The Student Room Group

Myth-Busting Mondays: How often are people with Asthma hospitalised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
We have to consider the length of the question as that wouldn't fit as a title and most people seem to be able to understand the meaning of it as it is :h:

Lose the 'on average', and mine is barely longer as well as not being ambiguous and misleading :smile:

How often are people with Asthma hospitalised in the UK?
There's an asthma-related hospital admission in the UK every...

If it were the world, rather than the UK, it'd probably be safer to have asthma than not! (At least as written - including all admissions, regardless of link to asthma...)
Every 8 mins I'm sure.
Original post by unprinted
Lose the 'on average', and mine is barely longer as well as not being ambiguous and misleading :smile:

I think once you look at the poll options, it's self explanatory what the question is referring to - unless people think it's one poor individual being hospitalised constantly! :wink:

It's also fair to assume that it's talking about asthma related admittances, given the nature of the thread :yep:
Original post by shadowdweller
It's also fair to assume that it's talking about asthma related admittances, given the nature of the thread

Are you saying that asthmatics don't have a higher level of, oh, heart attacks?
Original post by unprinted
Are you saying that asthmatics don't have a higher level of, oh, heart attacks?

Not at all, I hope it didn't seem like I was implying that! However, I think it's fair to assume that the thread is talking about asthma attacks and similar, in this instance :smile:
I have had asthma for the past ten years and without my two inhalers I don't know what I would have done. Luckily I've never had to be admitted to hospital due to asthma but I hate to think how severe some people get it for them to have to go to hospital and one person every eight minutes at that. That's shocking.
The commonly held estimate is 8 minutes.

If half of my asthma patients would stop bloody smoking then it'd probably be significantly less.
I had asthma-like symptoms when I was a kid, but it was actually due to my chest wall dipping downwards so I'd have trouble breathing. It's a lot better now though. That estimate is crazy high, but I believe it.
Original post by Friar Chris

If half of my asthma patients would stop bloody smoking then it'd probably be significantly less.

After almost 2 and a half years, they have finally stopped asking me if I smoke. I'm not stupid. I've seen what it can do to people.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
It's world Asthma awareness day tomorrow (03/05/16) and we'd like to hear if you have experience with Asthma, or how much you know about it!

"Asthma is a common long-term condition that can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and breathlessness." Find out more about Asthma here.

Use the poll to cast your vote! Answers will be released tomorrow.

As someone with mild asthma, even the blue inhalers are not enough to control it. I use the brown preventative inhalers to control shortness of breath. Often triggers such as pollen and dust can exacerbate symptoms of Asthma. It is common to associate asthma with obesity or being unfit, but I know many, including myself, who do not fit into this stereotype.

Let us know about your experiences! Please note: you can post anonymously in this thread :smile:

What's the answer?!?!?!?!
Original post by kalclash
What's the answer?!?!?!?!

She posted earlier in the thread- one eveey eight minutes :redface:

Possibly a more disturbing statistic is three deaths a day, two of which on average are classed as preventable :s-smilie:
Original post by furryface12

Possibly a more disturbing statistic is three deaths a day, two of which on average are classed as preventable :s-smilie:

That is really scary. I've come across people who just seem to think it's some minor medical complain where we all just need a little subutamol (blue) and we'll all be fine.
Original post by furryface12

Original post by Tiger Rag
That is really scary. I've come across people who just seem to think it's some minor medical complain where we all just need a little subutamol (blue) and we'll all be fine.

I think it's often seen as a minor childhood disease, I see people having life threatening asthma attacks from time to time though, when it's like that it's definitely not minor.

Yeah, it very often seems to be seen as little more than an excuse to get out of PE when it can be far more serious than that. I wasn't even allowed to take my inhaler into exams at one point as apparently they don't actually do anything and could somehow be used to cheat. Strangely enough once I had an attack in one and ended up in hospital the day after they let me, although perhaps more weirdly that was also the best exam grade I got all year!

Edit: what moonkatt said too :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Friar Chris
The commonly held estimate is 8 minutes.

PRSOM
After almost 2 and a half years, they have finally stopped asking me if I smoke. I'm not stupid. I've seen what it can do to people.

One of the asthma nurses back in wales asked if I smoked when i was under age every time i had an appointment, they only stopped once i reminded them smoking caused a parent's death.
Original post by claireestelle
One of the asthma nurses back in wales asked if I smoked when i was under age every time i had an appointment, they only stopped once i reminded them smoking caused a parent's death.

:hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks bubbles :smile: just got quite fed up when they kept asking that question really, felt like they didn't trust that i wasn't a smoker.
Original post by claireestelle
thanks bubbles :smile: just got quite fed up when they kept asking that question really, felt like they didn't trust that i wasn't a smoker.

That's how I felt too. I can understand being asked when I first went.
That's how I felt too. I can understand being asked when I first went.

I can understand one time, but after that it makes no sense for an asthmatic to decide to take up smoking so was annoying that they kept asking.

Quick Reply

Latest