The Student Room Group

M1 June 2011 Momentum Help.

image.png Could somebody please explain why using v-1 rather than v+1 is incorrect? Using v+1 I get the correct answer but v-1 makes both v's off by 1/5.
Reply 1
Can I see the kind of diagram you've drawn? It's mostly because of poor diagrams why people get these questions wrong frequently especially in M2, so post
a picture of a diagram as it'd be easy to see where you've gone wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by Marxist
Can I see the kind of diagram you've drawn? It's mostly because of poor diagrams why people get these questions wrong frequently especially in M2, so post
a picture of a diagram as it'd be easy to see where you've gone wrong.

image.jpg
Reply 3
Original post by Middriver
image.jpg

This is not a good diagram. I think this is where your problem lies imho. You've over complicated very simple equations too. Try to do it differently this time. I'll give you a hint - make sure you've got a diagram of 'before' and 'after' collision. The whole question takes very little effort with a good diagram - in fact most mechanics questions do.
Reply 4
Original post by Marxist
This is not a good diagram. I think this is where your problem lies imho. You've over complicated very simple equations too. Try to do it differently this time. I'll give you a hint - make sure you've got a diagram of 'before' and 'after' collision. The whole question takes very little effort with a good diagram - in fact most mechanics questions do.

Could you draw diagrams for both v+1 and v-1 if you wouldn't mind.
Reply 5
Could you draw diagrams for both v+1 and v-1 if you wouldn't mind.

Yes, although I am currently doing some stuff. I'll try and help you out so please remind me if I've forgotten. Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by xyz9856
using v-1 is incorrect for the right side. How could it be going slower than the first particle after the collision when in the question it states they haven't become 1 particle

x

Quick Reply

Latest