The Student Room Group

Will you be voting in today's local elections?

Scroll to see replies

I was going to vote in Nuneaton but didn't change my address to uni due to it being a pretty much guaranteed lib dem/labour council due to the amount of students
I didn't even know there was any voting today. I've had no contact from any of the people running - I couldn't even tell you which parties were running. I thought the next voting thing was the EU one. Anyone else?
Original post by Keyhofi
I didn't even know there was any voting today. I've had no contact from any of the people running - I couldn't even tell you which parties were running. I thought the next voting thing was the EU one. Anyone else?

Where abouts do you live? There are Assembly elections in Wales, Scotland, London and Northern Ireland, Mayoral elections in London, Liverpool, Bristol and Salford, Police and Crime Commissioner elections everywhere in England except London and Manchester, local council elections in most but not all of England except in London, and parliamentary by-elections in Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough and Ogmore.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Where abouts do you live? There are Assembly elections in Wales, Scotland, London and Northern Ireland, Mayoral elections in London, Liverpool, Bristol and Salford, Police and Crime Commissioner elections everywhere in England except London and Manchester, local council elections in most but not all of England except in London, and parliamentary by-elections in Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough and Ogmore.

Currently I'm in Glasgow, Scotland.
Original post by Keyhofi
Currently I'm in Glasgow, Scotland.

So if you're registered, you can vote today in the Scottish Parliament election. The SNP there are looking to retain their majority and if they do, there's a strong chance they will eventually call a second referendum on independence. In terms of other options, there's Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dems and UKIP who are all opposed to independence, and the Greens, RISE and Solidarity who are in favour, as well as possibly TUSC depending on which part of Glasgow you're in. You've also got the Women's Equality Party who are largely ambivilent. The Scottish Parliament also has power over health, education, the legal system, housing and culture amongst many other areas, so is a very powerful body. Every party also has their manifesto published online stating what they intend to do if elected.
So if you're registered, you can vote today in the Scottish Parliament election. The SNP there are looking to retain their majority and if they do, there's a strong chance they will eventually call a second referendum on independence. In terms of other options, there's Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dems and UKIP who are all opposed to independence, and the Greens, RISE and Solidarity who are in favour, as well as possibly TUSC depending on which part of Glasgow you're in. You've also got the Women's Equality Party who are largely ambivilent. The Scottish Parliament also has power over health, education, the legal system, housing and culture amongst many other areas, so is a very powerful body. Every party also has their manifesto published online stating what they intend to do if elected.

Interesting, I'm not sure if I will vote though. I don't particularly feel too strongly about any of the parties, I'm a doctoral student so it's fairly rare for any politcal policy to have an effect on me. Politicians tend to either target the working class, students (aka potential undergrads and Master's students), the unemployed/those on benefits, or the retired. We are sort of like a forgotten group. I'm also moving to Edinburgh in a few weeks (I am only here in Glasgow as a visiting researcher for the past few months), so what happens on this side of the country isn't all that important to my future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Keyhofi
Interesting, I'm not sure if I will vote though. I don't particularly feel too strongly about any of the parties, I'm a doctoral student so it's fairly rare for any politcal policy to have an effect on me. Politicians tend to either target the working class, students (aka potential undergrads and Master's students), or the unemployed/those on benefits. We are sort of like a forgotten group. I'm also moving to Edinburgh in a few weeks, so what happens on this side of the country isn't all that important to my future.

Since it's an election to the Scottish Parliament rather than a local council, it'll affect Edinburgh as much as Glasgow. It depends whether or not you have views on some of the major issues being campaigned on. Should there be another independence referendum? Should income tax be raised to fund spending, as Labour and the Lib Dems propose, or perhaps rises in council tax instead which the SNP want? Should there be more private involvement in the NHS? Should fracking be banned?
YES! I love voting, I get so excited about democracy in action, even if the results aren't always the fairest in terms of FPTP or whatever. I just think that people died for my right to vote, as both a woman and a part of the working class, so I damn well better use my vote!

I think I'll vote to re-elect my PCC, he's really cracked down on the drugs rings in the area.
Original post by Nirgilis
Can confirm I voted at 7.20 today :teeth:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beat you to it by two days. Postal votes for the win. :teeth:
Just back from voting in the Scottish Parliament elections.

Original post by Keyhofi
Interesting, I'm not sure if I will vote though. I don't particularly feel too strongly about any of the parties, I'm a doctoral student so it's fairly rare for any politcal policy to have an effect on me. Politicians tend to either target the working class, students (aka potential undergrads and Master's students), the unemployed/those on benefits, or the retired. We are sort of like a forgotten group. I'm also moving to Edinburgh in a few weeks (I am only here in Glasgow as a visiting researcher for the past few months), so what happens on this side of the country isn't all that important to my future.

Your vote will have a direct influence on the makeup of the Scottish Parliament, which will affect you whether you live in Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Original post by Smack
Your vote will have a direct influence on the makeup of the Scottish Parliament, which will affect you whether you live in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Since it's an election to the Scottish Parliament rather than a local council, it'll affect Edinburgh as much as Glasgow. It depends whether or not you have views on some of the major issues being campaigned on. Should there be another independence referendum? Should income tax be raised to fund spending, as Labour and the Lib Dems propose, or perhaps rises in council tax instead which the SNP want? Should there be more private involvement in the NHS? Should fracking be banned?

Oops, didn't quite make that connection earlier. Hmm.. then maybe I will. Thanks for the advice and tips!

Although I will say that tax issues don't affect me as I don't pay tax, and if there is independence I would still be up here due to all the contracts, and after my doctorate I could always move back down South or elsewhere in the world. Scotland may well be my future home (the cities I have lived up here or visited have been impressive compared to those I ever encountered in my 22 years in England), but I might get homesick in the future or go looking for new adventures elsewhere in the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Libs want Cannabis.

that's my trend politically but it police crime commissioners so i'll have to read and make a choice
Not voting in the PCC election because I don't know anything about it.

Wish I could #BackZac in the London mayoral election, but alas I do not have a vote.
Voting for Libs for a change
Already voted! (in Scotland) :smile:
Nope, only got PCC elections, both at uni and home, both safe, and I don't believe the position should exist in the first place.
Voting this evening. :five:

Please TSRians, go and vote - no matter who you are voting for, please please use the right you have. Governments ignore us and our interests (under 30s) because we don't vote in large numbers.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not voting in the PCC election because I don't know anything about it.

Wish I could #BackZac in the London mayoral election, but alas I do not have a vote.

There's a local website for your location telling you more about the PCC elections. It will be on your local authority website.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Nope, only got PCC elections, both at uni and home, both safe, and I don't believe the position should exist in the first place.

I'm voting in London but for the first time I've decided not to use a vote I'm entitled to in my university constituency for the PCC. I believe casting a vote gives it legitimacy and my opinion of it should be abolished is better expressed by refusing to vote.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's a local website for your location telling you more about the PCC elections. It will be on your local authority website.

I don't see how my voting based on a quick perusal of one website could really bring anything of value to the whole affair :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending