The Student Room Group

Montessori Diploma

This is a little bit different, but I wasn't sure where else to ask.

I am currently applying for a Montessori Diploma after having completed a BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education Studies, however I'm unsure how to write the personal statement.

Does anyone have any advice?
Unless someone on here is doing the course you're unlikely to get responses. Does the uni not have any guidance? Generally, you want to talk about why the course and uni, why you and what skills you have and maybe any career plans.
Just standard

Why you want to do the course; the personal and academic qualities that make you suitable for the course; any personal or academic challenges that may affect your performance on the course and your plans for the future.
Reply 3
Yeah, it's a little different so I wasn't expecting many replies. Thank you both for the fast replies and helpful advice!
Thats from the montessoru or a montessori site.
Hey :redface:

I was just wondering if you finally got in? I did! so I will be starting this September.
Reply 6
Original post by Mother's Mercy
Hey :redface:

I was just wondering if you finally got in? I did! so I will be starting this September.

Hello! I'm still working on my personal statement and need to submit my application. I'm planning on distance learning for the Level 4 Diploma from September 2016. What have you applied for? Do you know the deadline date? I can't find anything on their website and tried contacting them and didn't get a reply.

Oh! I forgot to ask: are you doing the MCI degree? ( http://mci.montessori.org.uk/diploma/level-3-and-4-diploma/ )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kaykayM
Hello! I'm still working on my personal statement and need to submit my application. I'm planning on distance learning for the Level 4 Diploma from September 2016. What have you applied for? Do you know the deadline date? I can't find anything on their website and tried contacting them and didn't get a reply.

Oh! I forgot to ask: are you doing the MCI degree? ( http://mci.montessori.org.uk/diploma/level-3-and-4-diploma/ )

Hello Kaykay :smile:

In my personal statement I talked about how I heard of Montessori education while I was volunteering with an NGO in Guatemala and other experiences with children, and how that made me realise that I wanted to teach children. Explain why you think the Montessori method is the most suitable or why do you particulary agree with it and like it. What qualities do you have that are transferable to the course? I would also recommend mentioning your future plans. Still want to work with children? In the country? abroad? what do you plan on doing after you get your diploma? want to pursue any further education? etc.

Apparently you are applying for a different institution. I will be studying this course at the London Institute https://www.mariamontessori.org/training/what-we-offer/ami-diploma-course/3-6-years/

I have not heard of the organisation you are applying for. However, the only official Montessori training organisation in the UK is the Maria Montessori Institute in London. There are other training centres (like the one you are applying for) that are not AMI (Association Montessori Internationale) certified. If you want to make sure of the credibility of your course I would phone the Institute in London and ask them yourself, because they have a list of every AMI certified training centre and like I said, there is only one in the UK.

Also, I remember reading that the reason why the official training centres do not offer long distance training anymore is because they are not highly regarded, unlike presencial courses. If there are any chances you could do presencial instead, I would really recommend it!

Regarding the deadline... I wouldn't waste a minute. Send the application ASAP because it's already May. When I email the Maria Montessori Institute (MMI) I usually get a reply within minutes or a couple hours, so I don't know why the training centre you've applied for is taking so long. Have you tried ringing them instead?

If you have any quesions just ask!

EDIT

The reason why I am telling you about the AMI certified training centres is for the following reason. Maria Montessori never trademarked/copyrighted the word Montessori. That means that anyone can add 'Montessori' in their school name or training centre... but is it really? that's why there are so many Montessori schools around the world that claim to be Montessori but aren't or just adhere to half her teachings. That's why I would make sure you are studying at an AMI certified training centre, because that is official and recognised by the official Montessori body internationally. That also means that proper Montessori schools (AMI schools) would prefer teachers who have trained at an AMI certified centre as well.

I am copy-pasting a couple of links that I think you could be interested in and/or be usefu to you.

https://www.mariamontessori.org/about-us/what-is-ami/
http://ami-global.org/

Wow this is very long now! :redface: I hope it was useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mother's Mercy
Hello Kaykay :smile:

In my personal statement I talked about how I heard of Montessori education while I was volunteering with an NGO in Guatemala and other experiences with children, and how that made me realise that I wanted to teach children. Explain why you think the Montessori method is the most suitable or why do you particulary agree with it and like it. What qualities do you have that are transferable to the course? I would also recommend mentioning your future plans. Still want to work with children? In the country? abroad? what do you plan on doing after you get your diploma? want to pursue any further education? etc.

Apparently you are applying for a different institution. I will be studying this course at the London Institute https://www.mariamontessori.org/training/what-we-offer/ami-diploma-course/3-6-years/

I have not heard of the organisation you are applying for. However, the only official Montessori training organisation in the UK is the Maria Montessori Institute in London. There are other training centres (like the one you are applying for) that are not AMI (Association Montessori Internationale) certified. If you want to make sure of the credibility of your course I would phone the Institute in London and ask them yourself, because they have a list of every AMI certified training centre and like I said, there is only one in the UK.

Also, I remember reading that the reason why the official training centres do not offer long distance training anymore is because they are not highly regarded, unlike presencial courses. If there are any chances you could do presencial instead, I would really recommend it!

Regarding the deadline... I wouldn't waste a minute. Send the application ASAP because it's already May. When I email the Maria Montessori Institute (MMI) I usually get a reply within minutes or a couple hours, so I don't know why the training centre you've applied for is taking so long. Have you tried ringing them instead?

If you have any quesions just ask!

EDIT

The reason why I am telling you about the AMI certified training centres is for the following reason. Maria Montessori never trademarked/copyrighted the word Montessori. That means that anyone can add 'Montessori' in their school name or training centre... but is it really? that's why there are so many Montessori schools around the world that claim to be Montessori but aren't or just adhere to half her teachings. That's why I would make sure you are studying at an AMI certified training centre, because that is official and recognised by the official Montessori body internationally. That also means that proper Montessori schools (AMI schools) would prefer teachers who have trained at an AMI certified centre as well.

I am copy-pasting a couple of links that I think you could be interested in and/or be usefu to you.

https://www.mariamontessori.org/about-us/what-is-ami/
http://ami-global.org/

Wow this is very long now! :redface: I hope it was useful.

Woah, super helpful with the personal statement advice - thank you! :smile:

MCI is official, so your information regarding AMI being the only 'official' organisation in the UK is incorrect. I've only briefly heard of AMI as I'm currently working with someone who got their degree abroad and has an AMI certificate. I'm surprised you've never heard of MCI as it's the only official Montessori organisation I had heard of in the UK.

I know about people using the Montessori name just to look good, as official Montessori settings need to be accredited.

I just looked into AMI and it is ridiculously expensive! So I would just double check because I have never even heard of an AMI school in the UK, whereas MCI schools are easy to find - they're listed on the official site.

EDIT:
There are two official organisations in the UK - MCI and AMI. MCI is the most popular in the UK, is international, and a lot cheaper. AMI is very popular in the US, is international, and very expensive.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply