The Student Room Group

Is it normal that neither of my choices for university feel 'right'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 13051997
This is what I was thinking, but it's my only option! I've heard so many great things about Sheffield and no one complaining about it, however I went and visited and my gut feeling just wasn't right - I really didn't like the fact it was a city campus and the fact the accommodation is quite a distance from the lectures. What kinds of 'things' are there to do in Sheffield?

The accommodation isn't too far, city accommodation is less than 5 minutes away. Endcliffe is 20-25 mins but you get used to it quickly.

The better question is what can't you do in Sheffield. We have hundreds of societies and they're all very good at handling beginners
So I applied to 5 universities to study Biology. I got rejected from Bristol, but have conditional offers from University of Sheffield and University of Southampton and 2 unconditional offers from Cardiff University and UEA.

Sheffield and Southampton are the best in terms of league tables and student satisfaction for the course therefore ideally I'd want to go to either one of those. I was really keen on Sheffield up until I visited the university independently, which I came to realise was a city campus. The city itself is nice but I really didn't get the right feeling for it and left feeling disappointed. Therefore, I visited Southampton and really loved the fact it was a campus uni, although the city centre isn't as great.

I have spent the past week deliberating and changing my mind and ultimately it's left me to the decision that I don't want to go to either and I have lost all excitement. Is this normal? or is this just pre university nerves?

I still have put down a firm or insurance and the deadline is tomorrow :frown:

I felt the same I went for the one I liked best and had a great few years in Southampon (Solent).
Reply 22
Original post by Helloworld_95
The accommodation isn't too far, city accommodation is less than 5 minutes away. Endcliffe is 20-25 mins but you get used to it quickly.

The better question is what can't you do in Sheffield. We have hundreds of societies and they're all very good at handling beginners

My worry is that when I went to visit, I didn't particularly like it, and my gut feeling wasn't right... BUT everyone says it's great so I don't know whether to go with my gut or what everyone else is saying
My worry is that when I went to visit, I didn't particularly like it, and my gut feeling wasn't right... BUT everyone says it's great so I don't know whether to go with my gut or what everyone else is saying

Did you meet students and staff or did you just wander round the campus on your own? I can imagine some of it looks impersonal as you dont see the whole picture.

Psy on both the Sheffield uni and Southampton sites to speak to students. If you went back again and still didnt like it, then I would say it isnt for you. Its a good place to do a degree imo, city and uni, but it has to be your choice. Every uni has the potential to offer a good or rubbish experience, so part of it is what you make of it.
Reply 24
Original post by 999tigger
Did you meet students and staff or did you just wander round the campus on your own? I can imagine some of it looks impersonal as you dont see the whole picture.

Psy on both the Sheffield uni and Southampton sites to speak to students. If you went back again and still didnt like it, then I would say it isnt for you. Its a good place to do a degree imo, city and uni, but it has to be your choice. Every uni has the potential to offer a good or rubbish experience, so part of it is what you make of it.

Just wandered around the campus by myself which is partly the problem - I selected it on my application because the university was good and I had heard good things about the city but had left it last minute to visit (2 weeks ago) to double check before deciding to put it as my firm.
Part of me considers putting it as my firm and maybe going back to visit again, however that would mean rejecting Southampton - which is somewhere where I liked the campus and is close to home.
Just wandered around the campus by myself which is partly the problem - I selected it on my application because the university was good and I had heard good things about the city but had left it last minute to visit (2 weeks ago) to double check before deciding to put it as my firm.
Part of me considers putting it as my firm and maybe going back to visit again, however that would mean rejecting Southampton - which is somewhere where I liked the campus and is close to home.

Because you know your grades, then you cant have an insurance?
They cant extrend it? Aas you already know your grades, can you contact both and asl them to extend it for 2 weeks so you cna have the chance to visit again?

I would have contacted the Sheffield department and asked for an informal visit, so I go a chat with a lecturer or at least a student rep on the course and I would take great stock in what they said and how they treated me. Go with a parent or friend if possible. Did you even wander round the labs and the department? I can see how it would be impersonal if you werent too sure what was what.

Even worse if the weather was rubbish. The second visit would help you make the decision imo. Maybe even stay overnight. Its worth it as you will commit to £50,000 worth of debt.

Southampton might have seemed safer, more personal and manageable. If those are more important factors, then go there as people do get home sick, but it doesnt tend to last. the Sheffield campis just reflects the way its expanded onto available land over the years, but I see the biology building is very central and close to theSU and library. Accommodation is all over the place, so it was a bit mystifying why you think its far away, unless it was Uni owned and a hall. Just ask on the Sheffield bits of the forum.
(edited 7 years ago)
So I applied to 5 universities to study Biology. I got rejected from Bristol, but have conditional offers from University of Sheffield and University of Southampton and 2 unconditional offers from Cardiff University and UEA.

Sheffield and Southampton are the best in terms of league tables and student satisfaction for the course therefore ideally I'd want to go to either one of those. I was really keen on Sheffield up until I visited the university independently, which I came to realise was a city campus. The city itself is nice but I really didn't get the right feeling for it and left feeling disappointed. Therefore, I visited Southampton and really loved the fact it was a campus uni, although the city centre isn't as great.

I have spent the past week deliberating and changing my mind and ultimately it's left me to the decision that I don't want to go to either and I have lost all excitement. Is this normal? or is this just pre university nerves?

I still have put down a firm or insurance and the deadline is tomorrow :frown:

Hey, sorry to hear that you feel like this :frown:. Picking a University to study at is a really stressful thing - balancing the 'feel' of the place, the course content, the tutors, financial implications, the town or location you will be studying in, the mix of students, the clubs and societies...... there is a never ending list of things that influence the decision. Have you spoken to the University's you have selected? Maybe a couple more visits to each would help, or give you the chance to talk about what's on your mind and any other options?

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)

Quick Reply

Latest