The Student Room Group

Advice needed for applying to universities in UK for medicine

I am currently doing my A levels and wish to study medicine in the UK as an international student aiming to get a full scholarship for financial reasons.
I have 10A*s as my O/L results (IGCSE edexcel).
Currently doing Biology, chemistry, math and physics and aim to get 4A* for my ALs.
What unis would you suggest that I should apply to that can grant me full scholarships?
Hi I'm also an International Student, and have also applied and have a conditional offer from a uni in London for Medicine starting this year in September.

The first thing I'd like to tell you is don't aim for a scholarship. UK unis rarely give out scholarships for other courses and I don't even think there's an option for a scholarship for medicine for international students since they'd be losing a whole lot of money that way- this is because international students liie us bring in a whole lot of money and Medicine is the most expensive UK uni course, with fees no less than 20, 000 pounds per year. So please talk to your parents before applying if they will be able to support you for 5/6 years. Also competition is a LOT more intense fir Medicine, esp for Int students( the government has a quota of only 7% international students for medicine)

The second thing I'd like to tell you, and don't be discouraged, but it is a VERY VERY strenuous process. I put in around 2 years of work on this application, but after you get an offer, it is very much worth it. If you have friends applying to non-Medicine courses, let me just tell you that Medicine applications is a completely different world. Here's just a few things that are absolutely mandatory:

1. Take an admission/aptitude test:
There's two types of these tests: BMAT and UKCAT. Of the 32 med schools in the UK, only 5 need the BMAT. There's a whole lot of research you should do on these, and you have to register a month or so before so make sure you know the deadlines. You also have to study, so you should order books from online, and there's also loads of paid for and free materials on the internet.

2. Get work experience:
This may be very hard, esp for us international students. For e.g I don't have any docs in the family and there are no hospitals/healthcare related environments that will help a 17 year old Medicine hopeful, but I practically had to beg people for the little I could get.

By work experience I mean:
1. If you know any docs, convince them to let you sit in in a few consultation sessions with their patients, and take notes of how they interact.
2. Volunteer- best if its in a healthcare environment.
You could also read books like Do No Hard etc to show the unis that you're motivated for Medicine.

3. Give interviews:
They won't do Skype interviews so if they select you for an interview then you have to go to UK. Painful I know but it is worth it. You also have to study and practice A LOT for these interviews and they make or break your application, so don't take them lightly.

These are just a few of the basic things you need to know about. Please remember that you still have to do A LOT of research, so don't expect people to give you all the info and Google is your bestfriend. I hope this helped. If you have anymore questions, I will definitely be happy to help since I know hard it is, esp for Int students. :smile: Good luck! I know this is a bit daunting. Also congrats on those 10 A*s!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice.
So since I got to know this earlier now, time for me to start preparing :smile:
Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 3
Btw which uni did you apply to?
Original post by TheMadHatteress
Hi I'm also an International Student, and have also applied and have a conditional offer from a uni in London for Medicine starting this year in September.

The first thing I'd like to tell you is don't aim for a scholarship. UK unis rarely give out scholarships for other courses and I don't even think there's an option for a scholarship for medicine for international students since they'd be losing a whole lot of money that way- this is because international students liie us bring in a whole lot of money and Medicine is the most expensive UK uni course, with fees no less than 20, 000 pounds per year. So please talk to your parents before applying if they will be able to support you for 5/6 years. Also competition is a LOT more intense fir Medicine, esp for Int students( the government has a quota of only 7% international students for medicine)

The second thing I'd like to tell you, and don't be discouraged, but it is a VERY VERY strenuous process. I put in around 2 years of work on this application, but after you get an offer, it is very much worth it. If you have friends applying to non-Medicine courses, let me just tell you that Medicine applications is a completely different world. Here's just a few things that are absolutely mandatory:

1. Take an admission/aptitude test:
There's two types of these tests: BMAT and UKCAT. Of the 32 med schools in the UK, only 5 need the BMAT. There's a whole lot of research you should do on these, and you have to register a month or so before so make sure you know the deadlines. You also have to study, so you should order books from online, and there's also loads of paid for and free materials on the internet.

2. Get work experience:
This may be very hard, esp for us international students. For e.g I don't have any docs in the family and there are no hospitals/healthcare related environments that will help a 17 year old Medicine hopeful, but I practically had to beg people for the little I could get.

By work experience I mean:
1. If you know any docs, convince them to let you sit in in a few consultation sessions with their patients, and take notes of how they interact.
2. Volunteer- best if its in a healthcare environment.
You could also read books like Do No Hard etc to show the unis that you're motivated for Medicine.

3. Give interviews:
They won't do Skype interviews so if they select you for an interview then you have to go to UK. Painful I know but it is worth it. You also have to study and practice A LOT for these interviews and they make or break your application, so don't take them lightly.

These are just a few of the basic things you need to know about. Please remember that you still have to do A LOT of research, so don't expect people to give you all the info and Google is your bestfriend. I hope this helped. If you have anymore questions, I will definitely be happy to help since I know hard it is, esp for Int students. :smile: Good luck! I know this is a bit daunting. Also congrats on those 10 A*s!! :biggrin:
Original post by Samna
Thanks for the advice.
So since I got to know this earlier now, time for me to start preparing :smile:
Thank you so much :smile:

Not a problem, I'm happy to help :biggrin: and that's the spirit!

And I have firmed St. George's, University of London. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending