The Student Room Group

Geography ocr b thread 2016

So I've decided to make a thread on the geography OCR B specification because I am very confused as to what we're meant to be learning and about the different case studies we should know about:

My question is do we need to know about the different case studies for the SDME? Can OCR ask us about any of the case studies on the actual SDME?

I have asked my teacher multiple times, and I always get a response saying that we "should be aware of the case studies" - however this doesn't give me a clear answer; do we need to know statistics? Do we need to know the different place names and dates?!

My other question is about the Key Themes exam. What specific case studies should we know about?

And finally, my CGP revision guide has a sections on "Globalisation" and the "Industry", which we haven't learnt in class at all, except for a few bits on the 4 different industries which was LAST YEAR and only for our coursework! Should we know about this?

I am so confused and sort of angry especially since my teacher is **** and I haven't learnt anything from class. Most of what I know is solely from my revision guide... To add to that our class hasn't done ANY PAST PAPERS OR MOCK EXAMS and our exam is about 20 days away.

Any revision tips/answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kevinspl2000
So I've decided to make a thread on the geography OCR B specification because I am very confused as to what we're meant to be learning and about the different case studies we should know about:

My question is do we need to know about the different case studies for the SDME? Can OCR ask us about any of the case studies on the actual SDME?

I have asked my teacher multiple times, and I always get a response saying that we "should be aware of the case studies" - however this doesn't give me a clear answer; do we need to know statistics? Do we need to know the different place names and dates?!

My other question is about the Key Themes exam. What specific case studies should we know about?

And finally, my CGP revision guide has a sections on "Globalisation" and the "Industry", which we haven't learnt in class at all, except for a few bits on the 4 different industries which was LAST YEAR and only for our coursework! Should we know about this?

I am so confused and sort of angry especially since my teacher is **** and I haven't learnt anything from class. Most of what I know is solely from my revision guide... To add to that our class hasn't done ANY PAST PAPERS OR MOCK EXAMS and our exam is about 20 days away.

Any revision tips/answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi I am doing this course too and I am in the exact same boat as you haha (awful teacher)
I am pretty sure we have to know about the case studies along with the key details and facts about them as we would need to recall on this if we got a question on it
The globalisation you should have looked at but it isn't a big or touch topic and you could possibly self learn it yourself,
I hope I helped answering some of your questions and may i ask, what was your coursework question and how many words did you finish on?
Original post by what are gcses
Hi I am doing this course too and I am in the exact same boat as you haha (awful teacher)
I am pretty sure we have to know about the case studies along with the key details and facts about them as we would need to recall on this if we got a question on it
The globalisation you should have looked at but it isn't a big or touch topic and you could possibly self learn it yourself,
I hope I helped answering some of your questions and may i ask, what was your coursework question and how many words did you finish on?

Glad to hear someone can show empathy and is in the same situation as me lol

To be honest I can't remember exactly what it was, I think it went something like "name a recent development in your local area and state whether it was sustainable or not". I think in the end my coursework was at ~3500 words. Hope that helps :smile:

Also, I'm hearing other people saying we don't need to know the case studies and now I'm extremely confused... I've learnt three of them and just left off the flooding in LEDC and Erosional management case studies because I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or not.

Anyway how you feeling about the two exams??
I could be wrong then but it wouldn't suprise me as it was my teacher who told me this and don't think he really knows himself haha
I am pretty confident with both exams tbh I think it is all coming together finally haha wbu??
Hi Kevin,

I did the OCR B Geography course back when I did my GCSEs a few years ago. I can't remember many of the specifics, but I wanted to try and answer your questions anyway.

For the SDME, I would recommend learning the case studies just in case. I can't remember having to use any specific case studies when I did that exam, but it's always good to be prepared in case you do get asked about them (the exam might have changed a bit by now!).

After looking at the specification, the globalisation and industry topics seem to relate to the Economic Development part of the course, so yes you would need to know about those (I remember covering them in class when I did the course).

The specification (here) gives details of the types of case studies you need for each topic, so I would learn any case studies you can find in the revision guide if you haven't already been given them in class. The case studies are important because you need to be able to give examples to back up your points in the exam. Also remember to explain any key terms that you use in your answers, you might not get marks just for using the terms without explaining what they mean.

I'm really sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Original post by what are gcses
I could be wrong then but it wouldn't suprise me as it was my teacher who told me this and don't think he really knows himself haha
I am pretty confident with both exams tbh I think it is all coming together finally haha wbu??

SDME doesn't look too bad, but I'm dreading the key themes. I've only just started revising the case studies for it and I'm only like halfway through the content :redface: I've left revision too late tbh but hopefully I'll get there in the end...

Honestly i think most of my class is gonna fail especially since I attend a state school, our teacher is **** and 99% of the kids dont give a **** lool😂😂

Hopefully I'll get that A tho 😏
haha well good luck in all your exams and especially this one!
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi Kevin,

I did the OCR B Geography course back when I did my GCSEs a few years ago. I can't remember many of the specifics, but I wanted to try and answer your questions anyway.

For the SDME, I would recommend learning the case studies just in case. I can't remember having to use any specific case studies when I did that exam, but it's always good to be prepared in case you do get asked about them (the exam might have changed a bit by now!).

After looking at the specification, the globalisation and industry topics seem to relate to the Economic Development part of the course, so yes you would need to know about those (I remember covering them in class when I did the course).

The specification (here) gives details of the types of case studies you need for each topic, so I would learn any case studies you can find in the revision guide if you haven't already been given them in class. The case studies are important because you need to be able to give examples to back up your points in the exam. Also remember to explain any key terms that you use in your answers, you might not get marks just for using the terms without explaining what they mean.

I'm really sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Reply 8
Original post by kevinspl2000

Hi I was told the same thing that we needed to be 'aware' of the case studies for the SDME. Though I am now hearing people say that we should learn them?
You won't be asked about case studies in the SDME. The only reason you may want to know them is so you can refer to them in your decision. For example, if it was on flood management, you could add your decision on what happened in a case study you learnt and say "zoning worked in ......... So it could work in this area too".

For the case studies for the key themes there are a few you could be asked about but only one will come up for each section of the paper, but unfortunately you need to know them all just in case.

Population and settlement
International migration
Internal migration
Population control
Changes in land use in an urban area
Changes in retail/shopping

Natural Hazards
Tectonic hazard in an LEDC
Tectonic hazard in an MEDC
Climatic hazard in an LEDC
Climatic hazard I an MEDC

Economic Development
How location factors affect industry (I'm not sure if you have to know an MEDC and an LEDC but if you can learn both just in case)
An example of an aid project in an LEDC
Conflict between the environment and industrial development
A multinational corporation

Let me know if I missed any. Even if they don't come up, it's useful to know them all because sometimes they can help you answer the other questions.

You will need to know about globalisation and industry so make sure you revise that!

The best way to revise is practice questions, revise all the content. For case studies, I make flash cards with questions on the back so I read the flash cards then answer the questions on it. To get high marks on the case studies, you need to learn at least 3 pieces of place specific detail.
By that I mean things like birth rates, number of factories, specific numbers/places.

For the SDME, look at some past papers so you have an idea of what kind of things will be asked. The last time rivers and coasts was on the SDME was 2012. Revise the content, if you look at case studies, I recommend you look at one LEDC and one MEDC (especially for rivers) so depending what country/place comes up, you have ideas of management techniques and effects from other places.
Reply 10
Original post by Geographylover
You won't be asked about case studies in the SDME. The only reason you may want to know them is so you can refer to them in your decision. For example, if it was on flood management, you could add your decision on what happened in a case study you learnt and say "zoning worked in ......... So it could work in this area too".

For the case studies for the key themes there are a few you could be asked about but only one will come up for each section of the paper, but unfortunately you need to know them all just in case.

Population and settlement
International migration
Internal migration
Population control
Changes in land use in an urban area
Changes in retail/shopping

Natural Hazards
Tectonic hazard in an LEDC
Tectonic hazard in an MEDC
Climatic hazard in an LEDC
Climatic hazard I an MEDC

Economic Development
How location factors affect industry (I'm not sure if you have to know an MEDC and an LEDC but if you can learn both just in case)
An example of an aid project in an LEDC
Conflict between the environment and industrial development
A multinational corporation

Let me know if I missed any. Even if they don't come up, it's useful to know them all because sometimes they can help you answer the other questions.

You will need to know about globalisation and industry so make sure you revise that!

The best way to revise is practice questions, revise all the content. For case studies, I make flash cards with questions on the back so I read the flash cards then answer the questions on it. To get high marks on the case studies, you need to learn at least 3 pieces of place specific detail.
By that I mean things like birth rates, number of factories, specific numbers/places.

For the SDME, look at some past papers so you have an idea of what kind of things will be asked. The last time rivers and coasts was on the SDME was 2012. Revise the content, if you look at case studies, I recommend you look at one LEDC and one MEDC (especially for rivers) so depending what country/place comes up, you have ideas of management techniques and effects from other places.

Thank you so much!
Hi all,

What I was told by my teacher is that Rivers or Coasts may come up in the SDME this year, as these have not come up in the last four years I believe. Plus, you don't need to remember case studies for this paper but linking back to place specifics is always good to help develop your point.
Does anyone have any tips on how to develop your answers on the decision making question?
Original post by SamSp123
Does anyone have any tips on how to develop your answers on the decision making question?

Honestly, Just try to link it to three points: Environmental, Social and Economical.
Hi does anyone have any idea on how to stop flooding I know about flood embankments, floodplains and Zoning are there any more ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Masterdigdas
Hi all,

What I was told by my teacher is that Rivers or Coasts may come up in the SDME this year, as these have not come up in the last four years I believe. Plus, you don't need to remember case studies for this paper but linking back to place specifics is always good to help develop your point.

Rivers and Coasts is the definite theme of the SDME this year :smile:
Reply 16
On the ocr b geography specification, it says we need 'appropriate examples' of fluvial landforms, ie waterfalls, meanders. Do these need to be examples of in the UK, or can it be anywhere? Can I use the Grand Canyon, USA as an example of a v shaped valley?
Reply 17
Original post by Kasim.din
Hi does anyone have any idea on how to stop flooding I know about flood embankments, floodplains and Zoning are there any more ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard engineering:
- embankments
- channelisation
- dams and reservoirs

Soft engineering:
- digging a flood relief channel
- planting water loving plants
- setting embankments back from the channel
- dredging rivers to remove silt, sand etc, to enlarge the channel

Dams, River Engineering the river channel may be widened or deepened allowing it to carry more water, afforestation. Not sure if this is what you meant at
Posted from TSR Mobile

You could say channel straightening, preparation, dams and reservoirs and flood warnings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending