The Student Room Group

How do I become a vet?

I'm planning on studying Level 3 Animal Management, and I know I can use this to get into Veterinary Nursing. However do I need actual A levels to become a vet?
Original post by paigerichardson
I'm planning on studying Level 3 Animal Management, and I know I can use this to get into Veterinary Nursing. However do I need actual A levels to become a vet?

Nottingham:

You would only be eligible for the 6 year course (including preliminary year) and you would need DDD in BTEC national diploma in animal management, along with the required 5 grade A at GCSE, with a minimum of B in English, maths and chemistry (or double science)

Liverpool:
Level 3 extended diploma in animal management with DDD overall plus AS level grade B in chemistry

Edinburgh:
You need A levels, they don't accept the national diploma

Surrey:
D*DD in extended diploma and A-level chemistry at grade A

Cambridge:
Only accept A levels

Bristol:
DDD in national diploma in animal science/management with chemistry grade A or B at A2 level

Glasgow:
Again, only accept A levels

RVC:
BTEC national diploma in animal management DDD overall

Without A levels/As levels you are limited to purely the 6 year degree at Nottingham, for which there are a limited number of places on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
Nottingham:

You would only be eligible for the 6 year course (including preliminary year) and you would need DDD in BTEC national diploma in animal management, along with the required 5 grade A at GCSE, with a minimum of B in English, maths and chemistry (or double science)

Liverpool:
Level 3 extended diploma in animal management with DDD overall plus AS level grade B in chemistry

Edinburgh:
You need A levels, they don't accept the national diploma

Surrey:
D*DD in extended diploma and A-level chemistry at grade A

Cambridge:
Only accept A levels

Bristol:
DDD in national diploma in animal science/management with chemistry grade A or B at A2 level

Glasgow:
Again, only accept A levels

RVC:
BTEC national diploma in animal management DDD overall

Without A levels/As levels you are limited to purely the 6 year degree at Nottingham, for which there are a limited number of places on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
\

Thanks for your reply. I guess that when I do apply for universities I'll apply for Nottingham, and then just apply for veterinary nursing for other universities. However I have read that because I'm doing the 6 year degree, I will be unable to get funding for the 2nd year. Is that correct?
\

Thanks for your reply. I guess that when I do apply for universities I'll apply for Nottingham, and then just apply for veterinary nursing for other universities. However I have read that because I'm doing the 6 year degree, I will be unable to get funding for the 2nd year. Is that correct?

If it's your first degree then you will get funding off student finance for the full 6 years. I've never heard of them not paying out for it.
Make sure you also meet the relevant work experience requirements. There's a big difference in being a veterinary nurse compared to being a veterinary surgeon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's your first degree then you will get funding off student finance for the full 6 years. I've never heard of them not paying out for it.
Make sure you also meet the relevant work experience requirements. There's a big difference in being a veterinary nurse compared to being a veterinary surgeon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the beginning I wanted to do veterinary nursing, and so I know that I can get in a few universities with Animal Management
However I was talking to someone who said to me that I will probably be able to do a veterinary surgeon degree, however I may not do this as I don't want to do A levels as I am in my first year and I am struggling

I did ask if I can do work experience in my local vet however they said I am not 18, so I can't do it for insurance purposes. I am planning on going to RSPCA to find out, however if I can't get any what do you suggest I do?
In the beginning I wanted to do veterinary nursing, and so I know that I can get in a few universities with Animal Management
However I was talking to someone who said to me that I will probably be able to do a veterinary surgeon degree, however I may not do this as I don't want to do A levels as I am in my first year and I am struggling

I did ask if I can do work experience in my local vet however they said I am not 18, so I can't do it for insurance purposes. I am planning on going to RSPCA to find out, however if I can't get any what do you suggest I do?

Are you in your first year of A levels or the diploma?
For all the vet schools they ask that you have some experience working within a veterinary practice, also on farms as well. When would you be looking at applying? You would also need some work experience for the nursing degree, Nottingham Trent for example require applicants to have at least 2 weeks within a veterinary practice which has been completed within 18 months prior to applying.
The RSPCA are unlikely to take you on for work experience due to insurance reasons. A lot of vet practices (small animal) will take on under 18's, you just have to ask around - if none took students we wouldn't have any students accepted into vet school or onto vet nursing degrees. Most applicants to vet school have at least 2 weeks work experience within a veterinary practice, alongside placements on farms such as lambing, dairy, beef or pigs.
Where in the UK are you?

Work experience wise try kennels/catteries, go into as many small animal practices and ask in person if you can do some work experience, tell them why you want to do the work experience, you need to get out and do this in person, rather than just ringing up or writing a letter. When I worked as a vet nurse I preferred work experience students to come in and ask, rather than contact via phone/letter or email (I arranged all our placements for the practice). For farm placements if you do wish to do veterinary, Google local farms and visit them, ask if you can help out in mornings/evenings. You need to be willing to work hard, and be enthusiastic about it.
Both veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine are challenging careers which require a lot of dedication, to get on to either course you need to show that you know what's involved and show that you've experienced life within a practice.

If you work at it, you'll get the experience but you've got to put the effort in to get the placements to get there - don't worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you in your first year of A levels or the diploma?
For all the vet schools they ask that you have some experience working within a veterinary practice, also on farms as well. When would you be looking at applying? You would also need some work experience for the nursing degree, Nottingham Trent for example require applicants to have at least 2 weeks within a veterinary practice which has been completed within 18 months prior to applying.
The RSPCA are unlikely to take you on for work experience due to insurance reasons. A lot of vet practices (small animal) will take on under 18's, you just have to ask around - if none took students we wouldn't have any students accepted into vet school or onto vet nursing degrees. Most applicants to vet school have at least 2 weeks work experience within a veterinary practice, alongside placements on farms such as lambing, dairy, beef or pigs.
Where in the UK are you?

Work experience wise try kennels/catteries, go into as many small animal practices and ask in person if you can do some work experience, tell them why you want to do the work experience, you need to get out and do this in person, rather than just ringing up or writing a letter. When I worked as a vet nurse I preferred work experience students to come in and ask, rather than contact via phone/letter or email (I arranged all our placements for the practice). For farm placements if you do wish to do veterinary, Google local farms and visit them, ask if you can help out in mornings/evenings. You need to be willing to work hard, and be enthusiastic about it.
Both veterinary nursing and veterinary medicine are challenging careers which require a lot of dedication, to get on to either course you need to show that you know what's involved and show that you've experienced life within a practice.

If you work at it, you'll get the experience but you've got to put the effort in to get the placements to get there - don't worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the first year of doing A-levels and I'm doing Chemistry, Maths and BTEC Applied Science. I live in Yorkshire. I will be applying for university in 2018 (I think)

What would happen if I am unable to get work experience? Even if I go in person I get the feeling that I wont be able to get the experience required to get on to the course
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm in the first year of doing A-levels and I'm doing Chemistry, Maths and BTEC Applied Science. I live in Yorkshire. I will be applying for university in 2018 (I think)

What would happen if I am unable to get work experience? Even if I go in person I get the feeling that I wont be able to get the experience required to get on to the course

If you're unable to get work experience, you simply won't get on to either course. There's no such thing as not being able to get work experience, and the universities will say this to you. If you want it enough, you'll go out and get it. These are not courses that just fall on your lap, you have to work hard to get in, therefore if you're looking for an easy option, you are wiser looking into other career choices/other routes.

The only other route into veterinary nursing available if you do not wish to go to university is to find a training practice and train whilst working as a nurse, but you still have to find a practice willing to take you on for this, and they also usually expect you to have done some work experience with them prior, after all, I wouldn't want to pay to put someone through a course if I didn't know if they were dedicated or not.

Have a think about what you really want to do. Currently with the mindset you have, veterinary wouldn't be an option and nursing would be difficult unless you manage to get the work experience required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I also add, the BTEC national diploma in animal management is not an easier alternative to A levels. To get DDD you have to put a lot of effort in, just as you would to get three A's at A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I also add, the BTEC national diploma in animal management is not an easier alternative to A levels. To get DDD you have to put a lot of effort in, just as you would to get three A's at A level

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know I would be committed to doing the BTEC as it is something I would enjoy rather than learning things, revising it, and then doing an exam - I learn more by doing things practically and I've been told by the college I'm planning on going to that some of it is practical work

For the work experience, yes I am going to go and find work experience. However I just want to know what would happen if I could find no work experience whats so ever, however I guess I'll just have to keep trying
Reply 10
i know I would be committed to doing the BTEC as it is something I would enjoy rather than learning things, revising it, and then doing an exam - I learn more by doing things practically and I've been told by the college I'm planning on going to that some of it is practical work

For the work experience, yes I am going to go and find work experience. However I just want to know what would happen if I could find no work experience whats so ever, however I guess I'll just have to keep trying

Hi, I studied the Extended Diploma Animal Management and came out with DDM. I am now going to do A levels as it appears to be the best option for most veterinary schools after speaking with admissions and other students.Although the BTEC does have a practical side to it, there are a lot of modules which you need to be willing to go ahead and do extra research for. For example you have a module on Biochemistry and Microbiology, which involves a lot of lab work, but you also have to write up your thesis, experiments and work out the predictions etc - this all involves some extra chemistry work to get a D in. You do get a chance to re-take modules to get a higher grade - but at my college this was limited to a certain number or re-attempts, also bare in mind you will have several other modules to do work for alongside retaking anything. It is supposed to be the same level as A levels so I would not say it will be any easier realistically. To complete the BTEC there are around 6 weeks of work experience you have to complete, which the college may or may not help with - I was lucky that the college I went to had its own farm and animal unit, so we could help out with lambing and animal technician duties. If you want to get onto either Veterinary Nursing or Veterinary medicine, you have to get veterinary practice experience - regardless of the BTEC (which doesn't require veterinary work experience to complete, just animal husbandry).
For the veterinary medicine course you have no choice but to sit exams, as the course is 100% exam based. Veterinary nursing also is not without its exams.
I did the BTEC, I got DDD in it, which is why I am now a vet student but it wasn't easy, and I had to put the work in to get the grades required. For all the vet med courses which accept the BTEC you have to have DDD, with the relevant a levels unfortunately.

You'll get the work experience if you actively go out and look for it, but the universities will not accept you telling them you couldn't get it, because unfortunately people do get placements, and some people travel to different parts of the country away from their home towns in order to do it sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
For the veterinary medicine course you have no choice but to sit exams, as the course is 100% exam based. Veterinary nursing also is not without its exams.
I did the BTEC, I got DDD in it, which is why I am now a vet student but it wasn't easy, and I had to put the work in to get the grades required. For all the vet med courses which accept the BTEC you have to have DDD, with the relevant a levels unfortunately.

You'll get the work experience if you actively go out and look for it, but the universities will not accept you telling them you couldn't get it, because unfortunately people do get placements, and some people travel to different parts of the country away from their home towns in order to do it sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is why I am doing A levels now, I considered the Access to HE but as A levels are more exam based I feel it will prepare me more :smile:
Original post by N.Julia
This is why I am doing A levels now, I considered the Access to HE but as A levels are more exam based I feel it will prepare me more :smile:

Yeah you get quite a shock going from doing a course without exams where you rely on coursework and practical work to do well to having no choice but to get 50% or above in order to pass an exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending