The Student Room Group

I'm a Muslim guy and I had a relationship with an Atheist girl. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
:confused:

Spoiler

yes :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyou
????
I didn't say that. He can live his life anyway he wants to, it's called free will. I'm not invalidating any of my previous statements by saying that he has free will.

If Islam is not for you, it's not for you. Simple

Quran (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."
As long as you repented, then I have nothing to say.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
Yep, exactly that. AMA. :smile:

How old are you?
Original post by KaminiZindagi
Quick Q

If a non muslim wants tolive his free will in a muslim country.would you allow it?

Islam doesnot say to give harm to a non-muslim unless you are in situation of a war.. & there r many non-muslims living in saudi arabia.. even in pakistan there r churches & temples for non-muslims..
what else ???
I pray 5 times a day as much as possible. I'm fairly religious, but the heart wants what the heart wants :/ I don't drink though the girl I was in a relationship with obviously did

did you *do* anything in the relationship?
Original post by AverageExcellence
Quran (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."

I'm guessing you've never studied the Quran, and specifically that ayah, once in your life.

A quick google search for that ayah and it's context will suffice.
Original post by Kyou
I'm guessing you've never studied the Quran, and specifically that ayah, once in your life.

A quick google search for that ayah and it's context will suffice.

Im guessing you're one of the 'its not in context if its unflattering but its a candle to hold if its light and fluffy' types. It is a blatently apologistic 'No true scotsman'ite viewpoint which assumes whats the correct interpretation and context as and when it suits him.. its there in black and white.. don't pretend its a legit interpretation to assume it is 100% individualistic and has no compulsion on others when 90% of muslim scholars would quite clearly contradict you.

A condescending tone will only demean you own standing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Good girl.

*cough* boy *cough*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 149
*cough* boy *cough*

She's a guy?
Original post by Josb
She's a guy?

it is a he.
the person has a dic*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
She's a guy?

Tran?
Reply 153
it is a he.
the person has a dic*

Posted from TSR Mobile

@Eternalflames
You have a dick?
... its there in black and white.. don't pretend its a legit interpretation to assume it is 100% individualistic and has no compulsion on others when 90% of muslim scholars would quite clearly contradict you.

Kyou is right, you don't appear to have know much about the Quran simply based on how you throw that bit around out of context.

The Quran wasn't thrown out there all at once, rather Muhammad revealed bits and pieces of it over the course of over a decade, mostly when there was a need for it. The bit about the headscarf, for example, was in response to a situation that came about because the mosque in Medina doubled as Muhammad's own home, and as the muslim community walked in and out at their pleasure there was a growing problem of privacy for his wives who had to endure constant staring as they were in their rooms around the courtyard.

It's the same with the bit about killing the unbelievers - it has to be understood in the context of its time. This Surah specifically was revealed during a military confrontation with the Byzantine Empire. There are several other parts where the Quran states that there is no coercion in the faith, and that if you get into an argument with nonbelievers you shall say "To you your religion, to me mine."
Original post by Sir Fox
There are several other parts where the Quran states that there is no coercion in the faith, and that if you get into an argument with nonbelievers you shall say "To you your religion, to me mine."

You can cherry pick whatever context you like to support a viewpoint convincingly but you can't say one is any more right than the other. Why would a book purportedly stemming from absolute perfect divine wisdom be so context specific making general application ambiguous?

To address your point, 'To you your religion, to me mine' - its all well and good saying that, but there is clear precedence and theory established across the board that in an ideal islamic society, Jizya should be paid by non-muslims... this clearly has the connotation of subordination to islam and clearly not an equal relationship, and an obvious incentive to push for conversion..

This supports the point that you cannot imply any true Islamic practicing of faith is 100% individualistic as any objective application would at least impose, at the very least indirect, compulsion on others around them.
Original post by Josb
@Eternalflames
You have a dick?

Hahahah, I switched my gender symbol for comedy purposes last week so they actually think I'm a dude :toofunny:

But I assure you I am a girl :biggrin:
*cough* boy *cough*

Original post by Josb
She's a guy?

it is a he.
the person has a dic*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tran?

HAHAHAHAH!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I should switch the gender sign more often! :toofunny:
Yeah, a lot of my friends did that.. it's never really worked out for them.. I think itd be more difficult to date a Muslim girl due to parent issues... most muslim parents are extremely strict in that sense

wait till university it will het a lot easier to date a muslim- but then stay within your limits with greater freedom comes greater responsibility then talk to her parents if u like her
You can cherry pick whatever context you like to support a viewpoint convincingly but you can't say one is any more right than the other. Why would a book purportedly stemming from absolute perfect divine wisdom be so context specific making general application ambiguous?

Probably because there isn't really a magical being in the sky, nothing supernatural, and Muhammad (who genuinely believed himself to be the messenger of god though) revealed the bits and pieces of the Quran as there was a need for them through new challenges, religious and secular.

To address your point, 'To you your religion, to me mine' - its all well and good saying that, but there is clear precedence and theory established across the board that in an ideal islamic society, Jizya should be paid by non-muslims... this clearly has the connotation of subordination to islam and clearly not an equal relationship, and an obvious incentive to push for conversion.

Yes, again, historic context. How did European states deal with non-Christians throughout the middle ages? What did they do to the Jews? I guess you will find that most of them would have preferred paying a tax (that was not imposed on women, children, the ill, the disabled, monks, the elders and anyone who couldn't afford it) over being lynched in a pogrom because someone thought they poisoned a well.

And the Jizya disappeared, currently no country (including even Saudi-Arabia, Afghanistan, Iran, Sudan ...) levies it. So again - history. Look at Muhammad's policies and you will find that for their time they were socially radical.

This supports the point that you cannot imply any true Islamic practicing of faith is 100% individualistic as any objective application would at least impose, at the very least indirect, compulsion on others around them.

In that I agree - there is no 100% true Islam, but rather a variety of viewpoints.

Quick Reply