The Student Room Group

Boots body fat measurer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom360
Two and a half years later...

Oh sh*t :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Most bodyfat scales are poo. I work for a big commercial gym and we have a set of omron scales which are used to measure things like: bodyfat %, Skeletal Muscle, Visceral fat, BMI etc. There not cheap either cost well over £200!

Anyway in the user manual there is a long list of people who can not use the scales this list includes: Pregnant women, elderly people, people with swelling, bodybuilders or highly trained athletes.

The maunal says it sends a currant through the foot pad which can only pass through certain bodily tissues. Skeptical as there is no warnings about electricity or anythin on the mcahine. Before you stand on it you programme in someones age, gender, and height. Personally i think from your height and weight it works out your BMI and then makes an educated guess about everything else.

As im about 100kg and 5'10" i have a BMI that makes me obese (i keep visable abbs even in the off season) so the mchine gave me some random reading, then my friend whos skin and bones (litteraly, the dude looks ill in a vest) stepped on and his skeletal muscle score was 10% higher than mine!
The scales at Boots might be ok for measuring your height and weight, but the fat percentage is bs. I am 5ft2, size 4-6, 48 kg, and visible abs (gym/yoga/pilates regularly, plus have a tidy diet). Yet, the scales at boots measured my body fat to a whooping 32%....the measurement at the gym was at 22%. I genuinely think those scales are rubbish and totally inaccurate
Original post by Angrybanana
Went into boots earlier and used one of their bmi/body fat percentage scales and it told me that despite having a BMI of 22.9 I have a body fat percentage of 35.9% :s-smilie: Seeing as I'm a healthy weight how is that even possible? I eat healthily and I exercise regularly. What's going on? Should I worry about this?

they are so unreliable just go get a DexaScan.

(edit): just noticed OP message was 7 years ago ....

:hmmm: I wonder who bumped this thread then :mob:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
they are so unreliable just go get a DexaScan.

(edit): just noticed OP message was 7 years ago ....

:hmmm: I wonder who bumped this thread then :mob:

You do know how expesnive they are yeah?
Original post by Angry cucumber
You do know how expesnive they are yeah?

Yeah about £100 but they are the more accurate methods out there atm.

+ they give feedback on different parts of your body for example:

https://gyazo.com/03d773a9d5302888f6590a5bac923466
Original post by FTC199
you are female so your body fat percentage will be high anyway, these work by sending an electrical current through your body, did you hold onto something or would it have seem sent through your feet on the scales? because if it was sent through your feet then wearing rubber shoes could have affected it (obscure but a theory).

Your BMI is healthy, although it is on the higher side of healthy (ever so slightly). Also, some people just naturally store more body fat (there is a gene on something).

These are all theories though, im not sure they are entirely scientific

What if her organs were smaller than average, her bone density was lower than average and she had virtually no muscle? That means her weight would be fairly low and be given a low BMI however she'd still be unhealthy in terms of actual fat in her body. BMI is useless out of the lot.

Edit: Just realised 7 years ago haha...

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yeah about £100 but they are the more accurate methods out there atm.

+ they give feedback on different parts of your body for example:

https://gyazo.com/03d773a9d5302888f6590a5bac923466

Dexa can be quite inaccurate, about 3-5%. The best one to go for is the underwater one.
(edited 7 years ago)
In my experience, the Boots machines are only really useful for measuring your height. The scales themselves are essentially useless unless you've eaten nothing that day and are in very light clothes, and, on much the same grounds, I question the reliability of the BF% calculator.

Quick Reply

Latest