The Student Room Group

Did anyone take AS CIE Chemistry exam today?

Just wanted to discuss anything people thought about the paper for CIE AS Chemistry exam that we took today - any thoughts?

Only because of the people who took it at my school, we thought it was a bit weird with the structure changing and all.

Many thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosieOof
Just wanted to discuss anything people thought about the paper for CIE AS Chemistry exam that we took today - any thoughts?

Only because of the people who took it at my school, we thought it was a bit weird with the structure changing and all.

how did u find it?
Reply 2
Weird! They changed the structure of the first question and I didn't really know how to answer the infra-red question because they've never put it in a paper before... organic was ok though?
Hey guuys did u take the second variant exam (9701/22)? It was a little weird for me too, not bad but not as great as i thought it would be.

anyone up for matching any answers?
var 21, not bad just screwed up on too many ocassions.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
var 21, not bad just screwed up on too many ocassions.

Got hept-2-ene as V, horrible.
Reply 6
For the paper 21, question 1, the part where you had to draw the paths of a proton and a neutron in an electric field, did you draw the proton deflected upwards? I did that, but also thought that due to the the mass of the proton being nearly 2000 times the mass of the electron, its deflection could be too small to be seen. What did you put?
Also, on question 2, for the reactions of the period 4 compound, did you use the letter they gave in the question or the actual symbol of each element?
Reply 7
Got hept-2-ene as V, horrible.

Was that in the last part of the last question?
Reply 8
Original post by olmomiau
For the paper 21, question 1, the part where you had to draw the paths of a proton and a neutron in an electric field, did you draw the proton deflected upwards? I did that, but also thought that due to the the mass of the proton being nearly 2000 times the mass of the electron, its deflection could be too small to be seen. What did you put?
Also, on question 2, for the reactions of the period 4 compound, did you use the letter they gave in the question or the actual symbol of each element?

I wrote do2 but all my friends wrote the symbol :/
Reply 9
Original post by ZK123
I wrote do2 but all my friends wrote the symbol :/

I think they will probably accept both (letter or actual symbol) as they didn't make it clear as to which you should use.
is there anyone sitting the variant 22?
Was that in the last part of the last question?
YEah. Also for the electric field i cocked that up. Drew the proton beam towards the plate i.e touching the plate. Did any one get the period 4 elements as germanium and gallium?
Original post by RosieOof

Format was really absurd, it was like i was doing and inorganic + organic chemistry exam. The amount of physical chemistry tested was minimal. For the IR spectroscopy i think they wanted us to identify that propanoic acid has a C=O bond but W does not.
YEah. Also for the electric field i cocked that up. Drew the proton beam towards the plate i.e touching the plate. Did any one get the period 4 elements as germanium and gallium?

I got gallium and selenium
I sat for variant 22.
For the MgO acid question what did people write. I wrote that it would react to form a salt hence using up the MgO but seems there is more to it?What do you think?
Reply 16
I think they will probably accept both (letter or actual symbol) as they didn't make it clear as to which you should use.

In which country are u all taking the exam in?
Reply 17
For the MgO acid question what did people write. I wrote that it would react to form a salt hence using up the MgO but seems there is more to it?What do you think?

I think we had to write the observations not the product. I wrote vigorous reaction , effervescence and sparingly soluble solution. Don't know if it's right
Original post by ZK123
In which country are u all taking the exam in?

Spain
I got gallium and selenium

Oh shoot. I just lost another mark. How did you arrive at selenium if i could ask?

Quick Reply