The Student Room Group

Men should stop pressurising yourself to be breadwinners

Scroll to see replies

the problem is that the system runs as follows
learn
earn
you fail to learn you don't earn you fail to earn and society will complain regardless of who you are and why but to be in with a chance of success in life to meet the quotas so
for you get married, have kids and retire you need money
it's part of human instinct as far back as you can go even with cavemen the most powerful and dominant had the best woman avalible as he had the best food
now food isn't an issue in the same way but replace that with car, job or money and you can see the point of it all
Original post by hezzlington
Of course women pressure themselves, just like men do! Maybe not to the extent that men do. Is there inherently anything wrong with gender roles?

And extent is the important thing - extent determines the level of consequence.

Yes and no.
I think it goes both ways. Modern Western society puts pressure on both men and women to achieve a respectable career, own house and nice vehicle, in order to attain social status.
Original post by rEaR vIeW
There's no point arguing with her/him/whatever they are. As you've said, we're designed in a manner to want to be a breadwinner, just like women are designed to be attracted to men with high earnings. You can't argue with nature, and although times are changing this particular concept (in a simple form) is inherent within us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are not arguing, we are discussing.

I think we need to be careful in using a word such as 'designed'.
Men are the providers, women are the carers. That's how its always been.

Men have higher paying jobs for that reason. They are usually more motivated and willing to put in the extra hours.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Men are the providers, women are the carers. That's how its always been.

Men have higher paying jobs for that reason. They are usually more motivated and willing to put in the extra hours.

What about in homosexual relationships? Who's the provider/carer then?
What about in homosexual relationships? Who's the provider/carer then?

We are discussing males and females, not homosexual couples.

In my opinion homosexual parents shouldn't be able to adopt anyway, so it's fine for them both to work full time.
Does anyone have any clear evidence to present that this is purely social, and not at all biological?

Because I'm sceptical, and as far as I can tell most of the content of OP's article is the Independent's own interpretation of the study.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Does anyone have any clear evidence to present that this is purely social, and not at all biological?

Because I'm sceptical, and as far as I can tell most of the content of OP's article is the Independent's own interpretation of the study.

Do you think it's mostly biological?
Reply 29
women have problems men are responsible.
Men have problems men are responsible
Original post by WoodyMKC
I think it goes both ways. Modern Western society puts pressure on both men and women to achieve a respectable career, own house and nice vehicle, in order to attain social status.

I think a little bit of pressure is good. It's what drives us, or at least, keeps us going when things get tough.
Do you think it's mostly biological?

I think it's at least partly biological. I'm sure it's socially reinforced.

I don't actually know this, though, which is why I asked for evidence.

Nor do I think that it ultimately makes that much difference. Clearly men cannot just 'stop putting such pressure on themselves', just like that, even if it is 'merely' social.
I am not the breadwinner.. my gf is ... i am the bacon and ketchup winner
I think a little bit of pressure is good. It's what drives us, or at least, keeps us going when things get tough.

Absolutely, but when you have people getting depressed and/or committing suicide because they have low self esteem where they feel like they're no good because they don't have what their peers have, or being turned down by potential dates because they work somewhere of low social status, or young people going nuts because of exam pressure which paradoxically is affecting their grades... bit too much pressure, me thinks.
Original post by rEaR vIeW
"Hey look at me! Just because I'm homosexual I'm gonna go on a crusade against all normal conventions!"

Posted from TSR Mobile

What has my sexuality got to do with anything? 'Normal' changes as time goes on.

Grow up and stop being such a ****ing child.
We are discussing males and females, not homosexual couples.

In my opinion homosexual parents shouldn't be able to adopt anyway, so it's fine for them both to work full time.

Except that isn't the reality - we can adopt. As such, his question is still valid.
Original post by ivybridge
Except that isn't the reality - we can adopt. As such, his question is still valid.

I never said they couldn't, just that in my opinion I don't think they should be able to.

And no, it isn't, as we are discussing males and females. It's off topic.
Im always the breadwinner ,Just purchase my loaf of hovis down the local Londis.Simple
I never said they couldn't, just that in my opinion I don't think they should be able to.

And no, it isn't, as we are discussing males and females. It's off topic.

Well, actually the thread pertains to men and the pressure placed on them to be breadwinners. The type of relationship is not relevant.
Reply 39
Original post by WoodyMKC
Absolutely, but when you have people getting depressed and/or committing suicide because they have low self esteem where they feel like they're no good because they don't have what their peers have, or being turned down by potential dates because they work somewhere of low social status, or young people going nuts because of exam pressure which paradoxically is affecting their grades... bit too much pressure, me thinks.

Repped. Also mirin fatceps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending