The Student Room Group

How much revision?

I was just wondering how much revision everybody is doing per day, for a guideline I suppose.

I personally aim to complete at least 3 hours of work every school night, and 5-6 on non-school days. Stress means I'm often having bad days, recently at least. I began revising quite excessively from September, doing up to 8 hours per day, and am only now beginning to experience the 'burn out' effect ever so slightly; so I've begun to cut down, though do worry about doing too little work so close to the remainder of my exams.

Wow, I've just wasted about 3 minutes of your life - I'm very sorry for that but would really appreciate your input! 😊
Reply 1
Original post by kaffers
I was just wondering how much revision everybody is doing per day, for a guideline I suppose.

I personally aim to complete at least 3 hours of work every school night, and 5-6 on non-school days. Stress means I'm often having bad days, recently at least. I began revising quite excessively from September, doing up to 8 hours per day, and am only now beginning to experience the 'burn out' effect ever so slightly; so I've begun to cut down, though do worry about doing too little work so close to the remainder of my exams.

Wow, I've just wasted about 3 minutes of your life - I'm very sorry for that but would really appreciate your input! 😊

On school nights i'm doing 2 or 3 twenty minute sessions with 10 minute breaks in between. Don't work too hard during the weekdays as you'll tire yourself out and won't work as effectively as you could. You could always add another twenty minutes depending on how close the exams are but don't stress yourself out over it.

20 minutes and 10 off works well as the brain likes to loose concentration after 20 minutes so you could use this technique during the weekend as well. If not do a maximum of 40 minutes and make sure you have a break. Id suggest doing 4 or 5 hours, maybe less or more depending on how tired you are ( don't waste time revising when none of it will go in, instead rest up so you can revise better later )

Good luck with your exams!
Reply 2
Original post by A_ox
On school nights i'm doing 2 or 3 twenty minute sessions with 10 minute breaks in between. Don't work too hard during the weekdays as you'll tire yourself out and won't work as effectively as you could. You could always add another twenty minutes depending on how close the exams are but don't stress yourself out over it.

20 minutes and 10 off works well as the brain likes to loose concentration after 20 minutes so you could use this technique during the weekend as well. If not do a maximum of 40 minutes and make sure you have a break. Id suggest doing 4 or 5 hours, maybe less or more depending on how tired you are ( don't waste time revising when none of it will go in, instead rest up so you can revise better later )

Good luck with your exams!

Thank you so much! That sounds very effective and productive - I've found my own brain to wander after about forty minutes or so.

Quick Reply

Latest