The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Biology Alternative to Practical

Scroll to see replies

It said like it was in the figure above, surely, you can't label something that you haven't drawn, it just doesn't happen.
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
It wouldn't mean just label an empty section, you probably needed to drawn the outline of the xylem vessel as it said identify on your diagram I think.

You had to label the section only, drawing of individual xylem cells will be penalised
Maybe 2 or 3?

Why did u make the edges so jagged
I drew the outline of the xylem vessel, if you just pointed it to a place in the vascular bundle surely you would lose the mark because you are not pointing anywhere.
Original post by examhater44
Why did u make the edges so jagged

True, they were curved and have in bits and out bits; but weren't jagged.
Was I correct in assuming that for the "red dye" question you had to place a plant in a beaker filled with the solution? Not just cut a piece then stain it?
Original post by juannypacquiao
Was I correct in assuming that for the "red dye" question you had to place a plant in a beaker filled with the solution? Not just cut a piece then stain it?

It said it could be seen with a microscope so I assumed you had to prepare the microscope and could cut a piece and stain it??
Original post by 123Master321
It said it could be seen with a microscope so I assumed you had to prepare the microscope and could cut a piece and stain it??

I initially placed the plant in the solution so it would rise up the xylem then I would cut it and place it under the microscope. Is that still correct? :s-smilie:
I initially placed the plant in the solution so it would rise up the xylem then I would cut it and place it under the microscope. Is that still correct? :s-smilie:

I think this method is fine, but surely you can still dye it after cutting?

Yep so you put it in the red dye (eosin) solution for 1-2 days then cut stem and place under microscope red bit is xylem bit next to it that isnt coloured is phloem
If you cut and then dye, the dye is just going to come out..
When we get our results in August, do we get infividual paper marks or just a final percentage and grade of the 3 papers of each science?
Perhaps the cutting then dying will still be accepted but the max marks available may be lower. Just my thoughts...?
If you cut and then dye, the dye is just going to come out..

Why is this
Perhaps the cutting then dying will still be accepted but the max marks available may be lower. Just my thoughts...?

That's not really how the mark schemes work..
Why is this

If you look in the textbook with this practical you have to let the xylem become stained with the red dye and the only way this can be achieved is by putting it in a pot of red dye solution and leaving for 1-2 days there's no other way
That's not really how the mark schemes work..

There have been times in markschemes where it says "A [insert answer here]" but then it says "[MAX 2]" or something even when the question is out of 4 so you can't get all the marks for it
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys,

For the difference between the xylem and phloem vessels, I wrote the xylem is hollower.......

Thats right yea?
xylem was wider
hollower implies there is nothing was inside it, I wouldn't use hollower as an adjective, I don't think you'd get the mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending