The Student Room Group

High unemployment rate in Comp/IT, then why government 2nd degree funding?

Hi there,

I was just curious. If there is a high unemployment rate within Computing/IT subjects, why are the government providing people with the opportunity to study it as a second degree. Meaning why is funding available to study it as a second higher education qualification, when other subjects are all a no go?

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

Boba
Original post by Boba_fett1
Hi there,

I was just curious. If there is a high unemployment rate within Computing/IT subjects, why are the government providing people with the opportunity to study it as a second degree. Meaning why is funding available to study it as a second higher education qualification, when other subjects are all a no go?

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

Boba

Funding isn't available from the government to study IT as a second degree. ELQ exempt subjects only cover NHS funded degrees.

The only exception to this is for PART TIME study where ELQ rules are relaxed for all science and engineering courses (including IT) - but part time study is only offered tuition fee support and no living costs
I find that there is a couple of reasons why computer science is regarded as having the highest employability rate.

1) Some less capable students will pick easier modules in their second and third years, such as "Computers and the law" (which we have in my uni), rather than some kind of programming or algorithms modules. The easier modules aren't in demand in industry so help to raising the unemployment rate.

2) Typical IT jobs and other less technical roles tend to be lumped into the category of computer science so these roles also aren't highly in demand.

So if you pick the right modules, you won't have to worry about unemployment.

Quick Reply

Latest