The Student Room Group

How did you find the IGCSE English Language exam?

Scroll to see replies

Am I the only one thought that in the passage "pain in the neck" like her husband abused her as it wasn't the pillow?! I added it to my plan but didn't end up mentioning about it in my letter since i thought it didn't sound right. Plus my friend thought she was just trying to be nice and didn't want to seem harsh on Al?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also mentioned that and how AL got her mint tea it should be on their.
It was kind of difficult to find 5 points for each bullet point in question 1 though I'm thinking it went okay. I struggled to find 4 decent terms or phrases in question 2 but I managed to make do with what was there, and as for question 3... that went really well! I'm expecting a B tbh.
Original post by za07
do u lose marks if you write over limit? If so, how many?

Yep. There's usually a 50-100 word threshold, it just depends. They don't count the words usually though, so unless you've obviously written too much they probably won't notice.
Original post by za07
do u lose marks if you write over limit? If so, how many?

My school called the exam board about the word count, and they explained that it's just a guideline, so you won't lose marks.
Man i talked about how what they did would determine what to do for the rest of the trip according to the husbands injury for BP3For example, -I said we would take more excursions if the husband was fit enough -I said we would just stay in the hotel and relax -I said we would maybe have to leave earlier than planned because the husband's injury was very serious and he wasn't able to do anythingWould I get any marks for this?
For question 1 I signed the letter by saying lots of love from but then I wrote my own name instead of Maria :frown: will I lose marks for this? If so, how many?
Reply 147
Q1 - It was fine, I wrote lots, included like pretty much everything I could find and had some fine inferring for the third point BUT I will drop one mark for not signing it off, such a stupid mistake!

Q2 - This was such a dodgy question...but I got some stuff out of it anyway. Plosive alliteration sounds from "tatty trinkets" show Mr Head's hate for Old Town, said some random stuff about "bits of cloth" that will probably not get me anything lol, "rainbow of produce" creates a vivid image of a variety of products AND expresses Al's determination, he's gone and gotten all these exotic foodstuffs

Q3 - This was alright overall but I had no idea you had to stick to the word count! Just recently I was told that the word counts don't actually matter, a teacher confirmed with the board they don't really penalize you if you go over but I didn't know that just for the summary you do actually have to stick to the word count ;/

SOOOO, I have no idea what the grade boundaries were for before but if I get at least 45/50 that would be amazing!
that happened to me! i spent 25 minutes reading through passage A, it took me while to understand who Maria was. I then skipped it and went to Q2. I only did the first paragraph of Q2 and was about to start the second paragraph but it was so hard and i was running out of time so i moved on to Q3 which i finished. I then quickly went back to Q1 and rushed it. I then run out of time.

I only did Q1, 1/2 of Q2 and Q3 but had no chance of reading over anything that i wrote so probably a lot of spelling/ grammar mistakes.
Original post by emilia12113
that happened to me! i spent 25 minutes reading through passage A, it took me while to understand who Maria was. I then skipped it and went to Q2. I only did the first paragraph of Q2 and was about to start the second paragraph but it was so hard and i was running out of time so i moved on to Q3 which i finished. I then quickly went back to Q1 and rushed it. I then run out of time.

I only did Q1, 1/2 of Q2 and Q3 but had no chance of reading over anything that i wrote so probably a lot of spelling/ grammar mistakes.

We were taught to answer 3 then 1 then 2. I think its the most effective way to get the most marks but anyways this advice probably definitely wont help you now. im sure u did fine.
Can anyone , tell me if this is right...60% coursework, 40% exam and 20% Speaking and Listening for the IGCSE ENGLISH LANGUAGE...
Original post by Rhianmaghie
Can anyone , tell me if this is right...60% coursework, 40% exam and 20% Speaking and Listening for the IGCSE ENGLISH LANGUAGE...

Yh correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhianmaghie

Oh sorry its not. 40% coursework 20% speaking and listening and then 40% exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scotland has English higher exam tomorrow 😭😭 apparently it was leaked
Original post by haroon1998
Scotland has English higher exam tomorrow 😭😭 apparently it was leaked

Ooo unlucky! I've been told whenever a paper is leaked they replace it with a harder paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Ooo unlucky! I've been told whenever a paper is leaked they replace it with a harder paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really 😰 This is my second time sitting it
Original post by bikiniikilll
Am I the only one thought that in the passage "pain in the neck" like her husband abused her as it wasn't the pillow?! I added it to my plan but didn't end up mentioning about it in my letter since i thought it didn't sound right. Plus my friend thought she was just trying to be nice and didn't want to seem harsh on Al?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the pain in her neck referred to her husband.
Reply 157
Original post by za07
the pain in her neck referred to her husband.

LOL really?! I didn't even realize but in my third inferring paragraph I put something like "but now that the pain in my neck is gone I can..."

That worked out well without me even realizing!
Okay so the second one was so easy. #confident

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending