The Student Room Group

Should european women dress modestly to accommodate other cultures?

Scroll to see replies

muslim men should be forced to wear muzzles
Original post by JordanL_

Well, this is a blatant lie. The KKK absolutely does still exist. In 1997, several Klan members were arrested for conspiring to blow up a natural gas processing plant.

You might be a little confused. The people who were arrested were members of the "True Knights of the Ku Klux Klan", an organisation styling itself as a Klan but not the KKK. That's because the KKK as a substantive, unitary mass movement has not existed since the 1940s.

Not that it's really relevant when they were active.

Of course it is. You are claiming that Christian terrorism is just as much of a problem as Islamic terrorism. If the basis for your claim is an organisation that ceased to exist as a real force 70 years ago then it would seem to be quite a shaky position.

You pretend that terrorism is an Islamic problem

I've never said terrorism is "an Islamic problem". There are numerous non-Islamic terrorist groups. But none of them are a major threat to the West at present, nor have they carried out any large-scale attacks in the West in the recent past. For all intents and purposes, Islamic terrorism is the only terrorist threat that is a significant threat and capable of mounting deadly attacks (and has done so regularly in the very recent past).

and then shrug off the many examples of Christian terrorism.

What do you mean "many examples"? I asked you for three and you sulked and slunk away from the challenge. I'll make it easier for you; perhaps you can identify any attacks by Christian terrorist organisations in Western Europe in the last 20 years?

Only someone completely beholden to a dishonest agenda would deny the indisputable fact that no other forms of terrorism even come close to Islamic terrorism in terms of the threat posed to the West and the number of civilians killed.

You miss the point that it's not a problem with Islam. Every religion has been used to justify extremism.

Indeed. Every religion has been used to justify extremism. But Christianity isn't being used to justify any violent extremist movements that pose a threat to the West at present.

Right. If a Christian commits a terrorist act they're a "mentally ill individual". If a Muslim commits a terrorist act they're a "terrorist".

No. If a Muslim commits a terrorist act as part of a planned and directed attack, linked to a terrorist organisation, motivated by politico-religious ideology then he's a terrorist. If a lone nut Christian who has no links to any other organisations, no plan, no ideology except pure bigotry walks into an African-American church and opens fire, then he's a "mentally ill individual". The distinction is quite simple.

Can you name any Christian terrorist organisations that pose a threat to the West at present? Are there any Christian movements comparable to Al-Qaeda and ISIL? Surely if Christian terrorism is as ubiquitous as you claim, you can name at least one.

Thanks. You're stupid too.

We might have to leave this conversation there if you're going to become emotional and abusive. In any case, it's rather unseemly to throw a tantrum simply because you're badly losing a debate

I don't know of any. 2015 is one year. I could pick a year in history with lots of Christian terrorist attacks and no Muslim ones but I won't bother, because it's a ludicrous argument to make.

You say it's ludicrous because you know it's devastating to your position. You say you could pick a year in history; if you can pick a year in recent history, where there were "lots of Christian terrorist attacks", feel free to point it out to me. Are there any such years in the last thirty? :smile:
Reply 202
Original post by RomanKing
Oh no, hope you still have enough time before the exam.

Systems analysis and design.
I study computer science in university. :smile:

Good luck in your exam!! :smile:
Original post by msmeme
Has any of you even been to Saudi Arabia or any other 'Muslim country'?
"Raped by horny Muslim men" AHHAHA, are y'all really so dumb or did watching Fox news all day brainwash you? Western countries have a higher rate of assault and rape.
Getting raped in Saudi Arabia is a rare instance, one that guarantees punishment when reported.
As for your 'liberal' countries, there's a greater chance of rapists getting a small life-sentence and then being released to prowl the streets again.
And what. the. fu** is wrong with you Muslim refugee-haters? Do you really think that a man whose wife and children died, one who has no house and had to leave behind all his family, all of his life's savings, will be interested in even LOOKING at your women, much less raping them?I'm glad I wasn't bred like most of you. If you want to hate on someone, hate on yourself. :smile:

Stating opinions not facts sweetheart. In the Middle East, if a girl is raped, everyone blames it on her. Before you try and protect Saudi, do your actual research on it.

And you say getting raped is a rare thing, do you know the sex life of every Saudi Arabian wife and can confirm she wasn't raped to say that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah, blatant racists trying to hide their derogatory view of refugees under the names of "feminism" and "equality for women". Not unlike TSR at all
Original post by tanyapotter
Ah, blatant racists trying to hide their derogatory view of refugees under the names of "feminism" and "equality for women". Not unlike TSR at all

Since when are Muslims a single race?

Please, my humble apologies ma'am. Forgive us for caring about women. It was not in our place
Reply 207
Original post by JordanL_
If you're going to twist everything I say to try to make me look like a big nasty woman-hater, I'm not going to have a discussion with you. Grow up.
With all due respect, you used an analogy to explain your position on women's responsibility.
I merely showed how fallacious that analogy was.
I'm not saying that you are a woman hater, just that your analogy still leaves the rape victim being blamed for being raped because of the way she was dressed.

Not that it's really relevant when they were active. You pretend that terrorism is an Islamic problem and then shrug off the many examples of Christian terrorism.
Islamist terrorism is an Islamic problem, by definition. It would be kinda odd to claim that it wasn't!

Terrorism justified by another ideology is the problem and responsibility of that ideology. Again, to claim otherwise would be futile.

Right. If a Christian commits a terrorist act they're a "mentally ill individual". If a Muslim commits a terrorist act they're a "terrorist".
If a Christian commits a terrorist attack and includes Christian ideology as justification, then it is definitely Christian terrorism.
If a Christian commits a mass-murder but does not mention anything to do with Christianity when explaining his motives, then he is a mass-murderer - and very possibly mentally ill.
BTW, terrorists can be mentally ill - in fact, considering some of the stuff some of them do, some of them must be.

However, I'm sure that there is a bias in some elements of the Christian Right media to play down any religious responsibility. Just as elements of the liberal left media try to play down the Islamic element (as do most Muslims). It's only natural.
Original post by brainhuman
Since when are Muslims a single race?

since when are all refugees muslim?

Since when are all migrants refugees?
Original post by Good bloke
Since when are all migrants refugees?

nowhere in the OP has the word migrant been mentioned. refugee, on the other hand, has.
Original post by chemting
Please, my humble apologies ma'am. Forgive us for caring about women. It was not in our place

are you a feminist?

What a useless reply. No one ever said that.
What a useless reply. No one ever said that.

your reply was useless. you assumed that i am talking about muslims (which only serves to perpetrate islamophobia even moreso), but i was talking about the negative view people have on refugees, as is clearly shown in the OP. read
are you a feminist?

depends on what do you mean.
Original post by QE2
Do you think that the way a woman dresses makes her, in any way at all, responsible if she suffers any kind of sexual assault? Yes or no.

The fact that you (and others) will either obfuscate or completely avoid answering is part of the reason why these threads keep popping up.

NO!!!!!!! One million times no, she is never responsible. Ever
your reply was useless. you assumed that i am talking about muslims (which only serves to perpetrate islamophobia even moreso), but i was talking about the negative view people have on refugees, as is clearly shown in the OP. read

Oh Tanya, just accept you are wrong. Why is that so hard on this forum?

That is what you said. Now combined with the fact that most of the refugees are Muslim, and that a debate regarding Islam has popped up, you cannot distinguish the two.
Oh Tanya, just accept you are wrong. Why is that so hard on this forum?

That is what you said. Now combined with the fact that most of the refugees are Muslim, and that a debate regarding Islam has popped up, you cannot distinguish the two.

i'm not wrong. there are a lot of racist people in this thread right now who will only protect women if it means being able to express their racism, but each to their own. TSR is going to **** anyway, no point trying to stop this
Reply 218
Original post by msmeme
Getting raped in Saudi Arabia is a rare instance,
The number of reported rapes is low, but that is not surprising when it is virtually impossible to prove rape under Saudi law

one that guarantees punishment when reported.
For some, yes...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/nov/17/saudiarabia.international

As for your 'liberal' countries, there's a greater chance of rapists getting a small life-sentence and then being released to prowl the streets again.
Whereas in countries like Saudia Arabia, the rapist is unlikely to even be reported - and there is no such offence as spousal rape.
Nope they shouldn't if other cultures don't like it then tough either deal with it or don't go to the country. It is that simple and easy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending