The Student Room Group

Long distance relationship in university

I am hoping to go to university at the end of the year which will be about 2 hours away from where i currently live. I am worried that me and my boyfriend will not last long distance but i really don't want to lose him. I was just wondering if there is anyone who is/did long distance relationships in uni and could give me some advice about it?
Original post by Vickyc16xx
I am hoping to go to university at the end of the year which will be about 2 hours away from where i currently live. I am worried that me and my boyfriend will not last long distance but i really don't want to lose him. I was just wondering if there is anyone who is/did long distance relationships in uni and could give me some advice about it?

Im currently in a long distance relationship, about an hours drive away from each other. The thing with us is that we werent close to start with, we both started long distance, we just got into it and it went fine.

With you i'd suggest staying in close contact so text each other every day, skype or facetime so the relationship between you both doesnt turn sour. If you are staying in Halls you can always invite him over to stay for a night and meet every weekend? One thing me and my girlfriend do is that I visit her every weekend and just spend time with her, maybe go out and do things.

The hardest part will be learning to go days without seeing each other, it'll be hard at first but it'll make seeing each other when you do a whole lot better/satisfying! If anything it will strengthen your relationship!

Hope this helps ^_^

All the long distance relationships I knew of at uni didn't work. I eventually ended my relationship and two of the girls I lived with in first year dropped out because they missed their boyfriends. That's not to say it won't work for you, I've had another LDR since and that worked fine, we eventually moved in together and are now engaged
Reply 3
Original post by CptConnor
Im currently in a long distance relationship, about an hours drive away from each other. The thing with us is that we werent close to start with, we both started long distance, we just got into it and it went fine.

With you i'd suggest staying in close contact so text each other every day, skype or facetime so the relationship between you both doesnt turn sour. If you are staying in Halls you can always invite him over to stay for a night and meet every weekend? One thing me and my girlfriend do is that I visit her every weekend and just spend time with her, maybe go out and do things.

The hardest part will be learning to go days without seeing each other, it'll be hard at first but it'll make seeing each other when you do a whole lot better/satisfying! If anything it will strengthen your relationship!

Hope this helps ^_^

thank you for the advice it kinda puts my mind at rest a bit :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hippieglitter
All the long distance relationships I knew of at uni didn't work. I eventually ended my relationship and two of the girls I lived with in first year dropped out because they missed their boyfriends. That's not to say it won't work for you, I've had another LDR since and that worked fine, we eventually moved in together and are now engaged

Thank you for the advice
Perfectly doable for it to work as long as you both put the effort in, communication is the key and honesty.
Reply 6
Original post by Rock Fan
Perfectly doable for it to work as long as you both put the effort in, communication is the key and honesty.

Thank you :smile: im just worried the distance will make it harder for us to see each other and we will grow a part
Thank you :smile: im just worried the distance will make it harder for us to see each other and we will grow a part

Not as long as you keep in contact when you can :smile:
I went on my year abroad and came back to my boyfriend cheating on me and he's now in a realtionship with the same girl :smile:
Original post by Mollymod
I went on my year abroad and came back to my boyfriend cheating on me and he's now in a relationship with the same girl :smile:
I'm sorry too hear that
Im currently in a long distance relationship cos my gf moved to Plymouth while i'm in London and where doing fine at the moment. We trust each other talk and text every single day and she always tells me if she's going out or if she's having friends around etc. If you want a long distance relationship to work out you guys need to trust each other, Skype and call everyday (as much times as you can) and keep talking or else it'll just end. hope everything works out !
2 hours is fine.

I was about 5 hours and we got to see eachother about once a month, sometimes going about 3 months without seeing eachother and it's not that bad. Phonecalls/Skype. I quite liked it, other than forking out £80 on train fares. I felt like I had a lot of space at university and could focus on my work better.

It's perfectly do able. If I could give you any advice, it would be to plan something special for the summer, like going away or something.
Reply 12
Original post by Rock Fan

thank you
Reply 13
Original post by hezzlington
2 hours is fine.

I was about 5 hours and we got to see eachother about once a month, sometimes going about 3 months without seeing eachother and it's not that bad. Phonecalls/Skype. I quite liked it, other than forking out £80 on train fares. I felt like I had a lot of space at university and could focus on my work better.

It's perfectly do able. If I could give you any advice, it would be to plan something special for the summer, like going away or something.

Thank you for the helpful advice :smile: i am hoping mine will work like yours has
Reply 14
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
Im currently in a long distance relationship cos my gf moved to Plymouth while i'm in London and where doing fine at the moment. We trust each other talk and text every single day and she always tells me if she's going out or if she's having friends around etc. If you want a long distance relationship to work out you guys need to trust each other, Skype and call everyday (as much times as you can) and keep talking or else it'll just end. hope everything works out !

Thank you so much! i hope so too
Me and my boyfriend are both coming to the end of First Year at Uni and our Uni's are about 2 & a half hours away from each other. We are going as strong as ever, it is definitely possible if the communication is strong! There are loads of ways you guys can message, and even Skype/FaceTime too. As long as the communication and trust is there then it'll be fine. It'll also make meeting up with each other special as it's not something you can just do every day when you're apart. Best of luck!
CptConnor's post sums up the best ways to keep a long distance relationship going.

However, I should bring a dose of reality to this thread. I am sorry to say it's probably not going to work out. The inconvenient truth is that long distance kills relationships 99.9% of the time, regardless of years of prior commitment or confidence in the love shared.

All these people who are saying it worked out for them are in a lucky tiny minority among thousands upon thousands of failed long distance relationships at university. And I should say most of them haven't completed university yet so they may well break down in the future.

I am not just saying this because mine lasted for 2 and a half years with a year and a half of long distance before it finally ended. Everyone I knew who entered into one - and I mean everyone - broke up within a year. Most broke up before Christmas. Two hours isn't too bad, I suppose, but be prepared for it not to work out.

Most important: if you start growing apart then don't ruin your studies or general happiness over it. If you feel like dropping out because you miss your boyfriend, then for God sakes end it because a relationship between teenagers is NEVER worth prioritising over studies. Never. Personally, my studies didn't suffer too much, but I was desperately unhappy at university for the entirety of my first year because of the breakup and 1st year is supposed to be the best of all!

Quick Reply

Latest