The Student Room Group

Possible Tory election fraud.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
They have a majority of 18. We know that, allegedly, they illegally campaigned for 24 seats and won 22 seats. That's 22 Tory MPs in Parliament that shouldn't be (and should, in fact, be in prison). If those 22 seats didn't belong to the Tories they wouldn't have a majority.

Allegedly. Until there's firm charges, we don't know.

But I don't have a dog in the fight. Just trying to offer perspective.
Original post by M14B
Why not?

Dodgy Dave and his mates playing dirty? Who would have known. :rolleyes:
Original post by gladders
Allegedly. Until there's firm charges, we don't know.

But I don't have a dog in the fight. Just trying to offer perspective.

The media doesn't normally have a problem with throwing around allegations. I'm not saying we need a general election right now, of course we need to wait for a full investigation. I'm just commenting on the media's lack of interest.
I still find it unbelievable that people cannot accept the election result, even if what they did had any effect it would have been very very insignificant. The Conservatives won the election because the people decided they were best fit to govern. Labour, the Greens and the Lib Dems were more or less rejected across the UK. It isn't a case of playing dirty, it's a case of people needing to realise that the public find certain parties unelectable because of their policies. Even with a proportional system the Conservatives would have still been the largest party. It is time people accepted that the election was lost for parties based on policies and leaders, not on possible dirty tactics or suspected fraud.
Reply 24
Original post by TheGuyReturns
They have been silent on their television network.

Original post by JordanL_
The worst part is that the BBC has been completely silent about this.

So not completely silent then, which is the post I replied to.

Funny to see the Tory boys here have no actual defense of this disgusting fraud.

Why's that funny? If it is malicious fraud then there is no defence.
Original post by ashy14
I still find it unbelievable that people cannot accept the election result, even if what they did had any effect it would have been very very insignificant. The Conservatives won the election because the people decided they were best fit to govern. Labour, the Greens and the Lib Dems were more or less rejected across the UK. It isn't a case of playing dirty, it's a case of people needing to realise that the public find certain parties unelectable because of their policies. Even with a proportional system the Conservatives would have still been the largest party. It is time people accepted that the election was lost for parties based on policies and leaders, not on possible dirty tactics or suspected fraud.

Yes and even if those 26 had not committed any type of fraud which I cannot say they have even committed anything at all, they probably would still have won those seats. Stop being a sore loser. Even then if you take away the 26, the Conservative Party would have made a coalition with the DUP, Lib Dems and maybe UKIP. You are clutching at straws.
Original post by ashy14
Yes and even if those 26 had not committed any type of fraud which I cannot say they have even committed anything at all, they probably would still have won those seats. Stop being a sore loser. Even then if you take away the 26, the Conservative Party would have made a coalition with the DUP, Lib Dems and maybe UKIP. You are clutching at straws.

Lack a majority would have significant repercussions over bills that the Tories subsequently wouldn't have the power to push through. And what if I happen to support one of the parties in red? Should I just shut up and put up and accept that I've potentially been seriously ****ed over?

Typical corner cutting Tory mindset.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by ashy14

No really sure what you're trying to say here, you think we should let them get away with fraud?
Lack a majority would have significant repercussions over bills that the Tories would have the power to push through. And what if I happen to support one of the parties in red? Should I just shut up and put up and accept that I've potentially been seriously ****ed over?

I doubt it would be classed as "****ed over" if a minor political party had achieved a place in government as part of a coalition, I think that would be quite positive actually and some of the parties highlighted were bound to have a disaster in the election anyway eg the Lib Dems, it woudln't have taken much for the Conservatives to gain the seats they won from the Lib Dems, I doubt any possible fraud would have had any effect.

Yes the Conservatives would have had more trouble putting forward bills but the core elements would still be present. It's time to move on from 2015, all political parties should be focusing on their future elections not trying to bring up the past just to stir things up because they are not happy that they lost. Of course justice needs to be done if fraud is proved but it by no means harms the Conservative's mandate in power as if fraud was committed the effects would have been tiny.
Original post by hovado
No really sure what you're trying to say here, you think we should let them get away with fraud?

No I am not thinking that. Justice should be done if fraud is proved but if fraud was committed then it looks like it wasn't on a huge scale and would have hardly any effect on the election result at all. Regardless if fraud was committed or not, the Conservatives would have won those seats because the effect is so small.
Reply 31
Original post by ashy14
No I am not thinking that. Justice should be done if fraud is proved but if fraud was committed then it looks like it wasn't on a huge scale and would have hardly any effect on the election result at all. Regardless if fraud was committed or not, the Conservatives would have won those seats because the effect is so small.

Hmm, why do political parties bother spending any money if it has little or no effect?
Original post by hovado
Hmm, why do political parties bother spending any money if it has little or no effect?

It has no effect on those small a scales. I think policies and leadership probably has the most effect in elections but obviously and naturally many people don't want to admit that whatever party they support, their leadership and policies failed to be widely approved by the public.
Reply 33

Why do I still hate Labour more? And I'm not even a Tory voter
Reply 34
Original post by ashy14
It has no effect on those small a scales.

Whys that? Surely the effect is far greater if it's directed at marginals?
Original post by ashy14

Original post by hovado

It has no effect on those small a scales. I think policies and leadership probably has the most effect in elections but obviously and naturally many people don't want to admit that whatever party they support, their leadership and policies failed to be widely approved by the public.

Smooth side stepping brah.
Original post by hovado
Whys that? Surely the effect is far greater if it's directed at marginals?

In this case the money was used for campaign bus visits, I seriously doubt a bus swung a seat, you could achieve the same result in a car or by walking and knocking on doors.
Reply 37
Original post by ashy14
In this case the money was used for campaign bus visits, I seriously doubt a bus swung a seat, you could achieve the same result in a car or by walking and knocking on doors.

So why bother with campaign buses?
Original post by Reue
So not completely silent then, which is the post I replied to.
Why's that funny? If it is malicious fraud then there is no defence.

Fair enough, not completely silent. But lack of mentioning something as big as accusations of fraud on their television network, or even the BBC/news/politics homepage is pretty bloody silent.
Original post by hovado
So why bother with campaign buses?

They are an easy way to get around and stand out. David Cameron could have got the same result in a Renault Clio with "I am David Cameron" painted on the side, he could have easily achieved the same thing without a bus too as could the other MPs in their constituencies. Also I won't insult the public's intelligence by thinking that their mind was made up by a bus. I like to think the public care about policy and leadership.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending