The Student Room Group

Left revision too late!

I usually revise from flash cards. I have completed the packs of revision cards for the sciences but I still have 8 subjects to make revision cards for. They take so much time and I don't think I'm going to have enough time to finish making them and look over them before the exams. My exams start in less than 2 weeks. Help please!
Reply 1

Spoiler

I've made flash cards for Religious Studies. I'd swap them with you for the science ones?

What exam board are they?
Original post by Himtiaz
I've made flash cards for Religious Studies. I'd swap them with you for the science ones?

What exam board are they?

I'm not doing the RE short course anymore, sorry! The exam board is WJEC
Reply 3
Original post by ffionhafevans1
I'm not doing the RE short course anymore, sorry! The exam board is WJEC

Which subjects are you doing?
Are any of them AQA?
Reply 4
Original post by Himtiaz
Which subjects are you doing?
Are any of them AQA?

I'm doing the three Sciences, English Lit, English Lang, History, Geography, French, Astronomy, C1 Maths A level (as I completed my Maths GCSE in November and achieved an A*) and the Level 2 Further Maths Certificate. All of them are WJEC except for Astronomy which is Edexcel
Reply 6
I'm doing the three Sciences, English Lit, English Lang, History, Geography, French, Astronomy, C1 Maths A level (as I completed my Maths GCSE in November and achieved an A*) and the Level 2 Further Maths Certificate. All of them are WJEC except for Astronomy which is Edexcel

I am yet to do Geography, but I have done English Lit.
What stories are you doing?
Original post by Himtiaz
I am yet to do Geography, but I have done English Lit.
What stories are you doing?

A Christmas Carol and A View from the Bridge.Which ones are you studying?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
A Christmas Carol and A View from the Bridge

I have notes on A view from the Bridge
What about the poems
When could you send me your science flashcards?
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi don't worry, I left revision really late (even the night before) for my GCSEs, but still did well. Here's what I did:
For sciences - if you don't have any more time to write the notes, just print off the specification and then memorise it. The spec literally gives you everything you need to know and there's not much to learn, then just do practice papers. If you don't understand anything, the CGP guides were really good, or youtube videos (best channel = mygcsescience).

For english - I didn't read my books till the day before my exam because I found it so boring, so I read it while listening to an audio book on youtube which made me more engaged to the story. Then I just looked at different scenes for different themes etc. that might come up in the exam and just analysed key points. No need for notes, as long as you know whats going on and how to develop your ideas.

Geography - I didn't make notes at all, I used the CGP revision guide and simply memorised everything. Our teacher gave us a checklist of what we needed to know (using the specification) so just made sure i covered all the points.Try and learn the case studies now because I saved it for the morning of the exam by waking up 2 hours earlier and it probably was one of the most stressful exam days:s-smilie:.

Maths - You don't really need to spend too long on notes, I didn't make notes for it and just used the CGP revision guide again, but mainly just did loads of past papers. If you really need to write notes, just write down formulas that you need to remember etc.

For french - I didn't write any notes either. There was a good app called memrise, and you can download a GCSE french pack and its a really easy way of learning all the gcse vocab you need to look out for during your reading exam, and words you need to listen out for during your listening exam - in a form of a game. Then doing past papers would be good if you have time to test what you've learnt from it,.

Just focus less on your flashcards now and start memorising and practicing. I was in the same position and realised that notes won't really be that useful if you don't have time left to look back on them and learn them. You still have some time left, I suggest you spend at least 2 days on each subject then do hardcore revision the night before each exam. Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, I'm really sleepy now aha. Good luck!

Thank you so much!
Hi don't worry, I left revision really late (even the night before) for my GCSEs, but still did well. Here's what I did:
For sciences - if you don't have any more time to write the notes, just print off the specification and then memorise it. The spec literally gives you everything you need to know and there's not much to learn, then just do practice papers. If you don't understand anything, the CGP guides were really good, or youtube videos (best channel = mygcsescience).

For english - I didn't read my books till the day before my exam because I found it so boring, so I read it while listening to an audio book on youtube which made me more engaged to the story. Then I just looked at different scenes for different themes etc. that might come up in the exam and just analysed key points. No need for notes, as long as you know whats going on and how to develop your ideas.

Geography - I didn't make notes at all, I used the CGP revision guide and simply memorised everything. Our teacher gave us a checklist of what we needed to know (using the specification) so just made sure i covered all the points.Try and learn the case studies now because I saved it for the morning of the exam by waking up 2 hours earlier and it probably was one of the most stressful exam days:s-smilie:.

Maths - You don't really need to spend too long on notes, I didn't make notes for it and just used the CGP revision guide again, but mainly just did loads of past papers. If you really need to write notes, just write down formulas that you need to remember etc.

For french - I didn't write any notes either. There was a good app called memrise, and you can download a GCSE french pack and its a really easy way of learning all the gcse vocab you need to look out for during your reading exam, and words you need to listen out for during your listening exam - in a form of a game. Then doing past papers would be good if you have time to test what you've learnt from it,.

Just focus less on your flashcards now and start memorising and practicing. I was in the same position and realised that notes won't really be that useful if you don't have time left to look back on them and learn them. You still have some time left, I suggest you spend at least 2 days on each subject then do hardcore revision the night before each exam. Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, I'm really sleepy now aha. Good luck!

Woow same with the late situation as the OP here. May I ask what grades you got! And thankyou for the tips!!:smile:
I usually revise from flash cards. I have completed the packs of revision cards for the sciences but I still have 8 subjects to make revision cards for. They take so much time and I don't think I'm going to have enough time to finish making them and look over them before the exams. My exams start in less than 2 weeks. Help please!

Why are you on here wasting time?
Hi I got 9A*s 1A and 1B. I didn't expect it at ALL and spent most days crying after exams because I thought I failed everything.

The thing is, I've made the same mistake for my AS levels (with exams in less than two weeks) even though i promised myself I won't make the same mistake. :s-smilie:and iI don't think it would be as easy to sort my revision out and pick my grades back up with so little time :frown: oh well, I'll see how to goes. Make sure you don't make the same mistake like I have aha.

Anyways good luck!

Oh my gosh. That's actually amazing!. You give me some hope. Gosh you sound exactly like me:colondollar: I tell myself that I'll do it early but always leaves it till last minute. :colonhash:
Do you have any other tips to memorise/learn things in this short time. I'm panicking so much :frown:

And Good luck for your exams! I'm sure you'll be able to do amazing:smile:
haha it's one of the things i really hate about myself because I hate being so stressed when exams are so close. :five:
Which subjects are you finding hard to memorise in particular?

When I had the time to write notes, i basically copied out the spec (mainly just copied and pasted them onto a word document) then made each line a different colour.
I printed it off then memorised it, I found it easier to memorise in different colours and spaced out onto a page, instead of being crammed in the format of the actual specification.

For each page of notes ,I usually just say each sentence our loud and repeat it a few times till I've memorised it, then once I've gone through a page, I say each line from memory out loud.

After each page, I also made up questions about the different things I've memorised from it, so I can look back and test my self easily, specifically for that page of notes.
For example, if the page was a biology topic on gas exchange and lungs, one of the questions would be, how are lungs adapted for gas exchange? etc.

Particularly for the science subjects, after I memorised the notes for a certain topic, I watched a 10minute video on that topic on MyGCSEscience channel/website. They're really good, especially since memorising isn't always good as sometimes you don't understand what you've memorised.

As everyone says, do as much practice papers as you can. Unfortunately i didn't have time to do mine even though I printed out loads, so now I have a drawer full of them . :s-smilie:

How many subjects are you taking and when is your first exam?
I tried to make sure I split up my time spending at least two days for each subject, instead of doing chunks for multiple subjects per day, because that way you feel like you've got more things done and can move on. Also, it's confusing to be memorising things for different subjects all in a day. The GCSE courses are pretty short when you look at the spec. So you can pretty much fit in at least module a day. E.g. do B1 in one day, then B2&3 the next day.

Sorry to write so much, I always wished someone gave me advice when I was stressing about my GCSE revision. Instead, everyone gave me the typical "Just get off TSR and revise" type of advice. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

oh and thanks! but I highly doubt that I'm gonna do well :nope: :smile:

I'll be sure to do the biology method for definite-for all my sciences!
I'm finding English, geography and math hard to cram right now. Especially English lit- I have 2 lit exams before my study leave so its getting to me I guess. I'm doing 10 subjects- and First exam is on the 18th :redface:
Did you do anything particular for the languages?

Spoiler

And noo! Don't worry about the writitng! You've helped me so much! Loool I understand the "get off TSR and revise" 'advice' :lol:

And yep I think I'd have to get up early for most my exams. Not that fun when your not an early bird

Spoiler

Lets hope for the best ehh and pull through this:redface:

THANKYOUUU SOOO MUCH again!!!:smile::biggrin:
Have a look on getrevising.com, the likelihood is someone will've made flash cards for your exam board & subject :smile:
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
I'll be sure to do the biology method for definite-for all my sciences!
I'm finding English, geography and math hard to cram right now. Especially English lit- I have 2 lit exams before my study leave so its getting to me I guess. I'm doing 10 subjects- and First exam is on the 18th :redface:
Did you do anything particular for the languages?

THANKYOUUU SOOO MUCH again!!!:smile::biggrin:

Haha don't worry about the questions either!

Languages

Spoiler

Geography

Spoiler

maths

Spoiler

English

Spoiler

I hope you did well on your speaking!

So subjects I'd focus on doing past papers for:
Maths,
languages,