The Student Room Group

Should european women dress modestly to accommodate other cultures?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
But this thread is about whether women in Europe should "dress modestly" to accomodate other cutures and reduce the risk of sexual assault, not "would it be sensible to walk the streets of Saudi Arabia half naked".

That is interesting as a thought experiment, though.

Of course we would conform to their culture and be respectful of their custom. Unfortunately they do not extend the same courtesy when they come to live here.

As for walking half naked in Saudi Arabia, anyone who is personally familiar with the Arab world knows what the consequences would be for a woman who did that. The "best" outcome would be that she would be fairly quickly pulled off the streets by a mob and gang raped. The worst is that she would be killed.

And looking at the converse situation is also quite instructive. Women can and do walk around half naked in England; not frequently, but it occurs (the Femen protesters, etc). Also this occurs at nudist beaches. Women who do this will generally be quite safe, context dependent of course. And at the opposite end of the spectrum, a woman wearing a full burqa will equally be safe on the streets of England.

What do these contrasting scenarios say about those two societies? My conclusion is that it's very strange indeed for Arab society to pride itself on its hospitality and to obsess over notions of honour when in fact anyone who thinks or dresses or acts differently will quickly find themselves under intense (sometimes violent) pressure to conform. Looking at those two societies, I know which one is more honourable and hospitable.
Original post by QE2
Ah, so you are saying that a woman wearing a short skirt and tight top is responsible for being raped in the same way that a person who leaves their Christams lights on 24/7 is responsible if the tree catches fire.

So you are blaming the victim.

I must have missed the public safety ads advising women not to wear revealing clothes. Were they on at the same time as the ones telling people not to leave their Xmas lights on, or smoke in bed, or fly a kite near elecricity pylons?

If you're going to twist everything I say to try to make me look like a big nasty woman-hater, I'm not going to have a discussion with you. Grow up.

Original post by Thutmose-III
The real KKK doesn't even exist anymore. If you have to reach back to the 1930s and the 1870s to attempt to justify a position that Christian terrorism is just as relevant as Islamic terrorism, then you've sort-of just shot yourself in the foot.

Well, this is a blatant lie. The KKK absolutely does still exist. In 1997, several Klan members were arrested for conspiring to blow up a natural gas processing plant.

Not that it's really relevant when they were active. You pretend that terrorism is an Islamic problem and then shrug off the many examples of Christian terrorism.

I'm sorry to say that comment simply demonstrates you don't know very much about the Troubles. The religious disposition of the two communities was a matter of distinction, but it wasn't a true matter of dispute between them; the IRA and UVF weren't bombing and killing to further an argument about transubstantiation or the authority of the papacy. Their dispute was based on economic, social and nationalistic concerns.

In any case, I'm not a Christian so why should I care if it's shown to be a malign influence? There's no doubt it is; it's just that it's so far from being on the same level as Islam in terms of malignancy that it's an insult to intelligence to speak of them in the same breath.

You miss the point that it's not a problem with Islam. Every religion has been used to justify extremism.

What I see is a smattering of violent acts in the United States, a list which has to reach back to the early 80s to make ten. And a good number of them aren't even terrorist acts but mass killings by mentally ill individuals.

Right. If a Christian commits a terrorist act they're a "mentally ill individual". If a Muslim commits a terrorist act they're a "terrorist".

I'm sorry to say that your teachers failed you if you think what you just posted amounts to a serious argument.

Thanks. You're stupid too.

But here I will open the door and give you an opportunity to demonstrate your point; show me three Christian terrorist attacks in 2015 that were as deadly, co-ordinated and ideologically/religiously motivated as the Charlie Hebdo, Tunisia Beach Massacre and November Paris attacks were.

If, as you are so earnestly telling us, that Christian terrorist attacks are comparable to Islamic terror and simply not being reported, you shouldn't have any difficulty finding three Christian terror attacks that match the wave of Islamic terror we saw last year.

I don't know of any. 2015 is one year. I could pick a year in history with lots of Christian terrorist attacks and no Muslim ones but I won't bother, because it's a ludicrous argument to make.
Original post by JordanL_
I
Not that it's really relevant when they were active. You pretend that terrorism is an Islamic problem and then shrug off the many examples of Christian terrorism.

Are you really unable to distinguish between acts of terrorism perpetrated by people for political reasons (the Kurds, who are Moslems, or the IRA who were Christians, for example) and terrorist acts perpetrated by the likes of Boko Haram, Al-Qaeda and IS in the name of Islam? The latter are examples of genuine religious terrorism; the former are not.
Today i learned there is a wave of christian terrorism happening around the world which every single news source, police and medics, witnesses and victims or family is complicit in covering up and not reporting to make Muslims feel bad
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Today i learned there is a wave of christian terrorism happening around the world which every single news source, police and medics, witnesses and victims or family is complicit in covering up and not reporting to make Muslims feel bad

Aaaand this is irrelevant to the thread about how western women are to dress according to Muslim standard...
Original post by 0to100
Aaaand this is irrelevant to the thread about how western women are to dress according to Muslim standard...

I learnedid it in dis very fred
Original post by QE2
But this thread is about whether women in Europe should "dress modestly" to accomodate other cutures and reduce the risk of sexual assault, not "would it be sensible to walk the streets of Saudi Arabia half naked".

Exactly! Now please direct your ire at the person who started that discussion, it was not me I was only responding!
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I learnedid it in dis very fred

Finally you're talking like yourself since pretending to be smart was clearly becoming too taxing for you, whew
Original post by 0to100
Finally you're talking like yourself since pretending to be smart was clearly becoming too taxing for you, whew

Bet you're relieved :wink:
Reply 189
Has any of you even been to Saudi Arabia or any other 'Muslim country'?
"Raped by horny Muslim men" AHHAHA, are y'all really so dumb or did watching Fox news all day brainwash you? Western countries have a higher rate of assault and rape.
Getting raped in Saudi Arabia is a rare instance, one that guarantees punishment when reported.
As for your 'liberal' countries, there's a greater chance of rapists getting a small life-sentence and then being released to prowl the streets again.
And what. the. fu** is wrong with you Muslim refugee-haters? Do you really think that a man whose wife and children died, one who has no house and had to leave behind all his family, all of his life's savings, will be interested in even LOOKING at your women, much less raping them?I'm glad I wasn't bred like most of you. If you want to hate on someone, hate on yourself. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by msmeme

I have heard that women in Syria dress just like women in the UK
Why is this even a question?

Of course they should
How about the migrants accommodate European culture and accept that women can dress in a manner of their own choosing? It's the least the migrants could do to show some gratitude and respect to their hosts.

It's pathetic how some Europeans are pandering to these people. Get some self respect.
Reply 193
Original post by KaminiZindagi
I have heard that women in Syria dress just like women in the UK

Funny, are you proud of yourself for that one?
Lol, my point wasn't about how they dress, it was about how the rape rate is low.
Original post by msmeme
Lol, my point wasn't about how they dress, it was about how the rape rate is low.

Are you kidding? Rape is one of the most common crimes in Egypt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Egypt

Why have you made a new dupe just to make this intervention?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by msmeme

rude

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Original post by Good bloke
Are you kidding? Rape is one of the most common crimes in Egypt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Egypt

Why have you made a new dupe just to make this intervention?

Don't really have to answer to you but I made an account just because all the hate on refugees was unreal. (Didn't have one previously) :smile:
And if you misread my first post, I was talking about Saudi Arabia, because that's where people assume ladies get raped most.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I shall take leave while you continue your debate with others.
Have a good day.
Original post by Mona-S
Biology in university. Still have some topics I didn't start. :cry:
What exam do you have?

Oh no, hope you still have enough time before the exam.

Systems analysis and design.
I study computer science in university. :smile:
Original post by msmeme
I was talking about Saudi Arabia

Well, no. You said:

With the clear implication that all Moslem countries have a low incidence of rape and sexual assault. That is a false assumption.
Original post by msmeme
"Raped by horny Muslim men" AHHAHA, are y'all really so dumb or did watching Fox news all day brainwash you? Western countries have a higher rate of assault and rape.
Getting raped in Saudi Arabia is a rare instance, one that guarantees punishment when reported.
As for your 'liberal' countries, there's a greater chance of rapists getting a small life-sentence and then being released to prowl the streets again.
And what. the. fu** is wrong with you Muslim refugee-haters? Do you really think that a man whose wife and children died, one who has no house and had to leave behind all his family, all of his life's savings, will be interested in even LOOKING at your women, much less raping them?I'm glad I wasn't bred like most of you. If you want to hate on someone, hate on yourself. :smile:

How likely do you think a woman in Saudi Arabia is going to report a rape? How early are they married off and raped by their husbands?

You come in here and laugh at us with your arrogance calling us stupid. That fact, together with your utterly ridiculous post, is so ****ing ironic, it made my day. Much like laughing at idiots on home videos, I do take a macabre enjoyment out of reading such foolish posts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending