The Student Room Group

Is it necessary to attend a University open day?

After the As level exams I know a lot of my friends will attend a variety of University Open days, they've already booked them. Though is it really that important for one to attend them, even if considering applying to 'high-end' Universities? Any advice guys? Much appreciated.
Original post by Maz A
After the As level exams I know a lot of my friends will attend a variety of University Open days, they've already booked them. Though is it really that important for one to attend them, even if considering applying to 'high-end' Universities? Any advice guys? Much appreciated.

I think it's silly not to, at least for your top choices as it could be the perfect course but you don't know if you like the location till you see it.
Original post by Maz A

If you want to be there for 3+ years of your life, I think you'd want to go there for at least 1 day beforehand if it's feasible to attend. :tongue:

You'd get to see the city, the university, speak to people and ask questions and see if it's really for you.
No. It just depends on you. Its handy for some people to go and see where they might be spending 3 years and £50,000, but some people make the decision without the need to visit. I would say its sensible to go and look as it might give you ideas about the course or place that you hadnt thought about.
Original post by 999tigger
No. It just depends on you. Its handy for some people to go and see where they might be spending 3 years and £50,000, but some people make the decision without the need to visit. I would say its sensible to go and look as it might give you ideas about the course or place that you hadnt thought about.

£50,000? Am I missing something?

Last I checked, tuition fees were £28k usually, plus accommodation (but accommodation doesn't cost £20k). Unless I'm missing some big fee somewhere or haven't really realised the cost of accommodation.
Original post by Karaleigh19
£50,000? Am I missing something?

Last I checked, tuition fees were £28k usually, plus accommodation (but accommodation doesn't cost £20k). Unless I'm missing some big fee somewhere or haven't really realised the cost of accommodation.

The average debt students left wth last year was £44k, so scroll forward 3 years and you are heading towards £50k

Sir Peter Lampl, who chairs the Sutton Trust, said: "The massive increase in tuition fees from just over £3,000 to £9,000 per annum and the abolition of the maintenance grant results in the poorest English university graduates facing debts on graduation of over £50,000 with interest rates on the debt compounding at up to 3% over inflation.
Original post by 999tigger
The average debt students left wth last year was £44k, so scroll forward 3 years and you are heading towards £50k

Oh wow. That sucks.
Why not to attend? You will see the campus, the University, even the city. You are going to spend 3-4 years of your life there so having a taste of the whole location is really important.
Just think that there are so many international students who don't have the opportunity that is given to you.
So go for it:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It is important to go to them, really. No matter the university, you might think you're going to love it but realize it really isn't for you. It's better to do that at an open day than when you actually attend as a student! I thought I was going to love Nottingham, but hated it, and I know someone who had the same experience with Oxford.
Original post by Maz A

Yes. It is. Just because it is a so-called "high-end" university it doesn't mean you'll definitely like it!!
The only reason not to would be if you can't afford to go to one.

I'd totally recommend going to at least 2, hopefully the two you are planning on making your firm and insurance choices - and if you don't enjoy either of those then you can go to more. I have had friends who were dead set on going to one place and hated it on an open day, and others who went to their last resort choice for a "free day out" and ended up firming them.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here though. The major downside to open days (as with anything similar) is that no matter where you go, everything is going to seem extremely put on and almost fake, depending on how the uni likes to run their events. Naturally an open day is 110% the best way to get a true feel for whether or not you can live and study somewhere for ~3 years of your life, but having helped out on open days for my sixth form and going to uni open days myself, it's obvious that what you see on an open day isn't a true representation of what daily life is going to be like. It'll be the closest you can experience to the real thing, but it's not perfect.

The best way to get past this 'fakeness' is to speak to current students on your visit, regardless of whether they are ambassadors or not, because they are likely to be honest, and you can usually tell by their reactions and attitudes whether or not their enjoy or loathe the course/city/uni/whatever. Ask as many questions as you can think of that you'll want to get the answer to. There's no need to be pedantic or overly dickish, but if you have a niche interest and want to know if you can carry it on at uni, don't be afraid to ask it, someone will be able to find out for you while you are there.

Having said all of that though, you really should be going to open days.
Reply 11
Thank you very much for the wonderful replies. Evidently it does seem useful to attend an open day or two so I guess i'll start booking the tickets. Thank you very much everyone for the feedback ; )

Quick Reply

Latest