The Student Room Group

Are my A-levels fine for a mechanical engineering degree?

I will be taking maths, further maths, physics and maybe economics.
As the title says, will these be fine for a mechanical engineering degree?
Mint. Perfect combo
Original post by Logh

You will be golden with those subjects
Reply 3
If I was unable to take economics for whatever reason, would that be bad or are the other subjects fine for it?
Original post by Logh
If I was unable to take economics for whatever reason, would that be bad or are the other subjects fine for it?

Chemistry goes well with your subjects
Maths, Further Maths and Physics is more than fine. Most uni's are expecting 3 A-levels anyway (Because of the damn A-level reforms).
No, drop all of them and pick up Art, English, French and History then you'll be sweet.
Reply 7
Original post by Zain-A
No, drop all of them and pick up Art, English, French and History then you'll be sweet.

And jobless.
Reply 8
Original post by Funnycatvideos
Chemistry goes well with your subjects

I've thought about chemistry but I'll probably end up failing it if I chose it due to how much I hated Gcse chemistry. It does seem like it would be suitable, but thanks for the suggestion.
Original post by AR_95
And jobless.

Damn right, dole money tho
Reply 10
Original post by TheTechnoGuy
Maths, Further Maths and Physics is more than fine. Most uni's are expecting 3 A-levels anyway (Because of the damn A-level reforms).

I heard through the grapevine that most universities count maths and further maths as one single A-level due to how similar they are, so I got worried.
It does seem like I would be fine anyway.
Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by Logh

Could not be better!!
Original post by AR_95
And jobless.

>implying that only STEM students get jobs
Reply 13
Original post by Zain-A

Art is pretty impossible since I didn't do it at Gcse, I hate English tests with a fiery passion and the same goes for French.
History seems fun tho.
Original post by Logh
I heard through the grapevine that most universities count maths and further maths as one single A-level due to how similar they are, so I got worried.
It does seem like I would be fine anyway.
Thanks!

I've only head LSE do that. As far as I know, Imperial, UCL etc count them as two separate qualifications, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't overhaul yourself with subjects. Aim to do 3 but be really good at them. Those 3 are perfect for Mech. Eng. I know quite a few from my sixth form that went onto do mech and civil eng with just those 3 at Cambridge, Imperial UCL etc. Just to name a few.
Reply 15
Original post by Abstract_Prism
>implying that only STEM students get jobs

Engineering master race

Reply 16
Original post by TheTechnoGuy
I've only head LSE do that. As far as I know, Imperial, UCL etc count them as two separate qualifications, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just don't overhaul yourself with subjects. Aim to do 3 but be really good at them. Those 3 are perfect for Mech. Eng. I know quite a few from my sixth form that went onto do mech and civil eng with just those 3 at Cambridge, Imperial UCL etc. Just to name a few.

This is really quite helpful.
I didn't want to do more than necessary for fear of failing the whole lot, but I wasn't sure upon whether the three were fine by themselves.

Thanks for helping me.
Original post by Logh
This is really quite helpful.
I didn't want to do more than necessary for fear of failing the whole lot, but I wasn't sure upon whether the three were fine by themselves.

Thanks for helping me.

No Problem! Good luck with your GCSE's!

Quick Reply

Latest