The Student Room Group

Recommended A-Levels

What would be the recommended course at A-Level for Raf officer in the regiment.
I am also a Cpl looking to become a Sgt soon in the air cadets.
1) Have a look on the Royal Air Force Careers site, it should tell you which kind of A-Levels to choose.
2) Have you considered doing a vocational course instead at your local college?

When the RAF talks about having A-Levels on its recruitment site, they mean A-Level equivalents. I'd go for a vocational course.
When the RAF talks about A-Levels it means having A-Levels *or* equivalents. Do whatever you will enjoy and in which are likely to do well. The subjects don't matter as long as they aren't on the unacceptable list, this is subjects such as General Studies and Critical Thinking.
Reply 3
Original post by recordplayee
1) Have a look on the Royal Air Force Careers site, it should tell you which kind of A-Levels to choose.
2) Have you considered doing a vocational course instead at your local college?

When the RAF talks about having A-Levels on its recruitment site, they mean A-Level equivalents. I'd go for a vocational course.

1- it doesn't, because they don't prescribe such things, except for ones that aren't acceptable. If OP wants an A level in music then they can get it and the RAF will accept it.
2- either are fine.

And no, when the RAF talks about A levels they mean A levels. Equivalents are also acceptable, but it's both.

Original post by JayShipway101
What would be the recommended course at A-Level for Raf officer in the regiment.
I am also a Cpl looking to become a Sgt soon in the air cadets.

The RAF don't really mind what A levels you have, just that you have the minimum requirements. The careers site will tell you the number of UCAS points required as a minimum, but you should aim to exceed these. So pick the A levels you'll pass well at.

As an officer you'll be expected - and will need to be - articulate and able to communicate via written and verbal methods to a high level, so have a think about what A level courses could be the best for that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest