The Student Room Group

The more past papers I do, the more my grade is declining??

I've done quite a lot of AS Unit 1 Biology past papers but as I go through the years, my grade seems to be getting worse? I started off as a solid A and now it's declined to a mid-B. I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong? If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated!
Original post by AndrewKn0x
I've done quite a lot of AS Unit 1 Biology past papers but as I go through the years, my grade seems to be getting worse? I started off as a solid A and now it's declined to a mid-B. I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong? If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated!

It's tough to say, but you could look at your exam papers and look at where you're getting/losing marks and try to draw conclusions from that - for example, if you're always struggling one topic, that could do with some more revision. If you're missing those key words that get you the marks, then you should look over those, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if you've done those papers in one sitting in succession, but if so then that can be very draining and you're more likely to make mistakes.

If you're going through papers from 2010 to the more recent ones then they'll probably have gotten harder year on year, too.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
It's tough to say, but you could look at your exam papers and look at where you're getting/losing marks and try to draw conclusions from that - for example, if you're always struggling one topic, that could do with some more revision. If you're missing those key words that get you the marks, then you should look over those, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if you've done those papers in one sitting in succession, but if so then that can be very draining and you're more likely to make mistakes.

If you're going through papers from 2010 to the more recent ones then they'll probably have gotten harder year on year, too.

I always seems to get different bits and pieces of the paper wrong. I haven't done them in one sitting, no. However, I did one the other day and got 87% which is an A. I was probably having an off day or something but they were definitely harder because I'm gradually working up the years up until summer last years paper.
I always seems to get different bits and pieces of the paper wrong. I haven't done them in one sitting, no. However, I did one the other day and got 87% which is an A. I was probably having an off day or something but they were definitely harder because I'm gradually working up the years up until summer last years paper.

Is that UMS or just % of marks on the paper?

What would you say is the reason that you get those different parts wrong? Is it the most difficult part of the paper, or some kind of error/mistake, or something you could have double checked.. etc.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Is that UMS or just % of marks on the paper?

What would you say is the reason that you get those different parts wrong? Is it the most difficult part of the paper, or some kind of error/mistake, or something you could have double checked.. etc.

Just the percentage. What would 80UMS be in raw marks out of 80marks? Just curious. Urm, it's mainly the maths calculations I don't get and since they can't be taught because they vary massively each year. Yeah, usually they're just difficult questions! I'll keep at it!
Just the percentage. What would 80UMS be in raw marks out of 80marks? Just curious. Urm, it's mainly the maths calculations I don't get and since they can't be taught because they vary massively each year. Yeah, usually they're just difficult questions! I'll keep at it!

Your exam board should have some information or even a calculator somewhere, eg AQA. So you will most likely see that with the harder exams, you get slightly more UMS.

Ah, I see. I don't know enough about Biology to give specific advice - perhaps there are some resources somewhere or maths questions that you can practice for the unit? (I guess that's not an easy thing to find if the questions vary a lot).
Reply 6

Is it because of a certain type of questions you are not used to that you keep dropping marks?

Quick Reply

Latest