat that he hates.
@undercxver can probably help. Has years of experience with her own cats
All shelters don't euthanise the animals handed in, look for one that doesn't if things don't change

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Get them neutered?
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Get them neutered?

Both already are.

Original post by samzy21
All shelters don't euthanise the animals handed in, look for one that doesn't if things don't change

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in the US so there's only one shelter. People in the state I live in don't tend to care about cats (most people with pets here have pitbulls :/ ) so I know he'll be euthanized if I give him back. He's a lovely cat apart from the fighting so I'd prefer to try and fix that rather than have him killed. :frown:
Reply 14
xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
I got another cat a couple of months ago and he keeps attacking my first cat. They're both male, the first is 4 years and the new one is 2 years old.

I want to stop the new one attacking my other cat so I thought if I could shock him everytime he does it he might stop. Does anyone have experience with such a collar?

I also found this:
http://www.amazon.com/SENTRY-Stop-That-For-Cats/dp/B00EG8LIN0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1462307800&sr=8-7&keywords=shock+collar+for+cats Has anyone tried something similar?

If not a shock collar, does anyone have any other ideas that might work? I spray him with water which splits them up but he just attacks again a few minutes later. I also tried clapping my hands loudly but again he just goes back to attacking.

NOOOO
A gentle slap on the face is better
Is there a usual location for attacks? maybe there's some subtle resource guarding going on and making some changes to the layout of the cat resources in your house could reduce the frequency of confrontations.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
@undercxver can probably help. Has years of experience with her own cats

Yes, years experience with my imaginary cats. :colonhash: :rofl:

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend a shock collar, that's quite cruel. :redface: Continue spraying the water and keep both cats separate.
The problem with spraying the water is you punish the poor victim aswell. The other cat is already traumatised. I vote shock collar / removing aggressive cat from home
Never, ever use a shock collar. Under any circumstances.

They are barbaric and cruel for so many reasons - there is not one good reason to use them and anyone that knows anything about cats will tell you the same.

I'm surprised people there are still people left that would even think about using something so cruel.

Quick Reply

Latest