The Student Room Group

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up?

Scroll to see replies

OP what are you thinking for yourself?
Reply 241
Original post by welcometoib
you sound upset when you reply to these sorts of threads, maybe you come across that way on here but dont actually mean to

I don't think I've ever been upset as a result of an online forum thread! :biggrin:

yes but you literally post on every single thread every created wrt career aspirations, telling the students they are delusional. id guess they arent, seeing as there are literally thousands of 30k starting salary jobs for graduates. most people here have put their realistic salaries too, which are well under 30k.

I work from personal experience (mine and peer's) and reported averages.

Indeed; most are very realistic. I commented that my own at that age was not, and others (not all) have posted equally unrealistic figures.
Original post by KatieBlogger
Pulling splinters out children's fingers? You really have no clue at all about the work of doctors and nurses. A great deal of us handle life and death situations and chronic disease - day in day out. You play with numbers and no it doesn't make me feel ''fuzzy'' seeing a toddler on a ventilator - and that's not why I do it, to feel ''fuzzy''.
Like I said, one life. One family. One difference at a time. It might make you feel good (that you're caring) -- and that's why you do it -- but the point still stands that you can save more lives donating to charities that provide medicine for people who don't have it across the world. What are you actually adding by becoming a doctor? There are way too many applicants for the field and they're all kindhearted people who want to help. By piling on you actually don't add anything they would have. It's an over-saturated field and there isn't a good reason why it should be pursued because it's not in need.

I want to help as MANY people as I can. And absolutely with LOTS of money I can do that. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? I considered medicine. I considered nursing. I considered non-profits, but I'm convinced earning to give will allow me to have a much bigger impact on people's lives.

People who have a strong calling to help others follow careers that allow them to feel fulfilled on a daily basis and see their efforts making a real difference in people's lives. They don't just throw a bit of their salary towards a charity each month to salve their conscience. It's not all about money either - 99% of elderly people I've cared for just want someone to talk to or a hand to hold - throwing money at some issues isn't the solution. We've got plenty of resources and equipment where I work - that's not our issue, we just need people who actually care.

Yes. I will not get to hold a kid's hand who was dying and I nursed back to health. Again, fuzzy feelings of feeling *you* did something... that 20 other applicants could have done too. How many people can actually donate to employ 6 non profit workers to go hand out medicines? Do you think you can do that on a doctor's salary?

was stating something about people's motivations towards careers and your little speech about you being able to give back through banking more than a Doctor can through clinical practice really doesn't wash with me at all and just makes you sound totally deluded. Is that REALLY why you wanted that career - to give your salary to good causes? Would you have dared to say that in an interview? Don't patronize me with that.

Yes it is why i'm doing it. I wish I couldn't say I care less what you think but I do care and that's why I'm annoyed.
What I say in an interview and what I want privately are not the same thing. It's none of the bank's business what I do with my money. That's a poor argument.

https://80000hours.org/2012/08/how-many-lives-does-a-doctor-save/
https://80000hours.org/2012/09/how-many-lives-does-a-doctor-save-part-2-diminishing-marginal-returns/
https://80000hours.org/2012/09/how-many-lives-does-a-doctor-save-part-3-replacement-84/

Nice speech. The numbers speak for themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
I don't think I've ever been upset as a result of an online forum thread! :biggrin:

I work from personal experience (mine and peer's) and reported averages.

Indeed; most are very realistic. I commented that my own at that age was not, and others (not all) have posted equally unrealistic figures.

did you feel you deserved that salary at 21 because you had a degree? or were you on the exec of a society, a campus ambassador, doing voluntary work, getting high 2.1s in your modules, and developing your commercial awareness from year 1 of your degree? people who do the above are extremely realistic, students on here do this stuff and hence feel extremely comfortable with the salary they feel they deserve. there is a difference between the students who do the above, and the ones who think they will earn 30k because they have a degree.
Reply 244
did you feel you deserved that salary at 21 because you had a degree? or were you on the exec of a society, a campus ambassador, doing voluntary work, getting high 2.1s in your modules, and developing your commercial awareness from year 1 of your degree?

Probably about 50%

people who do the above are extremely realistic, students on here do this stuff and hence feel extremely comfortable with the salary they feel they deserve. there is a difference between the students who do the above, and the ones who think they will earn 30k because they have a degree.

I totally agree.
Original post by SophieSmall
Degree: Biomedical science
Jobs/ Career of interest: Used to want to go into research, but since being at uni I really do not want to go into science. I just want to live a simple and relativity stress free life.
Graduate salary expected: No idea, but 20k or over gross salary and I'm happy.

I don't think simplicity and stress-free go hand in hand in a single job unless you have in-demand skills. What do you plan to do when you graduate? Will you actively search for something that you like or will you just live at home?
Original post by KatieBlogger
My heart really bleeds for you because you're so misunderstood.

Pulling splinters out children's fingers? You really have no clue at all about the work of doctors and nurses. A great deal of us handle life and death situations and chronic disease - day in day out. You play with numbers and no it doesn't make me feel ''fuzzy'' seeing a toddler on a ventilator - and that's not why I do it, to feel ''fuzzy''.

I was asked why people go into banking. I said for money. No one's proved me wrong yet - the only people who have replied have gone off on tangents and tried to make out that I'm saying banking is evil etc - no where have I said that.

I was stating something about people's motivations towards careers and your little speech about you being able to give back through banking more than a Doctor can through clinical practice really doesn't wash with me at all and just makes you sound totally deluded. Is that REALLY why you wanted that career - to give your salary to good causes? Would you have dared to say that in an interview? Don't patronize me with that.

People who have a strong calling to help others follow careers that allow them to feel fulfilled on a daily basis and see their efforts making a real difference in people's lives. They don't just throw a bit of their salary towards a charity each month to salve their conscience. It's not all about money either - 99% of elderly people I've cared for just want someone to talk to or a hand to hold - throwing money at some issues isn't the solution. We've got plenty of resources and equipment where I work - that's not our issue, we just need people who actually care

Lol, most future doctors are going into it because it pays well.. It's not the entire reason, no, but I guarantee you if consultant physicians or surgeons weren't paid as well as they are much fewer people would pursue or even think about considering it as a career. Aspiring med students here on TSR, sixthform kids IRL, current med students are perfectly aware that they can make a pretty penny as a doctor whilst still having a semblance (rather the image of) 'selflessness' or 'admiration'.

I think you need to realise not everyone pursues a career for 'noble' reasons. Most people's (I'm speaking average) motivations are mostly selfish (as is human nature); in the form of: 'prestige/accolade', 'it pays the bills', 'I want to win', 'I like the work' that kind of thing. Drilling down on motives, stripping out the idealistic interview answers, the average Joe choosing a career will focus introspectively - they choose jobs, career paths and degrees because of mostly superfluous reasons baked in personal desires.

Which is why I don't see the need for you to call bankers 'robots'. If you're going to call them robots, call 95% of the UK 'robots' too - because for the most part, they don't care, all they're doing is going into work each day to get a pay check at the end of the month to finance their sphere of existence.

What I can only conclude is that you want to feel 'righteous' for choosing your career, in that process you look down on other careers because in your mind they don't contribute to the 'selflessness' ideal. You think that all nurses, doctors, counsellors are the 'true heros' because of what they choose to do with their lives. I'm afraid I have to tell you: at the end of the day they're all just trying to get by. Sure some people genuinely find 'joy' from their work but as long as we're in this economic machine we still need to work (in any job) to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
@Princepieman

These articles show rather rigorously that in terms of lives saved a whole career as a doctor summates to a £10000 donation to the right charity:

https://80000hours.org/2012/08/how-m...a-doctor-save/
https://80000hours.org/2012/09/how-m...ginal-returns/
https://80000hours.org/2012/09/how-m...eplacement-84/

They make a really compelling case, I think, against people going into medicine as altruists. Absolutely righteous and wanting to feel like you're making a tangible difference--- needing to see it-- are good reasons.

She gave a good argument in 'most just want somebody to talk to', implying 'save lives' isn't all doctors do. But
1) Bigger issues first. Don't move goalposts
2) She used to be a nurse. If that was the real motivation then she could have done that in her old profession
3) There are thousands of people who would do what she does and so her personal addition to the NHS doesn't actually seem to make a difference. If you really want to make a difference, you need to contribute to fields that aren't being paid enough attention. Clearly practicing as a doctor isn't it right now.
Original post by J-SP
There are probably a few thousand jobs that pay that amount. But there are hundreds of thousands of graduates - both from the UK and the EU (and even beyond - considering those high paying jobs can often be filled by non-EU applicants through work permits).

The reality is less than 3% of UK graduates will earn over £35k when they leave university.

This place has got a higher proportion of people who are clearly career focused and ambitious, but the reality is the majority of people are likely to be disappointed if they expect a salary of £35k or above within a year of graduating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have stats/a distribution to back that? Would be interested in seeing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juichiro
I don't think simplicity and stress-free go hand in hand in a single job unless you have in-demand skills. What do you plan to do when you graduate? Will you actively search for something that you like or will you just live at home?

Depends what each individual finds simple and stress free. For example most mundane and monotonous jobs I personally would do (mentally) quite well in, because the routine stops me feeling stressed. I think the most important thing for me in a job would be being able to get on well with the people around me and not being in a high stress fast paced "rat race" environment.

I don't plan to do particularly skilled work until I can figure out what I'm doing with my life to be honest. Because at this point there is very little I enjoy, so I'm unsure what route to take.

I'm considering doing some "live-in" unskilled work in Europe short term as a chance to see the world a little while still earning money.

I don't plan to live with my mum if that is what you meant by live at home.

Basically at the moment mentally I am a complete mess.
Original post by J-SP
Chart 2 - https://www.hesa.ac.uk/sfr217#sfr217chart2

Taking into account this only represents those students who are in full-time employment, so does not take into account those who are unemployed or working part-time, the percentage is likely to be even lower than 3%.

I took a look at their '3 years on' data, and I found something pretty interesting: 3 years after graduating, of the sample of graduates in full time work (~64k) they had, ~26% were on £30k or more vs ~10% in the 6 months after graduating version.

But there might be sample bias at work there, so not fully sure.

Source: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/dlhelong0809_intro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You said 'on qualification' which is after 2 years of training, hence the £30k+ range. I'm well aware most Scottish firms pay in the £18 to low £20s for first year trainees.

Yeah, I understand that but it's quite rare to train 'in-house'. Most often you'd train in private practice (at a firm) then qualify as a solicitor before moving in-house. Hence why it's a good idea to find firms with decent practice areas surrounding healthcare.

As for £60k 5+ years after qualifying, that seems somewhat reasonable but I'm not sure whether in-house salaries ramp up as much as private practice ones do.

EDIT: Ok, it's more £45-55k in-house in Scotland after 5 years.

Yeah I would train within a firm and after a few years I would move to in house work.

I am hoping to eventually take a conversion course for English law or to take the bar exam for America, so I do not plan on working in Scotland for the rest of my career. :smile:

Yeah traineeships in Scotland are usually in the low 20s however in some of the larger firms it can extend to the higher end of the 20s.

It is not a career I have chosen for money, so long as I am earning an amount that will afford me a comfortable life then I am happy.
Degree: Depends on results day - Currently opted for Biochem but potentially looking at Comp Sci
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Startup, Tech Startup, Freelance Programming
Graduate Salary Expected: >40,000 in 3-4 years after graduating.
Original post by High Stakes
Degree: Depends on results day - Currently opted for Biochem but potentially looking at Comp Sci
Jobs/Careers of Interest: Startup, Tech Startup, Freelance Programming
Graduate Salary Expected: >40,000 in 3-4 years after graduating.

Startup and Tech Startup? I thought the former assumes it's tech.. It's rare to find high growth, early non-tech startups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Startup and Tech Startup? I thought the former assumes it's tech.. It's rare to find high growth, early non-tech startups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they are quite rare. Option is still open though and I've seen a few pop up here and there so it's all good experience to try and get involved with any business-responsibility.

I'm planning on trying to get as much experience as possible before even trying to start one from scratch. I've planned it out for a bit now and I have a general direction of how I'm gonna go about doing things.
Original post by Jbaby98
Ya its bad now but I am hoping the industry picks up in a few years time when I graduate. From what I gather, this happens once every decade or so.

The oil industry will never go back to how it used to be. If you want a totally future proof job where you could very likely enjoy a great salary and good working hours, I would aim to become a mega programmer.
Original post by J-SP
Chart 2 - https://www.hesa.ac.uk/sfr217#sfr217chart2

Taking into account this only represents those students who are in full-time employment, so does not take into account those who are unemployed or working part-time, the percentage is likely to be even lower than 3%.

That data is self-reported. Not very reliable and obviously biased.
Original post by J-SP
Still shows the vast majority will not be earning over £30k and that's after three years of working!

There are bound to be some issues with the data (there usually is), but this is one of the more accurate ways of looking at the issue compared to other headline stats that are used.

I think the issue is more with the "sample" of answers you would get from this site. I suspect that would be skewed to a certain demographic more than the HESA data.

That's the vast majority of people who chose to take the survey. I think this data only makes sense if you provide the percentage of UK grads that fill out the surveys.
Reply 258

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you consider a Tech Startup yourself, if the opportunity arose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Would you consider a Tech Startup yourself, if the opportunity arose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely! Especially in a product manager role or like a data scientist role. I'm actually thinking about applying to Google's early internship (first year or 2nd year of a four year course) scheme or a startup to see what tech is all about in first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending