The Student Room Group

Official IB Exams Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gererdius
Oh! Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggled with the exams. It seemed this year biology papers were quite tougher than past ones. Really hoping Paper 3 to save me tomorrow!

don't worry, you're not the only one!! most people have talked to who do SL found it very challenging ! yeah they were, probably smth to do with the new syllabus :frown:( hopefully that means low grade boundaries though! yeah me too haha, what option r u doing? :smile:
Original post by sophieec
don't worry, you're not the only one!! most people have talked to who do SL found it very challenging ! yeah they were, probably smth to do with the new syllabus :frown:( hopefully that means low grade boundaries though! yeah me too haha, what option r u doing? :smile:

Option B - Biotechnology and Bioinformatics. Not a big deal! What about u?
Option B - Biotechnology and Bioinformatics. Not a big deal! What about u?

Ecology and conservation,so it isn't too bad either! just hope the questions are answerable hahah
could be a very last minute Q but does biology paper 3 have questions on specific set practicals? or would that have just been on paper 2?
Original post by tavia12345
could be a very last minute Q but does biology paper 3 have questions on specific set practicals? or would that have just been on paper 2?

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/server2/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_biolo_gui_1402_1_e&part=9&chapter=4 this outlines the requirements for all the papers and the 2016 syllabus! :smile:
https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/server2/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_biolo_gui_1402_1_e&part=9&chapter=4 this outlines the requirements for all the papers and the 2016 syllabus! :smile:

ah thank you ! :smile:
Am I the only one that liked Biology HL paper 1:s-smilie:
I must have definitely screwed up if everyone else found it hard haha
Original post by thecsstudent
wait were you TZ1 or TZ2?

TZ2
Original post by silverdolphin
I found Paper 1 easier than Paper 2 but both were okay overall! I did manage to get down some real life examples but I don't think there was enough tbh :s-smilie:

lol real life examples? i just try evaluating the fudge out of them, especially with macro and deflation - gotta in all that export competitiveness, types of unemployment associated with it, long run short run... hope i got a 6 hahaha i am never good at remembering the real life scenarios that our teachers tells us
Original post by GeekForLife

my friends who did HL found it ok! it seems to be SL that found it hard- that's what I've noticed atm anyway :smile:)
Original post by yungiq
i did the same questions! i thought 1b was kinda awkward to write about, but i mentioned positive con. externalities for it. and macro 3b was also mehh :s-smilie: macro a) was my jam 😎😂

🌿yungiq🌿

i thought the micro q was so limited.... i was going to write about positive externalities but i didn't know if it was correct to say that about museums... i really don't know how it went lol but macro was my jam too! deflation was da bomb.com like really (b) was great too bc you just spoke about opposite effects of inflation... Paper 2 was meh i misunderstood one of the 4 mark questions fml lol but i did q1 and 4 - tariffs and the one on gini coeff/lorenz curve. i thought the evaluation q's were soooo good there was so much to say!
Can anyone remember the wording for the English HL Paper 2 Drama question 1?
Original post by LynnLynn
Can anyone remember the wording for the English HL Paper 2 Drama question 1?

I can't remember the exact order of the words, but it definitely sounded something like:
Sometimes the words and deeds of a character contradict one another. Compare to what extent and with what effect this correspondence or contradiction is used by at least two playwrights you have studied.

I am 100% sure the words contradiction, correspondence and words and deeds were present in the question as well as the request to determine the extent and the effect of the technique.
Reply 133
Original post by GeekForLife

I found most of the questions great but there were a few that were worded weirdly so seemed quite ambiguous? or is that just me
Oh! Glad to know I'm not the only one who struggled with the exams. It seemed this year biology papers were quite tougher than past ones. Really hoping Paper 3 to save me tomorrow!

Hopefully that means grade boundaries will be low! I found them difficult as well.
Original post by martaganger
I can't remember the exact order of the words, but it definitely sounded something like:
Sometimes the words and deeds of a character contradict one another. Compare to what extent and with what effect this correspondence or contradiction is used by at least two playwrights you have studied.

I am 100% sure the words contradiction, correspondence and words and deeds were present in the question as well as the request to determine the extent and the effect of the technique.

Do you remember also question 3?
Original post by Alex Black

question 3 was something like:

'what techniques and to what effects do playwrights make the audience aware that they are watching a play?'
Original post by Alex Black

ugh not precisely, I remember 1 because it's the one I answered. Paraphrased it was something like "Some plays imitate reality and try to make the action as realistic as possible, others do not. Discuss how playwrights remind the audience that they are watching a play." So you could talk about props, lights, sound effects, presence of a narrator and such.
question 3 was something like:

'what techniques and to what effects do playwrights make the audience aware that they are watching a play?'

^ that sounds right
So how did you guys find the english a paper 2 questions? I thought they were fairly hard - they did not connect much to the plays we studied. Plus I am so upset about question 2 because we did 1 comedy and 2 "tragedies" therefore the second question was automatically not an option. I don't think the ib should include genre-specific questions, it limits the selection a lot :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending