The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metellaest
I understand. But given that it's not truly a formal letter writing format in that you don't write an address or anything, I'd have hoped it would only be 1 of the 5 marks available for writing? It seems like taking more than 20% off for not writing 'your friend Maria' is a little mean...

It sounds like I'm trying to argue but I really don't mean to (just trying to vent my stressed-out feeling)! I appreciate that you have much more experience with the paper than I do. Thank you again!

Well I thought as it said 'dear friend' that it was quite formal so signed it yours sincerely too. Maybe best wishes would have been better tho....
Original post by cazza0104
Well I thought as it said 'dear friend' that it was quite formal so signed it yours sincerely too. Maybe best wishes would have been better tho....

i wrote

Your friend,
Maria
Original post by Angelil
Would you really sign a letter to a friend 'Yours sincerely'?

But would you start a letter Dear Friend - I thought as that was pretty formal I would sign off formally too. If they had given a name I would have said something more familiar. How much would I lose for this?
I do agree that asking you to start 'Dear friend' is odd :tongue: They could have given the friend a name themselves to start you off...

It's true that I was maybe a little harsh in my assessment of how many marks you might lose in Q1 for not ending your letter properly. You'd probably lose 1 mark, but not 2. It does of course depend on the quality of the rest of the answer too, though.

For Q2 you will get some marks for 2-3 explanations but it depends more on the quality of the explanations than the quantity as to how many marks you might get.
Original post by Angelil
I do agree that asking you to start 'Dear friend' is odd :tongue: They could have given the friend a name themselves to start you off...

It's true that I was maybe a little harsh in my assessment of how many marks you might lose in Q1 for not ending your letter properly. You'd probably lose 1 mark, but not 2. It does of course depend on the quality of the rest of the answer too, though.

For Q2 you will get some marks for 2-3 explanations but it depends more on the quality of the explanations than the quantity as to how many marks you might get.

Angelil, would I lose marks for saying "Dear Tara" rather than "Dear Friend" - I know it was specified but it's so unnatural that I changed it.
Original post by DontSweatIt
Angelil, would I lose marks for saying "Dear Tara" rather than "Dear Friend" - I know it was specified but it's so unnatural that I changed it.

Her name wasn't tara? i don't know if you would be marked down? it could go either way.
Reply 1246

I wouldn't imagine so. It's just the same as giving the husband a name so. I did the same as you and have done before and nothing has been said about it. Plus it wouldn't hurt your reading OR writing would it so there's no reason for it to be picked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So this exam........................
Original post by ad4m
I wouldn't imagine so. It's just the same as giving the husband a name so. I did the same as you and have done before and nothing has been said about it. Plus it wouldn't hurt your reading OR writing would it so there's no reason for it to be picked at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah fair enough. The day an English exam penalises for creat-- what?
Reply 1249
Original post by ckzsjkc
hi may i ask what zone any of you guys are in.i am in zone 5 and i just did the exam.if any of you find a passage about miss salmon it is really tricky. read the passage very carefully. i lost marks cause i didn't.

I wrote that the student did it, what did you wrote teacher or student?
Original post by Geeko
I wrote that the student did it, what did you wrote teacher or student?

I wrote the teacher did it
Reply 1251
Original post by nusquam
I wrote the teacher did it

you are right
Original post by Geeko
you are right

I don't think there was any right or wrong answer, though - it was open to all kinds of interpretation.

I don't think you'll lose marks for that. Don't worry!
What do you think the grade boundaries will be ? I got 47/50 in coursework so what do u think I would have got to get in Paper 2 to get an A*/A ? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
For q3 bullet point 1 I put:

- continue to relax
- continue to study architecture and be awed by landscape
- worry about husbands health
- continue on itinerary
- continue to learn about wildlife from locals
- continue to be immersed in culture
-take husband home from hospital

Is this okay?
Omfg can't believe a petition was actually made hahaha. This one already has 9000 signatures!

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/lower-grade-boundaries-for-igcse-english-language-2016

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nusquam
I don't think there was any right or wrong answer, though - it was open to all kinds of interpretation.

Yeah. Half of the people in my class wrote that the student did it and the other half wrote that the teacher did it. The mark scheme will probably accept both.

Looking back, I actually did fine on this exam. Let's home paper 3 will be easier tho :/
Give it a rest. Cambridge will take no notice. I speak as an examiner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending