The Student Room Group

Should european women dress modestly to accommodate other cultures?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by slaven
But you must understand the islamistic goat fuc.ker. Allah gave them this passion which is hard to controll. After watching all the live coverep up woman (with the exception of sister and mother) you find it hard when you come to the West and see all thoose uncovered woman. You ever see ther hairs!

The problem isn't refugees, the problem is Islam.

It is not compatible with Western values, and its followers are largely unwilling to adapt.
Reply 82
Original post by Erebor

Original post by Youngmetro
No, but it shouldnt be public indecency i.e. walking with your tits out

In all honesty, the women there should dress fairly modestly seeing as there is a problem there, you're just unnecessarily putting yourself in a vulnerable position when you are fully aware that there are these perverts around and there is a rape problem.

I don't think the woman are 'walking with [their] tits out'; they consider a woman who shows her knees or shoulders as indecently dressed.

You're dangerously close to victim-blaming there. I think what you're trying to say is that on the basis that there is a threat to the safety of women, it would be wise for the women to take the precaution of dressing more conservatively for their own benefit. But you've rather glossed over the real point here, (dare I say intentionally; I'd be willing to bet that you're quite left-wing and definitely in favour of allowing the migrants in) which is that immigrants are bringing with them abhorrent, backward views on women which shouldn't be tolerated. And that by making concessions to these people - because irrespective of the motivation, if women have to start dressing modestly that's a win for the migrants, who feel women in the west dress too provocatively - we are sending the message that we are willing to assimilate their cultural views, which we absolutely should not be doing. It also begs the question of why on earth are we settling the migrants in cities full of native people, when we are well aware of the risk they pose.
Reply 84
In all honesty, the women there should dress fairly modestly seeing as there is a problem there, you're just unnecessarily putting yourself in a vulnerable position when you are fully aware that there are these perverts around and there is a rape problem.
Victim. Blaming.

Rape victims are NEVER responsible for their rape.
Try and get your head around that.
NEVER reponsible!
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
I don't think the woman are 'walking with [their] tits out'; they consider a woman who shows her knees or shoulders as indecently dressed.

You're dangerously close to victim-blaming there. I think what you're trying to say is that on the basis that there is a threat to the safety of women, it would be wise for the women to take the precaution of dressing more conservatively for their own benefit. But you've rather glossed over the real point here, (dare I say intentionally; I'd be willing to bet that you're quite left-wing and definitely in favour of allowing the migrants in) which is that immigrants are bringing with them abhorrent, backward views on women which shouldn't be tolerated. And that by making concessions to these people - because irrespective of the motivation, if women have to start dressing modestly that's a win for the migrants, who feel women in the west dress too provocatively - we are sending the message that we are willing to assimilate their cultural views, which we absolutely should not be doing. It also begs the question of why on earth are we settling the migrants in cities full of native people, when we are well aware of the risk they pose.

The issue isnt migration, but yes, i agree the migrants do pose a threat with their own backwards thinking and attitude. I would say im a centre left kind of person but no, i will NEVER sympathise with anyone who dares to treat women in such a way, regardless of background. I acknowledge that there is too many issues but sometimes such a concession is necessary. I think we can agree that provocative clothing will increase chance of assault, right? These are not rational people, they are sick minded perverts and we cant send any message. Im saying that wearing such clothing is a decision that a woman can make herself, and considering that provocative clothing can attract attention, she can avoid it by not wearing it in the first place. I agree, it isnt ideal but it is a precaution you can take. No message can be put across to these migrants who seem to rape women like this. They're irrational and have been enslaved by their predatory instincts and sick sexual desires.

Migrants do deserve to escape war and not ALL migrants are rapists but i think some form of camp or temporary accomadation is needed for such a large influx.
Original post by QE2
Do you think that the way a woman dresses makes her, in any way at all, responsible if she suffers any kind of sexual assault? Yes or no.

Morally responsible, of course not. But is it a good idea to preach the message of 'don't tell women to be careful, tell rapists not to rape'? I honestly don't know. Maybe what you are wearing has no effect on how likely you are to be sexually assaulted. Maybe it does. I haven't seen any evidence that decisively proves either way and until I do I am reserving judgment.

But we do know that when people who are raped by someone who they do not already know (a small minority mind you) it is usually accompanied by said person being vulnerable in some way, often alone and under the influence of alcohol. Often they are also in a dark area at night. Therefore if you want to avoid being attacked, it's probably a good idea to avoid doing these things. Predatory rapists of that kind know it is wrong to rape and they do not care, so it's useless trying to stop them. They should be treated like trains or wild animals: exercise sensible precautions and don't rely on luck to protect yourself. Incidentally the above goes for both men and women, men can also be victims of sexual assault.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Victim. Blaming.

Rape victims are NEVER responsible for their rape.
Try and get your head around that.
NEVER reponsible!

Capitals, italics and bold won't help your weak argument. It just shows how superficial your argumental skills really are.

Provocative clothing increases chances of getting rape. These are irrational perverts who have fallen to their sexual desires and a bit of skin is all that is needed. Im NOT saying it is the only way to deal with the issue, they shouldnt be anywhere near the rest of society.
No, if they don't like it, they can gtfo.
Reply 89
Original post by Copperknickers
Morally responsible, of course not. But is it a good idea to preach the message of 'don't tell women to be careful, tell rapists not to rape'? I honestly don't know. Maybe what you are wearing has no effect on how likely you are to be sexually assaulted. Maybe it does. I haven't seen any evidence that decisively proves either way and until I do I am reserving judgment.

But we do know that when people who are raped by someone who they do not already know (a small minority mind you) it is usually accompanied by said person being vulnerable in some way, often alone and under the influence of alcohol. Often they are also in a dark area at night. Therefore if you want to avoid being attacked, it's probably a good idea to avoid doing these things. Predatory rapists of that kind know it is wrong to rape and they do not care, so it's useless trying to stop them. They should be treated like trains or wild animals: exercise sensible precautions and don't rely on luck to protect yourself. Incidentally the above goes for both men and women, men can also be victims of sexual assault.
Indeed. But the victim is not responsible to any degree.
The issue isnt migration, but yes, i agree the migrants do pose a threat with their own backwards thinking and attitude. I would say im a centre left kind of person but no, i will NEVER sympathise with anyone who dares to treat women in such a way, regardless of background. I acknowledge that there is too many issues but sometimes such a concession is necessary. I think we can agree that provocative clothing will increase chance of assault, right? These are not rational people, they are sick minded perverts and we cant send any message. Im saying that wearing such clothing is a decision that a woman can make herself, and considering that provocative clothing can attract attention, she can avoid it by not wearing it in the first place. I agree, it isnt ideal but it is a precaution you can take. No message can be put across to these migrants who seem to rape women like this. They're irrational and have been enslaved by their predatory instincts and sick sexual desires.

Migrants do deserve to escape war and not ALL migrants are rapists but i think some form of camp or temporary accomadation is needed for such a large influx.

The issue is most certainly one of migration, insofar as it's the migrants who have brought this attitude with them on a huge scale. I can safely say we agree that these kind of assaults are abhorrent, but the thing is we know about the risk. We know - and have seen on more than one occasion - groups of migrants sexually harassing and assaulting young women all over Europe. And yet we are still housing these migrants in the middle of our towns and cities, it's ludicrous.

I agree that it has become necessary for women to dress more conservatively for their own safety, but I disagree that this necessity is at all acceptable. The fact that a government has come out and said that the native women shouldn't wear 'revealing' clothing, for fear of attacks from the people they took in to help them escape a war zone (supposedly) is ridiculous. The correct precaution would be to make it clear that any migrant found to commit any kind of offense would be summarily deported, and to house the migrants far far away from the native people.

Migrants don't have a right to jack ****. Asylum seekers have a right to escape war, the migrants (who are the majority) are tagging along for the ride to a better life. And whilst not all migrants are rapists, the overwhelming majority of them hold deeply unpleasant views on women, homosexuals and infidels, amongst others.
Reply 91
Provocative clothing increases chances of getting rape.
You're still victim blaming.
Reply 92
i dress modestly anyway (i guess?) but if i didn't i wouldn't be changing for anyone
Reply 93
No these other cultures should integrate into the culture where they go if not go back where they came from, I have no problem with migrants who come here and do adapt to the culture they are ok, but these people who feel so self entitled that the majority should adapt to them shouldn't even bother being here
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
The issue is most certainly one of migration, insofar as it's the migrants who have brought this attitude with them on a huge scale. I can safely say we agree that these kind of assaults are abhorrent, but the thing is we know about the risk. We know - and have seen on more than one occasion - groups of migrants sexually harassing and assaulting young women all over Europe. And yet we are still housing these migrants in the middle of our towns and cities, it's ludicrous.

I agree that it has become necessary for women to dress more conservatively for their own safety, but I disagree that this necessity is at all acceptable. The fact that a government has come out and said that the native women shouldn't wear 'revealing' clothing, for fear of attacks from the people they took in to help them escape a war zone (supposedly) is ridiculous. The correct precaution would be to make it clear that any migrant found to commit any kind of offense would be summarily deported, and to house the migrants far far away from the native people.

Migrants don't have a right to jack ****. Asylum seekers have a right to escape war, the migrants (who are the majority) are tagging along for the ride to a better life. And whilst not all migrants are rapists, the overwhelming majority of them hold deeply unpleasant views on women, homosexuals and infidels, amongst others.

Sorry, i meant to say migration is an issue here. High migration is what has led to high rape rates. As a lefty thinker i disagree that we should make all migrants responsible, but yeah, they should be put in a camp or something as opposed to integrating with society when they dont have the ability to treat women right. Unfortunately, not all my lefties agree. Economic migrants have stopped coming now, EU has put in precautions to stop them so only asylum seekers come in.

Definitely! its wrong that we must accept it as the norm but no one is brave enough to do something about it, hence why fascists and far rights are the only ones brave enough to defy it. Western culture is western culture and the emancipation of women is something we should be proud of; and we are taking a major step back. This is a lazy solution but it is an effective one and unfortunately desperate times call for desperate measures and this is necessary.
Original post by Goaded
i dress modestly anyway (i guess?) but if i didn't i wouldn't be changing for anyone

Not even for yourself? i.e. if not doing so meant putting yourself at risk? In the UK the issue is a little up in the air, but imagine you went to a country like Saudi Arabia or Egypt, where revealing clothing was likely to provoke an aggressive or even violent response? Would you dress modestly to fit with local culture? Or to protect yourself? Which is more important?
Reply 96
Original post by brainhuman
The problem isn't refugees, the problem is Islam.

It is not compatible with Western values, and its followers are largely unwilling to adapt.

Not all the refugees are Muslim. Just because some of these people are stupid doesn't mean you have to generalise all the Muslims.
Reply 97
Original post by Copperknickers
Not even for yourself? i.e. if not doing so meant putting yourself at risk? In the UK the issue is a little up in the air, but imagine you went to a country like Saudi Arabia or Egypt, where revealing clothing was likely to provoke an aggressive or even violent response? Would you dress modestly to fit with local culture? Or to protect yourself? Which is more important?

The question is about whether I should change for other people in my country, not whether I should change for my own safety in their country.

Also have no interest going anywhere besides the UK, so I certainly won't be changing how I dress for anyone.
Original post by Goaded
The question is about whether I should change for other people in my country, not whether I should change for my own safety in their country.

The original question is about the UK, but my post was a hypothetical question to you, intended to shed light on your reasoning for your answer to the OP, because I didn't fully understand it. If you don't want to answer it then fair enough, but I am genuinely interested and I think it's very relevant to the topic at hand.

I repeat: when you say 'I'm not changing for anyone' I presume that does not include yourself, and you would change the way you dressed if it were for your own protection?
(edited 7 years ago)
How about ban multiculturalism, send em back

Hang our governments for treason against all European descent people

Declare Europe a European state, for White European people

Is that so evil? really?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending