The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Okay, wasn't as nice as I would have liked tbh. Assuming the grade boundaries are 106 for an A*, I need 38:

Q1 worst case scenario 10+3=13
Q2 worst case scenario 8
Q3 worst case scenario 12+4 = 16
That would give me 37

Q1 best case scenario 12+5 = 17
Q2 best case scenario 10
Q3 best case scenario 15+5= 20
That would give me 47

Q1 realistic prediction 11+4 = 15
Q2 realistic prediction = 8/9 ( go for 8 to not get too optimistic)
Q3 realistic prediction = 13 + 5
That would give me 41.

So God willingly, I should scrape the A*;it all depends on both the examiner and the grade boundaries.
Did core paper, anyone else did the same?
Original post by DontSweatIt
This has probably been answered thousands of times already, but if you don't get all 15 points, will the mistakes you made (in 3a) be carried over to the actual summary (3b) and thus you'll be penalised for it?

No to get 5/5 on 3B you have to make sure 'The response is well focused on the passage and the question. All points areexpressed clearly, concisely and fluently, and in the candidate’s own words(where appropriate) throughout."
So I presume as long as you express the points you made well, even if incorrect, you should gain the marks :smile:
http://youtu.be/5SvV3ZqwZWQ
Someone make a video like this so grade boundaries can decrease

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1204
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme?? :smile:
Ok probably massively niche question, but did anyone else notice the misuse of the term 'nerve agent' in passage B? They should have referred to the pesticide as a neurotoxin, as it was described to be persistent (which nerve agents aren't) and had a depressant effect (indicative of being a precursor of paralysis) rather than a convulsive effect.
I am confused - and worried! On the front of the answer booklet it said nothing about not using highlighters - and on other subject answer booklet it does (I have just checked this on their website). I have noticed this on past English 0522 papers and so my classmates and I have always gone ahead and used them to help summarise the points in Q. 3. Assuming that they allow it. Our teacher has never said not to either - only to keep within the box.

I am now panicking after speaking to other pupils from another school that my answers will be obscured by the highlighter when it's scanned. But if the instructions don't mention it (and I don't think the invigilator did either) then how can they penalise us - perhaps they will need to re- mark the original paper but I can't see how we can be disqualified when there's no instruction on the paper not to use them - only staples, paperclips, correcting fluid and glue.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Original post by cazza0104
I am confused - and worried! On the front of the answer booklet it said nothing about not using highlighters - and on other subject answer booklet it does (I have just checked this on their website). I have noticed this on past English 0522 papers and so my classmates and I have always gone ahead and used them to help summarise the points in Q. 3. Assuming that they allow it. Our teacher has never said not to either - only to keep within the box.

I am now panicking after speaking to other pupils from another school that my answers will be obscured by the highlighter when it's scanned. But if the instructions don't mention it (and I don't think the invigilator did either) then how can they penalise us - perhaps they will need to re- mark the original paper but I can't see how we can be disqualified when there's no instruction on the paper not to use them - only staples, paperclips, correcting fluid and glue.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I wouldn't over worry, you have only used it for one question, which is only worth 10%. At the worse case, your exam paper gets marked by hand and you will maybe lose one mark because of a grumpy examiner.
Original post by george_c00per
Am I the only one who didn't do any coursework for English Lang? We did the 25% Speaking but none of this coursework everyone is talking about. We did coursework for English Lit though.

Nope I didn't do any either. Just speaking and listening which is what confuses me 🤔🤔
Reply 1209
Original post by 123Master321
High 30's say 37 -40

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you work this out?? My teacher kept saying she would show us the spreadsheet with how much we needed but never did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by byaakun
Nope I didn't do any either. Just speaking and listening which is what confuses me 🤔🤔

Do you guys have to do the Friday exam too?
Original post by Mlb37
How do you work this out?? My teacher kept saying she would show us the spreadsheet with how much we needed but never did

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although coursework has lots of marks, it is worth 40% of the grade so you scale it down. S&L is worth 30 marks but 20% of the grade so it is scaled down, A* is roughly 85% so you can calculate what you need.
Reply 1213
Original post by 123Master321
Although coursework has lots of marks, it is worth 40% of the grade so you scale it down. S&L is worth 30 marks but 20% of the grade so it is scaled down, A* is roughly 85% so you can calculate what you need.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attachment not found
Original post by Midnightmemories
Did core paper, anyone else did the same?

how was it?
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
Do you guys have to do the Friday exam too?

Yeah. ^^
Which is paper 3: directed writing and composition
Original post by byaakun
Yeah. ^^
Which is paper 3: directed writing and composition

Yeah... Descriptive or narrative?
Guys, is 60% coursework and 40% exam and 20% S+L????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate::damnmate:
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
Yeah... Descriptive or narrative?

IS 20% s+, 60% coursework and 40% exam???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending