The Student Room Group

French listening exam?

I'm really freaking out right now. Basically I have my French listening exam in a fortnight but I'm so scared I'm not going to be able to hear it properly. I'm having a lot of issues with my hearing at the moment, and we have been trying to get me a hearing test, but no one seems to want to do it for me.
We went to boots as they do them but because I'm under 18 we can't pay to have it done anywhere. They said I had to go through my doctors, so we went to the doctors, and they told me I had to get it through school. I spoke to someone in the health and wellbeing suite at my school and she said that they can't do a hearing test there, but my friend who went with me her mum is a school nurse so the woman told us to ask her. My friends mum said we'd need to get it through the school nurse, so I went back to health and wellbeing today to ask about it, and the school nurse is on holiday, and the soonest appointment I'd be able to make with her is the day of my exam! The woman gave me the number for the emergency school nurse helpline and said that they would give me an appointment with another school nurse. My mum called the number and they said that I had to get it from my doctor! So my mum called the doctors again and they said they'd get a doctor to call her back.
My problem is that we've been trying to get this hearing test for the past month and nobody seems to want to do it. I'm worried because in my mock I couldn't hear the recording as it was too echoey and I couldn't distinguish individual words, and ended up getting a U, and my target grade is an A! I did a practice paper the other day in exam conditions, using my headphones turned up high enough so I could hear it clearly, and I got an A*.
I'm worried that if I can't get a hearing test before my exam I will fail it as they wont let me use headphones or sit in a different room to do it without a doctors note saying I do have a problem with my hearing. Is there anyway they'd let me do it with headphones without a doctors note? Because if I can get and A* with headphones and a U in the hall, then it must be my hearing that's the problem not me not being able to do the paper?
What should I do? I'm going to speak to the exams officer tomorrow so my mum can make an appointment to speak with her but I'm so worried they'll say that they can't do anything to help me and I'm just going to have to do it in the hall and fail it:frown:
Don;t worry they have to help you. If not contact the exams board
Original post by 1jonam16
Don;t worry they have to help you. If not contact the exams board

Thank you, but do they have to help me though if I've not managed to get an official hearing test before the exam? Would the exam board do anything either if I've not been able to get a doctor to say I've got a hearing problem?
I think a letter form your mum should suffice for now, but obviously, you will need a doctor's note within 3 days of your exam I think
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
Thank you, but do they have to help me though if I've not managed to get an official hearing test before the exam? Would the exam board do anything either if I've not been able to get a doctor to say I've got a hearing problem?

Quick Reply

Latest